Question on how good a coach Leach is?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have generally been a Leach fan. I view him as pretty similar to Mullen. He has his limitations, but he's a good coach and even if there is the possibility of a better coach being out there for us, you don't fire or chase off a good coach for the 10%? (or 15?% or 5%?) chance of getting better, a decent chance of getting a roughly equivalent coach, and a much better chance of making a bad hire.

Like Leach, even though Mullen was supposed to be an offensive minded coach, we mainly relied upon defense. I viewed having a good defense a sign of him being a good coach and running a good program. The only years the offense was better than the defense when Mullen was hear was probably 2012 (bad promotion with Chris Wilson) and 2016 (Sirmon; woof), and then arguably Dak's two years, when I think the defense was similar in 2014.

What is making me lose the most faith in Leach is how ****** our special teams are. I get our offense being out talented by defenses. I think he's put together a pretty good OL without alot of highly recruited players, and I guess (hope?) he'll continue to improve there even without highly rated recruits. I get that maybe Will just gets timid about pushing the ball down field (or maybe our receivers are just too weak to get open) and so can somewhat tolerate the constant dumps to the RB on third and long; maybe that will get better with a different QB or better WRs. But I don't understand how we are so 17ing bad on special teams. Muffing key punts, missing field goals and extra points (although we finallyl had somebody show some balls Saturday night), and ****** punting. We don't look like a well coached program there, and it's two years in a row now.

That combined with our lack of DL recruiting has me more concerned than anything. Again, I still don't think you fire Leach. But I'm a lot less confident that he's going to be at least on Mullen's level (sans 2014) than I was before. I think we are just at the fingers crossed stage right now and try to divert as much money as possible to NIL efforts rather than buyouts.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Special teams have a special teams coach. thats Not where I make my judgements at this level.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I’m not really disagreeing but I want to point out Special Teams won that Auburn game.

This is kinda simplistic. A couple of special teams plays were key in the Win, but a couple of special teams plays (punts) would have been key if we had lost, which we were very close to doing.

Reactions: Mack Rebennack

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
What bothers me is that special teams have been bad here since Sherrill left. Mullen never could find a kicker (he wouldn't suck up to the kicking gurus out there), and Moorhead's special teams were just as awful as Leach's. Yes, there have been blocked kicks, returns for TDs, and clutch FGs, but 13 yard punts and muffed punts are unacceptable.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I have generally been a Leach fan. I view him as pretty similar to Mullen. He has his limitations, but he's a good coach and even if there is the possibility of a better coach being out there for us, you don't fire or chase off a good coach for the 10%? (or 15?% or 5%?) chance of getting better, a decent chance of getting a roughly equivalent coach, and a much better chance of making a bad hire.

Like Leach, even though Mullen was supposed to be an offensive minded coach, we mainly relied upon defense. I viewed having a good defense a sign of him being a good coach and running a good program. The only years the offense was better than the defense when Mullen was hear was probably 2012 (bad promotion with Chris Wilson) and 2016 (Sirmon; woof), and then arguably Dak's two years, when I think the defense was similar in 2014.

What is making me lose the most faith in Leach is how ****** our special teams are. I get our offense being out talented by defenses. I think he's put together a pretty good OL without alot of highly recruited players, and I guess (hope?) he'll continue to improve there even without highly rated recruits. I get that maybe Will just gets timid about pushing the ball down field (or maybe our receivers are just too weak to get open) and so can somewhat tolerate the constant dumps to the RB on third and long; maybe that will get better with a different QB or better WRs. But I don't understand how we are so 17ing bad on special teams. Muffing key punts, missing field goals and extra points (although we finallyl had somebody show some balls Saturday night), and ****** punting. We don't look like a well coached program there, and it's two years in a row now.

That combined with our lack of DL recruiting has me more concerned than anything. Again, I still don't think you fire Leach. But I'm a lot less confident that he's going to be at least on Mullen's level (sans 2014) than I was before. I think we are just at the fingers crossed stage right now and try to divert as much money as possible to NIL efforts rather than buyouts.

I don't get deep in the weeds of analyzing coaches because I know I'm I'll equipped to judge them on things I know little about. I also don't get overly judgemental on single bad looking games (Auburn), while conveniently ignoring really nice wins over more or equally talented teams (A&M (twice), Arkansas, Kentucky (last year), LSU (first year)).

If you look at results, he's had one bad loss in 3 seasons. That was Memphis and we all know an egregious officiating decision may well have cost us that game. All the other losses were to Top 40ish at worst and multiple Top 10ish teams.

