Question for the board that was in a group text the other day...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Do you think an employee of Mississippi State should wear their alma mater's gear to a game if State is playing them?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If they are on the clock or there in an official capacity then they should represent their employer. If they are simply there as a normal spectator then they should be able to wear whatever they want. Wearing an opposing teams colors opens you up to ridicule from coworkers and home fans.

Ray Caldwell

Nov 24, 2021
If they want to be fired, sure. And the same should go for everyday work. Few things piss me off more than seeing an MSU employee on the job with an OM shirt on.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
The correct answer is: “If the Alma Mater is Mississippi, then 17 no.”

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Keep in mind-The flip side to this is MSU alum who live in another SEC town.
I’m not an employee of UA, but I wear MSU gear to projects and scopes on campus knowing damn well it will cause a stir.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Do you think an employee of Mississippi State should wear their alma mater's gear to a game if State is playing them?

I worked for another SEC institution as an MSU alum. I never wore MSU gear out of respect for my employer, and I tempered my cheering when attending games. I told the "I can't lose" joke several times as MSU was beating the **** out of Vanderbilt in basketball one time.

Then there was the Shan Foster game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exception. If they're in discounted faculty seats, don't wear the opponent's colors. Otherwise, wear what you want.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm laughing because I know a couple MSU alums who work at Ole Miss who have been known to wear State gear there.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Not if they are on the clock, or if they work in athletics. Other than that I don’t really see a problem with it.

If I worked as a research professor at Louisville and they played MSU I’m wearing my gear to game. If I’m an assistant basketball coach and recruiter at Oklahoma State and they played MSU it would not be a good look at all for me to wear State stuff.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
If they are on the clock or there in an official capacity then they should represent their employer. If they are simply there as a normal spectator then they should be able to wear whatever they want.

I think this is the right answer with a few exceptions, like working athletics, high level admin, etc.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If you wear your alma mater's gear in that situation, that seems a little "classless" to me. If you mandate that one can't wear their alma mater's gear that seems classless to me too. Just let it ride....

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's OK if:

1) They are not in the athletic department AND
2) They are not working in any official capacity during the game AND
3) They are not a part of university leadership

i.e. professors and worker bees knock yourself out in your La Tech gear; department heads and above, no go

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I not only wore Mississippi St gear to games when we played Kentucky I wore a MSU polio to teach on the Friday before football games or basketball games. I had dual appoint at a UK facility at the time. It’s in good fun, I had some fun exchanges with students. I would give an extra credit point on a quiz for guessing the score of the game. I got awesome answers, even from players.

When I was at MTSU and they played in Starkville, our department chair wore MSU gear to the game. Thought nothing of it.

There has to be a level of common sense though. If I was actually out representing the University externally, then I would not have another university’s gear on. And in the stadium, I would be absolutely respectful to the UK folks (I would normally be with UK folks) and not obnoxious I’m their section.

It’s about common sense. Most in academia didn’t actually attend the school we taught at. So most loved other schools first. Just have common sense, don’t be obnoxious, and lightened up about things that really don’t matter.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It’s clothes….and it’s America. People should have the freedom to wear whatever the 17 they want at the expense of their own ridicule whenever they are not on the clock of their employer (who may still not care in some instances) and provided there is no indecent exposure or hate speech or whatever in play. College sports aren’t that serious.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This is the correct answer.

It's OK if:

1) They are not in the athletic department AND
2) They are not working in any official capacity during the game AND
3) They are not a part of university leadership

i.e. professors and worker bees knock yourself out in your La Tech gear; department heads and above, no go

Common sense goes a long way...

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I have actually seen Scott Stricklin in Starkville before wearing a Mississippi State polo since being the AD of Florida. I thought it was strange

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If they are on the clock or there in an official capacity then they should represent their employer. If they are simply there as a normal spectator then they should be able to wear whatever they want. Wearing an opposing teams colors opens you up to ridicule from coworkers and home fans.

This is where I fall. I don't think at matters and at worst I would take it as light-hearted ribbing if maybe a professor was at a game wearing their alma-mater's shirt.

That being said, I also think it should be a little more stringent for somebody in the Athletic Department than a professor or somebody that works at the union or Jan at the registrar's office. I think it would hit a little different if, say, Samantha Ricketts was wearing OU gear to State's first football against OU or if Leach wore a BYU shirt to a State-BYU basketball game.

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
My cousin and his wife are both MSU grads. He recently retired after working in research at LSU for 40+ years. I tease them when State and LSU play about who are you rooting for. His wife told me that when it comes to alma mater vs paycheck, paycheck wins every time!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'd just be happy when a professor was interested in sports. Probably half of mine didn't even seem to know when we had a game.

"oh, there's a football contest this weekend?"

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
McMahon was famous for wearing an Auburn track suit to class on the Friday before the Auburn game.

He was a great professor. Screw Auburn.

Aug 22, 2012

Force them to wear a hideous half and half jersey. Failure to comply is a fireable offense.***

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
If the employee is attending the game as part of their professional duties (i.e. they are a S.I.D. for the basketball team) then no, they should represent their employer.

If they are a Bulldog Club financial analyst or a professor in the English department, then I don't think it matters.

I attend games and support the local high school, but when my alma mater rolls into town to play them, I usually sit in the visitors section. It'll be like that until my kids are playing.

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
When I worked for Joe Dean at LSU I had the inner office across the hall him. I had my Alma Mater shingle up and he would always tell me how he loved Mississippi State. Not just because his son played there. Would wear State stuff when we played bball in the PMAC every day at lunch….

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login