Question for the Pack

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Does Ole Miss attract pricks or do they turn otherwise normal people into pricks? The Ben Garrett thread made me curious.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
It's a prick culture, so I think they cultivate prickiness. You may show up semi-normal and become colonized into the culture.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
The culture is an irresistible magnet for douchebags. It recruits itself nationwide. Look at the frats and you’ll see most are from out of state. They couldn’t get in their preferred choices so they end up there

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Generally they attract people who fit in just like most schools. What it takes to “fit in” there is just not something appealing to me. There are some very solid humans who run that gauntlet and come out as great people, but I kind of equate that to finding a stand out engineer from there. They were gonna be good no matter where they went.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
This. Especially metro Atlanta, where Ole Miss means I wasn't good enough to get into UGA. Wish I had a dollar for every Ole Miss tagged Range Rover here. Ugh.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
This. Especially metro Atlanta, where Ole Miss means I wasn't good enough to get into UGA. Wish I had a dollar for every Ole Miss tagged Range Rover here. Ugh.

Down here on the coast it's the same. Douchiest kids on St Simons who are bottom of the graduating class at Frederica Academy all take their Sea Island shirts and Masters hats to Oxford. Fit right in.

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
I've seen it so many times with people who've never been initiated into the rivalry, and I'm never once surprised by whom chooses which side.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Last year I got volunteered to help move a relatives daughter out of one of the OM ***** houses to an apartment, damn autocorrect, sorority house! One of her girlfriends was a rich Dallas Tx native. Well Dallas Barbie drove a new G Wagon. When she went back to Dallas for weekends or holidays she didn’t drive because it was too far. She would Uber to Memphis and fly. Before she left she would have a rollback come pick up the G Wagon and haul it to Dallas so it would be there when she got there and do the same on the return trip to Oxford.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
Daddy could afford all that, but he didn't have enough money to get her into the right sorority at SMU. Or maybe she just didn't have the grades to get in.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Last year I got volunteered to help move a relatives daughter out of one of the OM ***** houses to an apartment, damn autocorrect, sorority house! One of her girlfriends was a rich Dallas Tx native. Well Dallas Barbie drove a new G Wagon. When she went back to Dallas for weekends or holidays she didn’t drive because it was too far. She would Uber to Memphis and fly. Before she left she would have a rollback come pick up the G Wagon and haul it to Dallas so it would be there when she got there and do the same on the return trip to Oxford.

I may have run in to her and about 5 others of her ilk in the Memphis airport last June. Apparently, they could not get on their flight and she was crying & screaming at the top of her lungs. Got on the phone with daddy and it went like this: "Daddy, they wouldn't let me get on the 17ng plane!!" This went on seemingly forever.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I may have run in to her and about 5 others of her ilk in the Memphis airport last June. Apparently, they could not get on their flight and she was crying & screaming at the top of her lungs. Got on the phone with daddy and it went like this: "Daddy, they wouldn't let me get on the 17ng plane!!" This went on seemingly forever.

Daddy rented a 40 meter yacht in Miami last summer. He didn't want Barbie to get bored so she could bring 5 friends. My relative made the cut and spent two weeks cruising around south Florida with the family all expenses paid. Hell, I wanted to meet Barbies mom!

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Same thing with Dallas kids and SMU. When I first moved to the DFW area, I worked in Highland Park and when people would find out I was from Mississippi, they would tell me Ole Miss was their (or their kid's) safety school because they didn't think they would get in to SMU (and sometimes Texas).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It’s been mentioned before but Ole Miss - smartly, I might add - gets a lot of entitled doofuses who can’t get into Texas, Georgia, UNC, or UVA.

Their families are wealthy enough to pay for school and Ole Miss will gladly accept their money.

On a sidenote here, one thing about the way the economy is going is that I’m wondering what enrollment numbers will be like for universities. We already know it’ll be bad in a general sense (fewer college-aged students) but will that number drop any more than expected?

(I’m not saying that Ole Miss deliberately goes for entitled doofuses. It’s just a natural side-effect: you get students who are bored and underachieve in high school too.)

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Been living in Rankin County since 1992, grew up in Madison County and there is no worse Ole Miss Prick than a Rankin County Ole Miss Prick.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It’s been mentioned before but Ole Miss - smartly, I might add - gets a lot of entitled doofuses who can’t get into Texas, Georgia, UNC, or UVA.

Their families are wealthy enough to pay for school and Ole Miss will gladly accept their money.

On a sidenote here, one thing about the way the economy is going is that I’m wondering what enrollment numbers will be like for universities. We already know it’ll be bad in a general sense (fewer college-aged students) but will that number drop any more than expected?

(I’m not saying that Ole Miss deliberately goes for entitled doofuses. It’s just a natural side-effect: you get students who are bored and underachieve in high school too.)
Agree I don't see it as a bad strategy. Keep the money flowing, and it won't run out anytime soon when you're talking about the Dallas/Atlanta suburbs. They have an identity, even if it's one we make fun of.

I wish we had a similar out-of-state strategy, and maybe we do. Seems like we are heavily dependent on MS kids, which is a good thing. I know we have a ton of AR/TN/AL ones, mainly due to proximity/ag/etc. We talk about the arc of cities a good bit - Memphis, Huntsville, Birmingham, Jackson. Besides that I'm just not sure what direction we go - maybe the petroleum route (coastal TX and LA)? Seems others already have that sewed up. I also wish we had more representation in south Mississippi, but that is getting better.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

The drop was baked into the cake by demographics. Now COVID has made college a worse deal (since most are primarily paying for the experience, not the education). And prospective students are steadily hearing about how unmanageable student loan debt is and how their college degree isn't paying. I think it's going to be pretty significant.

