R.I.P., Billy Packer…

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I ran into him once in Augusta during the week of the Masters. Outside a restaurant there and he seemed nice. I didn't bother him tho. May he RIP.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Since the subject was opened, always heard he was a bit "aloof" shall we say, but lotsa folks are an ******* in somebody's mind.

That said, the dude called 34 Final Fours. He's definitely a part of my youth and young adult fandom. Can still hear his voice clearly.

RIP and condolences.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Billy Packer was an *** hole. I used to work at LSU and I was entertaining them after an CBS game at rhe pmac. He was talking about how unbelievable it was that Chris Jackson from poor ole Mississippi and had played on nothing but dirt roads was as good as he was. I asked him if he had ever been to MS and he said no.. and I angrily said well how the hell do u know if he played on dirt roads? Told him about Gulfport and also told him to either **** his mouth or kiss my ***…. His broadcast partner Brent Muskburger separated us and apologized for him. Brent is a first class gentleman. Packer’s son Mark worked at LSU with Tiger Vision. He was a nice guy. We use to go get hammered in BR and Johnnie Jones always made sure we had plenty of female friends. Damn that was fun to work there. My office was in Tiger Stadium. Joe Dean was a hell of a boss.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Billy Packer was an *** hole. I used to work at LSU and I was entertaining them after an CBS game at rhe pmac. He was talking about how unbelievable it was that Chris Jackson from poor ole Mississippi and had played on nothing but dirt roads was as good as he was. I asked him if he had ever been to MS and he said no.. and I angrily said well how the hell do u know if he played on dirt roads? Told him about Gulfport and also told him to either **** his mouth or kiss my ***…. His broadcast partner Brent Muskburger separated us and apologized for him. Brent is a first class gentleman. Packer’s son Mark worked at LSU with Tiger Vision. He was a nice guy. We use to go get hammered in BR and Johnnie Jones always made sure we had plenty of female friends. Damn that was fun to work there. My office was in Tiger Stadium. Joe Dean was a hell of a boss.
What option did you give him for his mouth? Been trying to figure out those 4 asterisks. “F” his mouth?

Reactions: paindonthurt

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
The great broadcasting days were when they put Dick Enberg, Billy Packer, and Al McGuire together. Packer was obviously the straight man whilst McGuire got all the laughs. I don't know how Enberg held it together. But, McGuire's dialogue and humor wouldn't be tolerated in today's age of political "correctness," He used to talk about guys taking "Chinese steps" in the paint; no way he could get away with that nowadays. Billy MAY have been an a-hole, but Mark is good people.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
Here in WFU country, he's a legend for helping the Deacs get to a Final Four. As a commentator, he was extremely knowledgeable but I found him very full of himself. Instead of analyzing the situation at hand, I felt like he focused on what he thought the teams should do ("what they have to do here is...") . I always took delight when the teams would do just what he said and fail or do the opposite and succeed. In the end, I hope his passing was peaceful and his loved ones find comfort.

Reactions: Ghostman

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
He was overly critical and always biased towards the ACC. I wasn’t a fan back then, but looking back, he was better than what we have today and that was college basketballs golden age. Id take Al McGuire and Billy Packer and that era over what we have today. It’s watered down now, At least he wasn’t PC or afraid to say what he really thought.

Reactions: Ghostman

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The great broadcasting days were when they put Dick Enberg, Billy Packer, and Al McGuire together. Packer was obviously the straight man whilst McGuire got all the laughs. I don't know how Enberg held it together. But, McGuire's dialogue and humor wouldn't be tolerated in today's age of political "correctness," He used to talk about guys taking "Chinese steps" in the paint; no way he could get away with that nowadays. Billy MAY have been an a-hole, but Mark is good people.
McGuire was hilarious.

He spoke at a MSU basketball event I attended back in… ‘79?

Reactions: Anon1664516582

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
McGuire was hilarious.

He spoke at a MSU basketball event I attended back in… ‘79?
They brought in John Wooden one year for the basketball banquet. Still have his autograph on the program. ******* Governor Cliff Finch comes in late and Coach asked him why he was late. And no … he didn’t have his lunch pale bucket he used. Might have been the best prop I have ever seen used by someone to get elected. The hard hat and lunch bucket. Btw. He was a *****. He had a difficult woman in every damn town. Great stories about him and his women in the Siller’s building on the 20th floor.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
They brought in John Wooden one year for the basketball banquet. Still have his autograph on the program. ******* Governor Cliff Finch comes in late and Coach asked him why he was late. And no … he didn’t have his lunch pale bucket he used. Might have been the best prop I have ever seen used by someone to get elected. The hard hat and lunch bucket. Btw. He was a *****. He had a difficult woman in every damn town. Great stories about him and his women in the Siller’s building on the 20th floor.
I'm jealous of anybody that got to see/hear John Wooden speak in person. He was a great man, a developer of men, and described himself as a teacher.

The John Wooden Pyramid of Success

Reactions: Anon1664516582
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login