I'm perfectly fine with the job he's doing for now. I hope he can recruit well enough to continue improving, but he's far from the disaster some here seem to believe (and enjoy being very opinionated about).

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

My take is that coaching tenure in places like MSU helps build a program. You don't have to look far to see the chaos of coaching revolving doors on programs that knee-jerk. That being said, when it is time, it is time (e.g. Croom, Moorehead). For Mike Leach it is not time and here is why:

2020 (terrible year to start off at a program): .364 (4-7) - season was just weird, nothing to really take away except it was better than I expected given new coach, COVID, coming in on the heals of the Moorhead disaster and what the locker room looked like from a personnel and morale perspective.

2021 (first year of "normal" season): .538 (7-6) - marked improvement, beginning to see the potential

2022 (year 2/3ish): .667 (6-3) - more improvement; really seeing the offense click and then frustratingly disappear for quarters at a time. 2 losses to top 10 teams on the road. Bama did the same (NO I'm not saying we are equal to Bama, the playing field told that story)

We are seeing improvement year over year. If we are being rational, we keep him. If he can't cut it, it will show up, but he has been pretty successful everywhere else he has been and there is no reason to believe that he can't build it here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't get deep in the weeds of analyzing coaches because I know I'm I'll equipped to judge them on things I know little about. I also don't get overly judgemental on single bad looking games (Auburn), while conveniently ignoring really nice wins over more or equally talented teams (A&M (twice), Arkansas, Kentucky (last year), LSU (first year)).

If you look at results, he's had one bad loss in 3 seasons. That was Memphis and we all know an egregious officiating decision may well have cost us that game. All the other losses were to Top 40ish at worst and multiple Top 10ish teams.

I'm perfectly fine with the job he's doing for now. I hope he can recruit well enough to continue improving, but he's far from the disaster some here seem to believe (and enjoy being very opinionated about).

His win loss results aren't really what has people concerned I don't think. Certainly everybody would have loved to win more, but ignoring 2020, if you just look at the teams we've beat and lost to, it's a pretty solid record. But I think the offense looking like dog **** so often has people worried. Us being outmatched talent wise and just shut down by one or two teams a season is just unfortunately not something we can get too upset about. But it is extremely concerning to me that in year 3, we look like dog **** against UK, Auburn, LSU, and Bama. I mean, we are going to play four or five good defenses most years. If any decent DL can shut down his system, he's got to change it up some.

We have been very fortunate this year to catch teams at the right time. Caught LSU at the right time and didn't take advantage. Got Arkansas at the right time with their QB being hurt. No real wrong time to catch A&M this year I don't guess. Caught Auburn at a great time; if they hadn't been complete dog **** on offense too, we lose this game badly. At some point, we need to show some consistent ability to move the ball against teams that have good but not elite defenses.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I haven't paid close enough attention - but why do we use two punters? Is there a distinct difference in their styles? One better at hangtime and short / inside the 20 punts? We used Trafford on our first punt downed inside the 5 I think - then switched to the other guy - then switched back to Trafford and he shanked one. Then back to Georgo.

Is there some strategy behind it, or are we just flipping a coin? I think Trafford has normally been pretty good other than the occasional shank (but you get that with almost any college punter). He was our punter last year, right?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
His win loss results aren't really what has people concerned I don't think. Certainly everybody would have loved to win more, but ignoring 2020, if you just look at the teams we've beat and lost to, it's a pretty solid record. But I think the offense looking like dog **** so often has people worried. Us being outmatched talent wise and just shut down by one or two teams a season is just unfortunately not something we can get too upset about. But it is extremely concerning to me that in year 3, we look like dog **** against UK, Auburn, LSU, and Bama. I mean, we are going to play four or five good defenses most years. If any decent DL can shut down his system, he's got to change it up some.

We have been very fortunate this year to catch teams at the right time. Caught LSU at the right time and didn't take advantage. Got Arkansas at the right time with their QB being hurt. No real wrong time to catch A&M this year I don't guess. Caught Auburn at a great time; if they hadn't been complete dog **** on offense too, we lose this game badly. At some point, we need to show some consistent ability to move the ball against teams that have good but not elite defenses.

I just can't help but feel you're overthinking it. Step back and focus on the results, because no team has a perfectly pretty path through a season. Everybody we play is trying really hard to beat us.

Yes, we looked like dogshit vs Auburn for long stretches. At the same time, we've put 82 points on them the last two games. I'll take that in perpetuity.

