Question for the electrical engineers here....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
How do you cause thousands of pagers to blow up simultaneously? Please keep politics out of this one. At least let the question be answered before you post something that will get it locked.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
How do you cause thousands of pagers to blow up simultaneously? Please keep politics out of this one. At least let the question be answered before you post something that will get it locked.
You’d have to send some sort of signal that would cause it to heat up and explode.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You’d have to send some sort of signal that would cause it to heat up and explode.
Of course. But once the signal is there, how does it happen? Malware? Were they tampered with during manufacture? If that were a thing with all of them I suspect you see more of them blowing up at random.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Of course. But once the signal is there, how does it happen? Malware? Were they tampered with during manufacture. If that were a thing with all of them I suspect you see more of them blowing up at random.
I assume they provided the pagers to begin with and you can’t give normal pagers instructions that would cause them to rapidly heat up and explode.

same logic as you. If that were possible, you’d have heard about them exploding randomly before now when left in cars or bumped or when they locked up or whatever.

Reactions: Chesusdog

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I suspect they infuriated the the manufacturing process and installed a small explosive.

Here's a video of one exploding. Seems like much more than just a battery:

Reactions: ChE1997

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Of course. But once the signal is there, how does it happen? Malware? Were they tampered with during manufacture. If that were a thing with all of them I suspect you see more of them blowing up at random.
They’ve either been tampered with or they found a way to make them do that with what’s there already.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Article I read this morning said the pagers had been inflicted with malware during/after the manufacturing. I bet every one of the "Hezbollah Warriors" jumps out of their chair now when they hear a phone ring or something beep..........

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Article I read this morning said the pagers had been inflicted with malware during/after the manufacturing. I bet every one of the "Hezbollah Warriors" jumps out of their chair now when they hear a phone ring or something beep..........
I would think they would have to have been tampered with in some way. I doubt you could do this to a standard pager.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty skeptical of that. I'm guessing they are trying to distract from the real process at this point and probably protect some of their human assets, at least long enough to get them somewhere safe.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I am reminded of the story a few years back where the King of Jordan was bragging about their country's radar system and how state-of-the-art it was in a saber-rattling incident with Israel. That very next weekend he went on vacation in a supposedly secret location and Israel sent two warplanes in to buzz the house he was staying in just to show him how awesome his radar system was.

It's probably not in anyone's best interest to 17 with Israel.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
WSJ article says they were using them to prevent the Israelis from using them to detect their positions. I don't think they ping like cell phones do. They are receive only.

I wonder if Mossad came up with this plan after they moved to pagers, or if they had inside people pushing them to move to pagers, knowing they could do this.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Israeli counterterrorism is the best in the world. I would guess they infiltrated a supplier and installed an explosive charge of Semtex in either single, targeted pagers, or blanketed with many, and then traced movements and/or communications to decide which pagers should should be detonated.

This isn’t just making a battery catch fire. No way they go through this level of infiltration without wanting to cash in on some bodies.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Israeli counterterrorism is the best in the world. I would guess they infiltrated a supplier and installed an explosive charge of Semtex in either single, targeted pagers, or blanketed with many, and then traced movements and/or communications to decide which pagers should should be detonated.

This isn’t just making a battery catch fire. No way they go through this level of infiltration without wanting to cash in on some bodies.
Fairly easy to identify Hezbollah terrorists now. He’s the guy missing a hand or an ear or an eye (or both) or wearing a colostomy or missing his penis.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Fairly easy to identify Hezbollah terrorists now. He’s the guy missing a hand or an ear or an eye (or both) or wearing a colostomy or missing his penis.
I was looking on Twitter and came across a video of one guy bloodied up in the face and a guy laying next to him in another hospital bed missing three fingers.

Also find it funny that people on Twitter are having to explain what a pager is to the zoomers.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
These pagers were manufactured for this purpose. Can't wait to read how and where it was done.

From a good source in the region, I understand these pagers are used throughout Syria, Lebanon, Iran, and Iraq.

Think about where our electronics are manufactured and be ready for an adversarial Chinese government to attempt a similar stunt on us and or allies at some point.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

The article I saw said the malware made the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries heat to the point of exploding

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
As impactful as this has been just in the sheer number of injuries, just imagine the psychological impact. Those guys don't feel safe anywhere at this point.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
As impactful as this has been just in the sheer number of injuries, just imagine the psychological impact. Those guys don't feel safe anywhere at this point.
They'll have to go to using carrier pigeons. "Muhammad, here is your new communication device. No thanks, I'm good...."

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Seeing a rumor supposedly from Lebanese security: the pagers had up to 20 grams of explosives and were imported into Lebanon 5 months ago.
Also, 4400 injured and 9 dead.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Seeing a rumor supposedly from Lebanese security: the pagers had up to 20 grams of explosives and were imported into Lebanon 5 months ago.
Same rumor says it was PETN (I have never heard of it) placed on the battery that was detonated by raising the temp of the battery.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
updated hezbollah communications system.

fail dan james GIF by Much

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I wouldn't trust any numbers for a little while on this. We're going to be hearing thousands were injured and maimed, with 99% of them being women and children.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Most microprocessors can be literally worked to death if you can get into the micro code. That being said, most processors have a thermal protection diode that will shut them off before they physically self-destruct. I have no idea what happened in this situation. I've only seen a headline and this post.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The fact that we already have an injury figure -- which likely did not come from hospital reports - not that many anyway in that short a time - says quite a bit about who really knows what's going on.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I was looking on Twitter and came across a video of one guy bloodied up in the face and a guy laying next to him in another hospital bed missing three fingers.

Also find it funny that people on Twitter are having to explain what a pager is to the zoomers.