Question for PGA fans......

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
BAMA sophomore golfer won a PGA regular tour event yesterday. Does he get to keep the money or does he just get the trophy. This hasn't happened in 33 years and wondered if the rules have changed to where he could keep playing at BAMA and keep the money too? With the NIL stuff going on, he could say his Name, Image, and Likeness was used by the PGA Tour during those 4 days and the prize money would suffice for paying him off.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
No since he is an amateur by rule he doesn’t get any prize money even if he decided to turn pro right then. He started the tournament as an amateur

Also the prize money moves down a spot as a result of him winning so the second place person gets first place money.

The guy is in some rare company. First amateur since Phil Mickelson to win a PGA tour event and he also won the US Amateur and the Junior Amateur. Tiger was the last to do that.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
He doesn't get to take the money and remain an amateur. Has nothing to do with NIL

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
No since he is an amateur by rule he doesn’t get any prize money even if he decided to turn pro right then. He started the tournament as an amateur

Also the prize money moves down a spot as a result of him winning so the second place person gets first place money.

The guy is in some rare company. First amateur since Phil Mickelson to win a PGA tour event and he also won the US Amateur and the Junior Amateur. Tiger was the last to do that.
Does he still get the other benefits of winning a PGA tournament, such as being as earning PGA membership for life, etc that tour winners get? Or does he get nothing since he is an amateur?

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Does he still get the other benefits of winning a PGA tournament, such as being as earning PGA membership for life, etc that tour winners get? Or does he get nothing since he is an amateur?
He gets the 2 year exemption for his tour card with the win. No FedEx points though. He’s already exempt into the masters, us open and British from winning the Am. But this win would get him into those 3 anyways (for sure masters and most likely the other 2 based on his ranking) if he decided to turn pro now. Really no reason to stay an Am unless he just likes college and wants to win a national championship.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
He gets the 2 year exemption for his tour card with the win. No FedEx points though. He’s already exempt into the masters, us open and British from winning the Am. But this win would get him into those 3 anyways (for sure masters and most likely the other 2 based on his ranking) if he decided to turn pro now. Really no reason to stay an Am unless he just likes college and wants to win a national championship.
Yeah I’d be turning pro right now but that’s just me.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If the right sponsor comes along he'll turn pro in a heartbeat.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
So could American Express (tournament sponsor) if they wanted to cut him a check under NIL instead or do amateur restrictions in sports like golf prevent those athletes from getting NIL and retaining amateur status?

Reactions: thatsbaseball

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
He should join LIV. **
Is that still a thing where you can only play on one? But didn’t they basically merge either the pga tour?

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
He would be foolish to stay at Bama. He is now Elinor to go to the seven remaining Signature events if he turns pro. He can refuse the money, and still go to the four majors, but as an Am he cannot collect any money. Turn pro, dude.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
LIV only wants to take big name golfers. I don't like them but mostly because I think the money came from Saudi Arabia to fund the attack on 9-11 and LIV is funded by Saudi Arabia. Screw them

Reactions: Dawg1976

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So could American Express (tournament sponsor) if they wanted to cut him a check under NIL instead or do amateur restrictions in sports like golf prevent those athletes from getting NIL and retaining amateur status?
I would assume he can take a sponsorship and maintain his NCAA eligibility. And I would assume he would no longer be eligible to play in any other amateur golf events. Until the last decade, even something random like winning a car in the hole in one competitions in random scrambles would result in golfers losing their amateur status for some period of time.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I would assume he can take a sponsorship and maintain his NCAA eligibility. And I would assume he would no longer be eligible to play in any other amateur golf events. Until the last decade, even something random like winning a car in the hole in one competitions in random scrambles would result in golfers losing their amateur status for some period of time.
Correct, that’s why I lay up on those hole-in-one challenges

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Looks like the NCAA championship is at the end of May, so he could stay for the rest of the season and still have 10 events to play in the PGA season (and would miss 18 or 19 more that he could play in). Not sure it's feasible to get into the Fedex cup with just those ten events, but I would assume that would be it unless he just went on a tear.

Not sure if I'd have the confident to stay in college rather than immediately taking advantage of the exemption, but he could play the rest of the NCAA season and still have the opportunity to make some money in the last third of the PGA season this year.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
He should join LIV. **
Is that still a thing where you can only play on one? But didn’t they basically merge either the pga tour?
They still haven't crossed all the T's and dotted the i's. It's a screwed up mess with the Saudis involved. I'm almost to the point of not following pro golf as I am with college football.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login