UK is a solid program under Stoops. It's simply not the UK of old (who we still struggled to beat most years). We looked terrible year one and it's been pretty equal the last two years. We handle each other at home. They clearly have similar defensive talent and apparently their QB is a future NFL starter. Losses on the road to teams like that happen.

I hate we didn't get it done at LSU, but that game was where an obviously good team started to turn their season around. Bad for us.

Bama is Bama. We've looked a little better year over year.

I'm just not as concerned as many here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If any decent DL can shut down his system, he's got to change it up some.
It's ALL recruiting. We simply have to get better players. Or different players.

That said, we are punching above our weight with the players we have. The coaching is there, as evidenced by all the dropped passes. The plays are there to be made.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I think the only things we can say with certainty at this point.

Leachs Air Raid isn't a talent neutralizer. Just like with any offense, we will need better talent to win more than we are now. We need true 4-5star talent at QB and WR to win at a higher level with this offense.

while Leach is know for his offense only. He is better at discipline and organizing the whole team. Sure he delegates the defensive and special teams duties but that is part of being a good CEO.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I just can't help but feel you're overthinking it. Step back and focus on the results, because no team has a perfectly pretty path through a season. Everybody we play is trying really hard to beat us.

Yes, we looked like dogshit vs Auburn for long stretches. At the same time, we've put 82 points on them the last two games. I'll take that in perpetuity.

UK is a solid program under Stoops. It's simply not the UK of old (who we still struggled to beat most years). We looked terrible year one and it's been pretty equal the last two years. We handle each other at home. They clearly have similar defensive talent and apparently their QB is a future NFL starter. Losses on the road to teams like that happen.

I hate we didn't get it done at LSU, but that game was where an obviously good team started to turn their season around. Bad for us.

Bama is Bama. We've looked a little better year over year.

I'm just not as concerned as many here.

We were held to 289 yds v LSU. LSU had over 400
225 yds v. UK. UK had over 400.
293 yds v. Bama. Granted Bama only had 290.
331 v. Auburn. Auburn, who is ******, had 370.

Every team has some bad games. But I'm not sure other teams have offenses that disappear as much as ours do. Granted, we do at least function against bad defenses whereas some teams don't even do that, and I get we are basically a ball control offense and aren't going to have gawdy total yards, but still concerning to see us disappear against anybody with highly rated DL talent other than A&M.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We were held to 289 yds v LSU. LSU had over 400
225 yds v. UK. UK had over 400.
293 yds v. Bama. Granted Bama only had 290.
331 v. Auburn. Auburn, who is ******, had 370.

Every team has some bad games. But I'm not sure other teams have offenses that disappear as much as ours do. Granted, we do at least function against bad defenses whereas some teams don't even do that, and I get we are basically a ball control offense and aren't going to have gawdy total yards, but still concerning to see us disappear against anybody with highly rated DL talent other than A&M.

I see I had no success pulling you from the stats weeds.

Unmoved by the 82 points vs Auburn last two games?? How many teams would take that output??

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Leachs Air Raid isn't a talent neutralizer. Just like with any offense, we will need better talent to win more than we are now. We need true 4-5star talent at QB and WR to win at a higher level with this offense.

while Leach is know for his offense only. He is better at discipline and organizing the whole team. Sure he delegates the defensive and special teams duties but that is part of being a good CEO.
Yes it is. But no offense can neutralize the difference in our talent against the top teams.

We don't need true 5 star talent. We just need a little better than we have now to get to 10-win territory.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
What bothers me is that special teams have been bad here since Sherrill left. Mullen never could find a kicker (he wouldn't suck up to the kicking gurus out there), and Moorhead's special teams were just as awful as Leach's. Yes, there have been blocked kicks, returns for TDs, and clutch FGs, but 13 yard punts and muffed punts are unacceptable.
We had some pretty solid punters under Mullen. Sobiesk was good in 14 kicking but that’s about it. We would have had a great kicker, but Mullen took him to Florida with him.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

He has beat A&M and Auburn twice and LSU once. I'm pretty sure all three consistently out recruit us. I would like to see his system with highly ranked recruits.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I see I had no success pulling you from the stats weeds.

Unmoved by the 82 points vs Auburn last two games?? How many teams would take that output??
Well, take out the OT points to be fair. So we scored 33 points on them. That is more than anybody else this year other than PSU @ Auburn (41), UGA at home (42), Ole Miss at home (48), Arkansas at home (41). We scored more on them than their G5 opponents, Missouri at Auburn (14), and LSU at Auburn (21). That probably looks a little worse when you consider that 7 of those points came off of a KO return, but presumably some of those other teams had defensive and special team touchdowns also.

