Question for the weather men

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
Ive gathered that there are a few meteorologists here and wondering - is there a way to look back and retrace the path of a weather system that spawned a storm? Specifically, I’d like to know if I can retrace the storm system that created the tornado that hit Silver City, Rolling Fork, etc.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Ive gathered that there are a few meteorologists here and wondering - is there a way to look back and retrace the path of a weather system that spawned a storm? Specifically, I’d like to know if I can retrace the storm system that created the tornado that hit Silver City, Rolling Fork, etc.
I know in radar scope you can go back but it’s a premium feature.

I believe theres somewhere that has historical radar going back a couple of decades.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
IMG_9527.png

Reactions: Msdeltareb

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I think its genesis was around Lake Providence. It developed and turned strong very quickly.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
What shows you that the storm has damaging potential?
When it was at Lake Providence I could tell the storm was showing supercellular characteristics and the very beginning of a hook echo, so I thought it had a good chance of going tornadic. Once it went tornadic it just had a bad look to it. It developed a doughnut I hope on reflectivity and the velocity signature was showing very strong values. However, the biggest tell tell sign was how high it was lofting debris. Radar was showing debris being lofted to over 20,000ft (I think at its height it was approaching 30,000ft). Only the strongest of tornadoes can do that so when you see it you know it's a violent tornado.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Sorry. I was here to contribute but thought the thread was for a question for the wealthier men. I don’t listen or pay attention to the weather. I have people that do that for me.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
When it was at Lake Providence I could tell the storm was showing supercellular characteristics and the very beginning of a hook echo, so I thought it had a good chance of going tornadic. Once it went tornadic it just had a bad look to it. It developed a doughnut I hope on reflectivity and the velocity signature was showing very strong values. However, the biggest tell tell sign was how high it was lofting debris. Radar was showing debris being lofted to over 20,000ft (I think at its height it was approaching 30,000ft). Only the strongest of tornadoes can do that so when you see it you know it's a violent tornado.
Not to mention it was a supercell firing up and entering into a primed atmosphere with no failure modes in place to impede it.

The dynamics in the atmosphere that evening were about as scary as it gets.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Not to mention it was a supercell firing up and entering into a primed atmosphere with no failure modes in place to impede it.

The dynamics in the atmosphere that evening were about as scary as it gets.
Yeah, we're very blessed that was the only cyclic supercell we got that night of that magnitude. Could have very easily had several just like that one. I'm honestly surprised we didn't. I remember going into that evening I was very worried.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
What shows you that the storm has damaging potential?
There are so many armchair meteorologists around that it's easier to find images from storms like these because we've captured and put them on the Internet. There are a lot of great videos from that night as well if you'll take the time to look for them. They will be talking about that storm for a while, not only because of the damage you did in River Fork and Silver City but also because of its long life. I had followed it all night, mainly when it recycled in Winona and then again in Amory and damaged my hometown(s) of Smithville & Amory. They were very lucky that they never really got on the ground. If it had plowed through on ground level as I did in Rolling Fork, there would've been another significant disaster. It was bad enough as it was. I found another video from the Amory tornado that shows damage from the ground level instead of drone footage.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
There are so many armchair meteorologists around that it's easier to find images from storms like these because we've captured and put them on the Internet. There are a lot of great videos from that night as well if you'll take the time to look for them. They will be talking about that storm for a while, not only because of the damage you did in River Fork and Silver City but also because of its long life. I had followed it all night, mainly when it recycled in Winona and then again in Amory and damaged my hometown(s) of Smithville & Amory. They were very lucky that they never really got on the ground. If it had plowed through on ground level as I did in Rolling Fork, there would've been another significant disaster. It was bad enough as it was. I found another video from the Amory tornado that shows damage from the ground level instead of drone footage.

A pic or in this case a video really doesn't do it justice. Until you personally see it in every direction you really don't understand the gravity of it. I too am a Monroe Countian and north Amory won't look the same during my lifetime.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
A pic or in this case a video really doesn't do it justice. Until you personally see it in every direction you really don't understand the gravity of it. I too am a Monroe Countian and north Amory won't look the same during my lifetime.
This is a true statement. The mind doesn't want to register this much carnage can be done in just a matter of seconds. Lives changed or ended in an instant.

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login