Only thing moving the other way is that there is some population that held off on college because of covid. And then in general when the job market gets bad people tend to go to school or back to school. Not that the job market is bad yet, but certainly could be by the spring semester.

I don't think this is going to hurt state or ole miss though. I think the pain is primarily going to be felt at smaller private institutions that don't offer any value.

Jul 5, 2020
I'm not sure about State's numbers, but Ole Miss has a very high incoming freshman class of around 4,300. I think State is likely similar.

Arloguthrie

Nov 3, 2012
Related question - Why are more Jackson-area kids choosing Ole Miss over MSU? Are they already bad eggs? Or maybe they just don't realize they're about to be transformed into insufferable pricks?

I'm referring to the fact that Ole Miss is now the top choice for graduates from Madison Central, Jackson Academy, Jackson Prep, St. Andrew's, and St. Joe, with MSU holding a narrow lead for MRA and Germantown. Why isn't anyone warning these kids that they're foregoing the opportunity to become good, honest, humble, salt-of-the-earth Grinders? Seems irresponsible.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Related question - Why are more Jackson-area kids choosing Ole Miss over MSU? Are they already bad eggs? Or maybe they just don't realize they're about to be transformed into insufferable pricks?

I'm referring to the fact that Ole Miss is now the top choice for graduates from Madison Central, Jackson Academy, Jackson Prep, St. Andrew's, and St. Joe, with MSU holding a narrow lead for MRA and Germantown. Why isn't anyone warning these kids that they're foregoing the opportunity to become good, honest, humble, salt-of-the-earth Grinders? Seems irresponsible.

I don't believe you until you take the article from the Northside Sun, scan it, and post it here. Thanks.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't believe you until you take the article from the Northside Sun, scan it, and post it here. Thanks.

Well, unless something has changed, All of those schools do have a strong douchebag contingent that probably gives them an insurmountable lead. The exceptions being St. Joe (possible exception at least; not very familiar with people there) and Madison Central (which is probably pushed more towards Ole Miss to continue the easy access to drugs more than douchebaggery).

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Jack-town has always been Ole Miss bruh. And now the last wave of JA holdouts are headed north, so Madison/Ridgeland is now too.

I was always told Rankin County is where the MSU folks were. Well my experience is the opposite. More, but still ton of etolonel colonel loyalty. Probably because all the South Jackson Hillcresters and McDowell low-riders have come out this way.

MSU doesn't have a 'town' or city, in my experience. Ole Miss has Memphis AND Jackson. Hell they got half of Tupelo too. We can't even have Columbus or Meridian. Point City and Louisvuhl best we can do.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
June 9 edition.

By the way, Ole Miss has the narrow lead for Madison Central -- just two ahead of MSU.

Community colleges are attracting more folks than either State or Ole Miss.

I'm a little surprised Northwest Rankin or Hartfield weren't mentioned at all. I guess Flowood isn't covered.

That formatting of the article leaves a lot to be desired. It should have been broken down to smaller articles.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
June 9 edition.

By the way, Ole Miss has the narrow lead for Madison Central -- just two ahead of MSU.

Community colleges are attracting more folks than either State or Ole Miss.

I'm a little surprised Northwest Rankin or Hartfield weren't mentioned at all. I guess Flowood isn't covered.

That formatting of the article leaves a lot to be desired. It should have been broken down to smaller articles.
They just talking about Nawf Side. They not worried about the rednecks over here cross the water.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
When I came to state in the middle 70’s there was only Jackson schools. Madison and Ridgeland were still Madison-Ridgeland high school. Brandon was still small. Clinton was somewhat small. There was the Jackson Public schools, Jackson Prep was all the FNEJ kids that had fled the public schools because of integration, Council schools were small.

Jackson Public school kids IMO mostly went to State. I would estimate 90% of kids from Prep went Ole Miss. The rest I didn’t know about. And a vast majority of FNEJ/Prep kids that went to Ole Miss were either prics or legacies. Back then Ole Miss were lawyers, political or doctors. And all the uppity women went to Ole Miss so they could snag themselves a future doctor or lawyer. MSU was still heavy agricultural and not many women back then wanted to go to college to snag them a dirt farmer and live in a small town or near a small town in Ms.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's honestly cyclical. My wife is a teacher. Each class has its own personality. Odd to think about graduating classes as an organism but they kinda are. Every few years a group decides they don't want to go where "everybody" from their high school already is and they do something really bold like go to the other school.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I grew up with a girl who as down to earth as they come turn into a real *** ho thought here **** didn't think. She said MSU folks were redneck hicks which is funny because she was a hick before she went to Mississippi.

My niece went there and she was nice before she left and is even nicer now.

I think they just specialize in finding the inner ******* of every student.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Show us where the national championship trophy hurt you, little guy.

*Getting my last shots in, in case the unmentionable worst-case scenario happens

patdog

May 28, 2007
A lot of it is cyclical. But don't underestimate the football effect. They're miles ahead of us in football the last couple of years and have a lot more excitement about their football program. That attracts new students.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have plenty of Ole Miss family, friends and neighbors, no issues with any of them, they are all like MSU fans, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Is one is a prick to you, be a bigger prick back. Be condescending, "that's so cute you guys finally got to Omaha," "you have a nice little program over there, hopefully Bianco will be there a long time," etc., etc.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
More evidence of the havoc the pandemic has wreaked on the mental health of this generation. Just awful.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login