Last year, We scored 43, which was the most any team scored on them, so that was really impressive (especially considering we started off slow). So over two years, our 38 point average regulation scoring is pretty good. Basically the same as UGA. Little behind Ole Miss. 6 pts per game ahead of Arkansas.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I think we have adequate talent. Could be better. Coaching is good. Leach has a good system, not the greatest system but good. Im a huge fan, but the offenses quitting for long spells is getting old. Yes....quitting. Leach has to find a way to keep them focused. If we had not given them the ball in the red zone 3 times the field goal kicker would not have had to save the game for us.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
He's a former A coach that 1) has not recruited to the level he needs to in his current conference and 2) hasn't adapted his offense over time.

1 is obvious.

2: I 100% accept keeping it simple and having your personnel master that. That said, how hard is it to incorporate some play action, build in a play or two that exploits a potential individual matchup advantage, and give a QB the option to make things happen with his legs (especially when the defense is dropping 8). Some of the limitations this year is Will simply not having the arm strength to stretch the field himself, but there are other simple things you can do to create that needed space.

He's now a B on his way to a C.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's ALL recruiting. We simply have to get better players. Or different players.

That said, we are punching above our weight with the players we have. The coaching is there, as evidenced by all the dropped passes. The plays are there to be made.
The question is can we outside of the occasional few chip guys? We've been mostly a development program. Find the guys like McKinney and dak. Develop them. Leach is supposed to be good at that like Mullen was.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The question is can we outside of the occasional few chip guys? We've been mostly a development program. Find the guys like McKinney and dak. Develop them. Leach is supposed to be good at that like Mullen was.
I think we're fine on defense. We'll get some studs from inside MS, and develop plenty of guys there, since MS produces those at a high clip. People are cutting up about DL but bottom line MS hasn't produced as many lately, but honestly our defense is very solid right now, despite not having great speed. Not worried at all there.

I totally agree on offense. But you also have to remember, for the most part these are Moorhead guys and then patchwork freshmen/sophomores and JUCOs/portal. But I don't know that it will get much better, MS simply doesn't produce QBs, WRs and OLs at a high enough clip. Mullen developed them because he ran a conducive offense. Leach is going to have to go outside the footprint, which he has to an extent. We won't see the fruits of this until a few more years, when Leach's guys are upperclassmen. You didn't really see Mullen's handpicked guys rise up until 2013 (year 5). So I look for our 'peak' around 2024/2025. We'll likely show flashes in 2024 and then the possible 10+ win season will be 2025. Geez that sucks to say that, but such is life as an MSU fan.

Or he could retire, we could blow it up, and start all over. New AD might want to do that, I suppose, but probably not. I personally prefer the stability, especially when you consider the potential payoffs down the road.

I just don't know what other direction would be better. Gus Malzahn or Willie Fritz maybe. Fritz is older than Leach though. I like the idea of Malzahn IF Leach decides to hang it up instead of sticking in it for the long haul. I think Malzahn's got one good run left in him. And don't look now but Rich Rod has Jacksonville State 7-2.

Or bring back Danny Boy. It's working for North Carolina.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Croom really started the redshirt improvement program understanding that we weren't going to get the number of 4 and 5 star players that other SEC programs get. Mullen continued it and we have seen some "diamonds in the rough" emerge to compete with the blue chip players. Remember that when Leach took over Moorhead had decimated the program from what it was. He's built it back in one short year and now we're on the upswing.

I'm always amazed that State fans are quick to throw out the baby with the bath water. During his career Leach has won games against much more talented teams with regularity. He has the best talent he's ever coached here at State. Why don't you give him a chance to get things going and see what he can do. He's really only been here 2 1/2 years. Anyone thinking he should be in a hot seat is just an idiot!!!!!!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Is the coach Leach we got a lot different than the coach Leach of the past ? If he is then we got something to talk about, if he's not then we got what we paid for and our issues should be with whomever hired him. I'm asking because I really don't know.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Is the coach Leach we got a lot different than the coach Leach of the past ? If he is then we got something to talk about, if he's not then we got what we paid for and our issues should be with whomever hired him. I'm asking because I really don't know.
I think the hiring thought process was that we were hiring 2008/2018 Mike Leach and hoping it would translate to the SEC. Not mad about the gamble, but I'm not feeling positive about a trend similar to historical Mike Leach.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Long term, we need to set our sites on Jesus Freezus. Of course, by the time Leach steps down Freeze will be knocking down 10 mil a year at Liberty or Texas A&M.
You can bet OM would love to have him back if and when Lane ever leaves.

