Quick Lawn Mower Question Inside (Help)

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Brand new Honda push mower

Ran a little sketchy at the beginning but fine after 5 minutes

Stopped to take a break and noticed the air filter was coming off (?)

Could NOT get the filter back into place and making matter worse it was covered in oil. It wasn't when I started mowing

I did not tilt the mower up, and did not add oil since it had oil in the crankcase.

What is going on?

fang

Nov 29, 2010
I put oil in the foam filter and squeeze the excess out for better filtration. Does “back in place” mean you can get the foam back in the housing or can’t get the bolt in that holds the (filter) housing to the engine?

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Stopped to take a break and noticed the air filter was coming off (?)

Could NOT get the filter back into place and making matter worse it was covered in oil. It wasn't when I started mowing

The oil could be coming from the breather tube if the air filter housing isn't installed properly.

The breather tube includes a reed that collects oil that lubricates the piston, and the breather tube directs the collected oil back to the crankcase.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I think that is the norm,

to lightly oil the foam filter.

That Honda, should have a paper type filter, that is covered by a thin form filter. I oil the thin foam filter.

That filter should fit inside a plastic shell, that is supposed to snap onto the mower.
(my pressure washer with Honda engine, does the same way)

I have had a Honda since 2003....very good mowers.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Make sure it doesn't have too much oil in it....they don't hold much. If the oil level is OK I would do what was recommended above and take it back and demand another mower.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
15 to 18 ounces is normal amount of oil. If it has too much it will blow through the valve and soak the paper filter, this is to keep the motor from building too much pressure. Do not run it with a soaked filter, can't get enough air. If yours is like my old one, you should fill it on a level to just cover the bottom threads, more and it is over full.

If you bought a new filter, make sure it is the Honda filter, not the Briggs that looks very similar. Filter should seat flush and cover should go right back on.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login