Question for patdog & others that think Cohen should be fired this season or next.

CadaverDawg

Dec 5, 2011
Question for patdog & others that think Cohen should be fired this season or next.

Are you going to be ready to fire Rick Ray if we aren't in the Sweet 16 in year 4? If not, are you not being hypocritical? Cohen made it to the baseball version of the Sweet 16 in year 3 in the toughest baseball conference, but you want him gone.....So, by your standards Rick Ray should definitely make it to the Sweet 16 by year 3 or 4 because he plays in a much easier basketball league. Right?

I don't know when some of you think we became a national power house athletic program, but the **** amazes me. In 5 SEC series, we have played 3 top 10 teams. So naturally, you would hope to take 1 from each of those series, and at least 2 from Auburn and Vandy. So optimistically before the season, you're hoping for 7 wins after this weekend. Well, we're at 5 right now with a 6th possibly tomorrow. And in those series we have lost nail biters to LSU(twice), Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina. 5 games that could have easily gone our way but didn't, yet we're still only 1 to 2 games off of where we optimistically would hope to be coming in to this season. That's not even bringing injuries or Caleb Reed's awful year into the conversation. So if you really claim to know baseball, how can you say "Cohen will get 1 more year, but he definitely doesn't deserve 2"? That is complete ignorance when read by someone who knows the game of baseball, especially SEC baseball.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008

But I think a lot of our fans have already decided to not give him a fair chance.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006

Adding Missouri will certainly strengthen the league. Off the top of my head (and certainly correct me if I'm wrong), A&M has certainly been decent the past 3 or 4 years. This year they were atrocious.

Both basketball and baseball were left in shambles but the SEC landscape is entirely different in each sport. The ceiling of our programs are different in both sports as well.

In year4 of Rick Ray basketball, I expectus to be one of the top 5 or 6teams in the league in the regular season. I expect us to have a NCAA tourney appearance. We may barely sneak in. As far as a Sweet 16, that may be a little unrealistic for a coach and team that has never been in the tournament ever before.ESPECIALLY, a program that hasn't been there in 20 years. Remember, the last timewould be 1996. It would be 2016.

It's comparing apples to oranges. But yes, I expect more out of our baseball program than our basketball program. On a side note, I enjoy following baseball moreso than basketball. My childhood memories are from sitting with mygrandfather in the Mclub watching football games and sitting in thecheapseats watching baseball.

Let's be clear. Cohen SHOULD NOT be fired this year. If he hosts aregional nextyear or makes it as a strong 2 seed next year, he should beretained.I want to see some regular season successandsomeadditional postseason success (or at least beina good position to makea run) to prove that last season was not a fluke.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

It doesn't take four years to build a baseball or basketball program. </p>

statemba

Jun 12, 2005

Big D said:
It doesn't take four years to build a baseball or basketball program. </p>
If you look at the standings just about everyone in the SEC is within a game or two of each other. It is a very close race every year and there isn't really a whole lot of difference in the teams from year to year. This year at MSU we got caught where we are having to play tons of freshmen and sophomores and then on top of that we have had several key injuries to our best players that set us back a few weekends of SEC play. I think the goal for Cohen this year is to just make a regional. If he does that then he will be fine and 2013 is the year he will be set up to do really well and make a run with practically everyone back on the team outside of Reed, Routt, Brownlee and probably Stratton.
t don
If you look at all Cohen returns in 2013 he should have one of the more experienced clubs in the SEC. I expect him to be in contention for a regional host next year and to be ranked most of the year. People wanting him fired this year just don't understand the make up of this year's team compared to our competition. We lost almost all our lineup last year after the Super Regional run. Most people realized it would be a struggle this year offensively.

patdog

May 28, 2007

As for the original poster, no I don't expect Ray to get us to the Sweet 16 by his 4th year. The simple fact is the ceiling is higher for us in baseball than it is in basketball. I'm not living on a lot of past glory in baseball and unrealistic expectations. There were a lot of years in the past that were pretty bad (80, 82, 86, 87 until we got hot at the very end of the season, most of the mid-90s). But we can realistically finish .500 in the SEC half the time and host a regional every 3 years or so. That's very realistic. Mike Bianco has done that at Mississippi. There's no reason it can't be done at Mississippi State. None. And, from what I see, we're just not getting there. I could be wrong, and I hope I am. But I just don't see any real improvement in our program over Polk II.