• Angry

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Long term, we need to set our sites on Jesus Freezus. Of course, by the time Leach steps down Freeze will be knocking down 10 mil a year at Liberty or Texas A&M.
You can bet OM would love to have him back if and when Lane ever leaves.

If we hire Freeze, I'll be gone as an MSU football fan. I doubt I'm the only one.

I can take pretty high levels of questionable morality, but that dude exceeds my acceptance rate for lying Richardheads

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think we're fine on defense. We'll get some studs from inside MS, and develop plenty of guys there, since MS produces those at a high clip. People are cutting up about DL but bottom line MS hasn't produced as many lately, but honestly our defense is very solid right now, despite not having great speed. Not worried at all there.

I totally agree on offense. But you also have to remember, for the most part these are Moorhead guys and then patchwork freshmen/sophomores and JUCOs/portal. But I don't know that it will get much better, MS simply doesn't produce QBs, WRs and OLs at a high enough clip. Mullen developed them because he ran a conducive offense. Leach is going to have to go outside the footprint, which he has to an extent. We won't see the fruits of this until a few more years, when Leach's guys are upperclassmen. You didn't really see Mullen's handpicked guys rise up until 2013 (year 5). So I look for our 'peak' around 2024/2025. We'll likely show flashes in 2024 and then the possible 10+ win season will be 2025. Geez that sucks to say that, but such is life as an MSU fan.

Or he could retire, we could blow it up, and start all over. New AD might want to do that, I suppose, but probably not. I personally prefer the stability, especially when you consider the potential payoffs down the road.

I just don't know what other direction would be better. Gus Malzahn or Willie Fritz maybe. Fritz is older than Leach though. I like the idea of Malzahn IF Leach decides to hang it up instead of sticking in it for the long haul. I think Malzahn's got one good run left in him. And don't look now but Rich Rod has Jacksonville State 7-2.

Or bring back Danny Boy. It's working for North Carolina.

Most likely it won't be better. It could be, but odds are it won't. If Leach leaves, I think Malzahn is a good option to put a reasonably high floor under us. I dont' think he'd be better than Leach but I think could maybe be similar. Maybe arnett depending on who he identifies as a likely OC. I would not object if Mullen actually wanted to come back, but I just don't think his heart is going to be in it again.

• Angry

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think the hiring thought process was that we were hiring 2008/2018 Mike Leach and hoping it would translate to the SEC. Not mad about the gamble, but I'm not feeling positive about a trend similar to historical Mike Leach.
This is where you lose me. This is a bad argument for a couple of reasons. One, he's on the exact same tract as Texas Tech and Wazzou to get elusive 10-win season (both were well into his tenure, like year 5 or 6). Two, if he duplicated 2008 a decade after that, why don't you think he could do it now (or even another decade) later?

The key is, what happens AFTER you build to that peak? We'll never really know because Leach only spent 1 more season at Tech and Wazzou. He regressed in that year at both places, but who knows if you take off after that, long term. Both teams were still pretty good in that year, although at Wazzou he let a few games get away. I still remember that UCLA game, they were up like 42-10 and still lost.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This is where you lose me. This is a bad argument for a couple of reasons. One, he's on the exact same tract as Texas Tech and Wazzou to get elusive 10-win season (both were well into his tenure, like year 5 or 6). Two, if he duplicated 2008 a decade after that, why don't you think he could do it now (or even another decade) later?

The key is, what happens AFTER you build to that peak? We'll never really know because Leach only spent 1 more season at Tech and Wazzou. He regressed in that year at both places, but who knows if you take off after that, long term. Both teams were still pretty good in that year, although at Wazzou he let a few games get away. I still remember that UCLA game, they were up like 42-10 and still lost.
It's possible he needs healthy time like those two stops but gut feeling tells me we are executing the principles pretty well. Our limitation is largely talent in taking the next step and achieving 9/10 win regular seasons.

Did his recruiting significantly improve in the couple years before he peaked at Tech and WSU? I have no clue.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It is tough to change the culture of a team and school. Our team stagnates with prosperity. A lot of our fans are like Eeyores - just looking for something, anything to sit and whine about. Leach needs time to get the team focused and working toward the goal of winning against everyone including Alabama. Some on here think that should happen overnight. Remember, those players go to classes with the Eeyores and hear what is said.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login