Question for the Hunters of SPS

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Have any of you heard of or used an Ozonics machine? Link

1698250156471.png

Regular customers of mine were swearing by it, and I am looking for a Christmas gift for my father. I can't decide if this is exceptional technology or just some hogwash "ions" BS akin to copper knee braces, etc.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I have. I have a friend who swears by it. I'm torn.

I think it can help in ground blinds. I don't think there is a chance in hell it works in a tree stand. They have that screw in mount system for a tree, but again, no way it does enough to cover your scent in that situation.

The ozone does put off a weird smell. They say it smells like lightning. No 17ing clue what that means, but to me, it smells like a small electrical motor about to go bad. There's a slightly burned plasticy smell to it. My understanding is it can be toxic at a certain level. It does give me a headache if I run it in a blind on high.

It also makes a little white noise too. I found that to be the most annoying part. It will put me to sleep in a dark blind.

In summation, if you hunt a lot from ground blinds and are the type that is very scent-conscious and only open 2 windows in your blind, it could work for you.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have. I have a friend who swears by it. I'm torn.

I think it can help in ground blinds. I don't think there is a chance in hell it works in a tree stand. They have that screw in mount system for a tree, but again, no way it does enough to cover your scent in that situation.

The ozone does put off a weird smell. They say it smells like lightning. No 17ing clue what that means, but to me, it smells like a small electrical motor about to go bad. There's a slightly burned plasticy smell to it. My understanding is it can be toxic at a certain level. It does give me a headache if I run it in a blind on high.

It also makes a little white noise too. I found that to be the most annoying part. It will put me to sleep in a dark blind.

In summation, if you hunt a lot from ground blinds and are the type that is very scent-conscious and only open 2 windows in your blind, it could work for you.
It smells like lightning because lightning produces ozone. That’s the smell in the air during a thunderstorm.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Doesn't work unless you're in a blind with all the windows closed, with only 1 open.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I think they do a good job de-scenting clothing if you put it into an air-tight bag or box with one of these and let it process. I can see how it would work well in many ground blind settings.

Trying to use one in the open from a lock-on stand always seemed too unscientific to me. There are so many variables in play. It's one of those thing that, if you think it works, you can talk yourself into believing it works.

Side note: Ozone may irritate your lungs and may increase cancer risk to some degree. It's possible these things don't create enough ozone to be harmful - I don't know. I'm not mad enough at deer to fool with this kind of equipment, but more power to you if you do.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Never used one, but like most things hunting, I believe it's mostly marketing. Many tests have been done on the noses of dogs, deer, etc. If the wind is at your back, they're going to smell you not matter what. If the wind is in your face, they won't smell you. This may have limited impact in situations of no breeze. I wouldn't waste money on it. Cover scents, etc., have been proven not t work.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I knew a guy growing up that SWORE by a certain scent, said deer couldn't detect human scent if you had it on and they loved the scent of it. You could buy it in any drug store, grocery or department store, etc. , it was and still is cheap. Don't know if there's been any studies done on it or not but his sure fire human scent mask was none other than Brut Men's Cologne, yeah that stuff old men wore and thought it made them smell young. He would splash it all over himself and go into the woods and say deer couldn't smell the human scent over it nor did they associate the scent of the cologne with humans. He said he could see deer approaching with their noses up in the air sniffing it trying to figure out what it was.

• Haha
Reactions: trob115

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I never got into the whole scent masking thing. I've known people to wash their clothes in the unscented detergent and wear the no scent deodorant. Spray scent mask all over themselves and whatever else they could think to do...and then go get in their truck that smells like stale farts and McDonalds and drive to their hunting area. It is like someone else said, it is all about wind direction. It is impossible to mask your scent to a degree wildlife can't notice it.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I am familiar with this but I guess I am kind of old school with my hunting. If the wind is wrong I just hunt a different stand. Lot of the high tech stuff kind of turns me off. To each his own but it just is not my thing. I do sissy deer hunting a lot these days like most other folks. Get in a box blind overlooking a green field and sit in an old office chair. Nothing wrong with it and I still enjoy it almost every afternoon from November till the end of January. I killed a lot more good deer growing up by just taking a small cushion and slipping down the bottom till I reached my spot and just sitting on the ground leaning back on a big ole oak of some sort. You get to enjoy all of the various wildlife more that way. Age caught up with me and I mostly do it the easy way now but I sure do miss those days. To each his own. I enjoy these hunting threads a lot.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
If you get high enough in the air, 25’+, they might smell you but have a hard time pinpointing you.

And the best cover scent in the world is to rub that strong *** tarsal gland all over your pants. Stinks like hell, you’ll never kill more deer.

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
I own one and it’s crazy how nice it works. I was hunting in delta National and the wind changed on me and had 30 hogs walk under my stand from down wind. I’ve taken it out Midwest and it works nicely. You do have to get them recharged every 4-5 years.

3dawgnight

Aug 27, 2012
You cannot fully fool a deers nose. Be careful with ozone, it will destroy rubber and elastic if exposed for a longer period of time.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Having an ozone generator in a confined space is beyond dangerous. Ozone will mask and destroy odors but it will also suffocate you. Outside of a contained environment it’s not controlling your odor.

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
The best hunter I’ve ever known is my brother in law who is unfortunately no longer with us. He smoked all the way to hunting location and while hunting high in climbing stand. Stuffed cigarette butts in bark of pine tree and killed big bucks year after year, while seeing deer consistently. Simply put, he knew how to hunt.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
If you decide to dedicate yourself to worrying about scent then you’ll be amongst a bunch of people spending a bunch of time and money who have never found the bottom of that rabbit hole.

Wind is much easier and cheaper to worry about.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I use a different brand and it works. I have had deer downwind from me many times. Eventually they will still smell you but it does give you a chance.

I do still try to play the wind and use scent killing spray, sometimes they still come from the wrong direction, so every little bit helps.

Reactions: BIGDAWG44

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I use regular All no dyes or perfume detergent. No fabric softener as it destroys the waterproofing of hunting clothes.

I use cheap sure un scented deodorant

play the wind when bow hunting

Don’t worry about wind direction rifle hunting

I do just fine

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Never used one, but like most things hunting, I believe it's mostly marketing. Many tests have been done on the noses of dogs, deer, etc. If the wind is at your back, they're going to smell you not matter what. If the wind is in your face, they won't smell you. This may have limited impact in situations of no breeze. I wouldn't waste money on it. Cover scents, etc., have been proven not t work.
What if the wind is in your face and they are behind you?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login