G

Goat Still Grindin

how closely can you actually follow the program that way? You can't. It explains your ignorance and emotional outbursts as well. You can so easily tell that you (and many other haters) don't watch the games at all. All you do is make judgments based on the scorecard.<div>
</div><div>If you were like me, and could actually see where we were 2008-2010, you'd almost be overwhelmed by Cohen's program development..</div>

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006

I mean I was working while I was checking the livestats. I don't have time to watch every single game available on M2M. I didn'twatch the Friday South Carolina gameuntil the top of the 8th.I was busy.

I remember how terrible we were. We were in last place then. We are still in the bottom quarter of the league.

Look, I answered the question. It doesn't appear you disagree. You just wanted to attack me. Continue to Grind for Cohen.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

I am not advocatingCohen being fired yet. But if you look at Polk's last four years he made three SEC tourneys, three regional, one super regional and College World Series.Cohenhe has made one SEC tourney, one regional and one Super regional all in the same year. Based upon our Baseball history it it not too much to ask that the team at lest make the SEC tourney every year. If Cohen doesn't at lest make the SEC tourney this yearhe should be fired. I have been hearing this we are young **** ever since he has been here. I would be lying if I said I was satisfied with our baseball program. I am not going to accept a good team every three years. We just got too good of a baseball history to continually be a non factor in the SEC.

weblow

Mar 3, 2008

Big D said:
We just got too good of a baseball history to continually be a non factor in the SEC.

That history means **** to any recruit out there, not a damn thing.

We have constantly sat back and relied on our history to build this program and it worked for a number of years.

We are no longer the number one place to watch a collegiate baseball game, haven't been for years. We no longer have the recruits begging to play for us, haven't for years.

Our history while impressive and fascinating to many of us that were alive to see it and live it doesn't mean a damn thing. Not in the league and not in this state anymore.

Once you acknowledge that our history doesn't mean **** to anyone but you and me, you will begin to see the problem with this program.

Truth be told, LT and Polk 2.0 were the closest thing to suicide this program has ever seen. I know many of you don't agree but we are doing everything short of building a new stadium to try and right the ship. Cohen is pushing and these players are fighting. I know that is not a popular opinion here but that is what is going on.

RonnyAtmosphere

Jun 4, 2007

..nobody knows what Rick Ray will do, yet we've been watching Cohen for years now & it's just getting worse.

This baseball team is a mess. People who have seen them in person claim they are a mess; people who have seen them on TV claim they are a mess. People who possess inside knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes claim they are a mess. And most importantly, the overall & league records indicate they are a mess.

If you think we should keep a baseball coach that has created a mess, then welcome to the MSU family. Because your train of thought is in line with 95% of the MSU fanbase.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

I have no control if our team wins or not. It's all done by the Coaching, the players he recruits and how he coaches them. So this **** statement that how I thinkeffects what goes on the field or not is just that, a **** statement. However history or not MSU should be able to make the SEC tourney more then once every four years. I hate to say it but Polks last four teams on average are looking better then Cohen first four years.Now maybe he can turn it around an I hope so but the way it looks now, the only reason he might make the SEC tourney is the fact they are allowing 10 teams. Same rules as last year and he might not. </p>

Johnson85

Nov 22, 2009

Unless he gets incredibly lucky by having several top tier recruits with a tie to MSU or is a phenomenal coach, it's going to be at least year three before he has a solid roster to work with. If he doesn't pull it together the first reasonable opportunity he has to be be good, he's going to have people calling for his head. Of course judging by our history, we'll be more patient with him than probably any other school, and we'll still have fans that think if there's no progress after year five, he simply needs a little more time, so I don't think he'll be complaining about how he gets treated by our fans overall.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login