R.I.P., Alex Collins…

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
I remember how the Ole Miss fans were upset that that wasn't ruled a fumble. There's actually a difference between a backwards pass that hits the ground and a fumble.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I remember how the Ole Miss fans were upset that that wasn't ruled a fumble. There's actually a difference between a backwards pass that hits the ground and a fumble.
What difference would it make?

I understand being upset that such a crazy play prevented you from becoming the 11th SEC school and 6th SEC West school to play in the SEC Championship Game, but who cares if it is ruled a fumble or not?

Last edited:

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
What difference would it make?

I understand being upset that such a crazy play prevented you from becoming the 11th SEC school and 6th SEC West school to play in the SEC Championship Game, but who cares if it is ruled a fumble or not?
Fourth down fumbles aren't allowed to be advanced unless picked up by the original player, so the play would have been dead after the Arkansas player picked up the ball after it hit the ground. A backward pass, however, can be caught by any player and furthermore if it hits the ground it's still a live ball and isn't subject to the fourth down fumble rule. There's a bit of a judgement call on the part of the officials on distinguishing between a fumble and backward pass that hits the ground. The Arkansas player was clearly trying to pass it to another Arkansas player (it wasn't just tossed into the air with no intended receiver). The rule was created to stop plays like the fumblerooski where there's an intentional fumble picked up by another player.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Fourth down fumbles aren't allowed to be advanced unless picked up by the original player, so the play would have been dead after the Arkansas player picked up the ball after it hit the ground. A backward pass, however, can be caught by any player and furthermore if it hits the ground it's still a live ball and isn't subject to the fourth down fumble rule. There's a bit of a judgement call on the part of the officials on distributing between a fumble and backward pass that hits the ground. The Arkansas player was clearly trying to pass it to another Arkansas player (it wasn't just tossed into the air with no intended receiver). The rule was created to stop plays like the fumblerooski where there's an intentional fumble picked up by another player.
Got it. I wasn't thinking about the 4th down fumble rule. But clearly a backward pass.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login