Raise your hand if ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
you have sensed a continuous decline in your overall interest level with respect to MS baseball.

Maybe it was the cholk manifesto public flameout, or the mind-numbingly strained gnat fractional scholarship deal that cholk uses, or his refusal to **** can non-contributors, or watching opponents leap ahead of us ... I don't know, maybe a combination of all of this. But I find myself not giving the least little bit of a **** about cholk-a-bomber and his fractional misfits. I don't care who they're playing or when. All of my interest in MS baseball has been sucked into a black hole of oblivion.

Anybody else feeling this way?

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
you have sensed a continuous decline in your overall interest level with respect to MS baseball.

Maybe it was the cholk manifesto public flameout, or the mind-numbingly strained gnat fractional scholarship deal that cholk uses, or his refusal to **** can non-contributors, or watching opponents leap ahead of us ... I don't know, maybe a combination of all of this. But I find myself not giving the least little bit of a **** about cholk-a-bomber and his fractional misfits. I don't care who they're playing or when. All of my interest in MS baseball has been sucked into a black hole of oblivion.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Nope, still love to watch and keep up with the team.

So you didnt pay much attention to th team last year?

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
with the FSU sweep, but reality was a ***** in Omaha.

I was just curious if any other former die hards have lost interest like I have. I started listening to Jim in 79. There was a time when I did not miss an inning of any broadcast.

Hell I may the only one feeling this way. Just curious.

ticktaxidog

Feb 26, 2008
To answer your question though...

For me, in a nutshell, yes. It's partially due to mediocrity, and partially due to my not being in 'vegas anymore. LFL was always a good time for me and my friends. We spent alot more time drinking bulldog water and talking to girls than actually watching the game. Now that I'm away, I think my interest has been quelled further by our mediocrity. Polk pulled one out of his *** last year, and in my mind, bought himself atleast one more season.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
Ergo, my caustic opinion, near hatred, of cholk. We tend to demonize the attitudes and actions of others that we easily recognize in ourselves.

Hell, I may be the cholk of this board for all I know.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I hate it that our rival seems to have a better coach than us and we haven't really done a whole lot since Polk came back, but there's nothing better than a weekend at The Dude in the Spring.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
as much as always. That is why I am tired of Polk's less than adequate job performance (since 1991and that is a long time folks). It is time to get someone in here able to make MSU baseball a top SEC program........again.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
Mainly because I can't get to as many games anymore, though. When SEC play starts up, I usually take more notice. But listening to nine innings of a baseball game on the radio is hard to do, and I just don't follow it like when I was roaming the halls of McCool.

Same for basketball really. When SEC play was about to start, I looked at our record and basically thought WTF?? However, the team has sacked up, and barring any cream theory awakenings, has played themselves into the tourney. Therefore, I'm taking more notice.

Finally, it's also that I follow a lot of other sports now.

Oh, and it's also a lot more calming to not hinge my mood on the results of an MSU athletic event, too.

windcrysmary

Nov 11, 2007
making it to Omaha last year for MSU is one of the luckiest things that ever happened to a college sports team...

I'm sorry.. Polk does not accomplish what the program has the ability to accomplish anymore..

realisically, he never has.. there is no reason MSU has never won it all based on what the fans and alumni pumped into it..

We've got everything but a knowledgeable and hungry coach to bring home the bacon...

Bianco is not a diamond in the rough.. when you compare what he's done compared to what Polk has done with similar situations... get the memo? we only need some fire at the helm... politics and cigar boys can go rule 17 themselves...

C

Cains Major

last year. Way too early to just tank. We've got pitching, and I think hitting, not sure about the D. Give it a chance.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Cold, frigid, nice even Sundays. Not anymore. Might go to 5-6 games and tacitly cheer the Diamond Dawgs. Its just not the same anymore, when you don't expect to win everytime they step out on the field

Baseballdawg10

Feb 26, 2008
MSU Baseball is the only thing I care about. Let me get this straight three putt, you lose interest in our baseball program, that went to Omaha last year and goes to the postseason every year but I'm sure you still have tons of interest in our football team. They've had one winning season in like 7 years and I'm sure you bubble at the mouth to watch them.

windcrysmary

Nov 11, 2007
We've got pitching?... dare to elaborate?

I find it interesting to see where people who seem claim to know something about baseball but refuse to acknowledge that baseball is based on yearly totals and year end and year out performance... you look at what we did last year in post season and ignore EVERYTHING else that has happened since his return...

and you SAME koolaid drinking dumbasses will forgive the crap that is getting ready to ensue just because we lucked our asses into a CWS last year and got the **** kicked out of us as fast as ANY team ever did in Omaha...

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
My interest just isn't there. It was there last year when we made our run, but during the season it wasn't. I just don't have the confidence that we will come through. We sacked up last year, but since Polk came back that has been the only time we did so.

Now, to be fair I've been one of the few saying this season isn't over yet, and I don't believe it is. Judging a season by the opening weekend is beyond stupid, and judging any season by early season performance has been proven over and over again this past year by all our major sports to be foolish at best. A typical MSU baseball start ends in Omaha. A 45-0 turnover-fest at home to LSU turns into a 8-5 Liberty Bowl season. A 5-5 start ends up looking like a SEC West Championship and NCAA season in hoops.

All that being said, my feeling about baseball has nothing to do with last weekend. It has to do with Polk's teams performance big picture since his return. He just hasn't delivered consistently. I just don't have faith in him.

C

Cains Major

dumb ***, you dumb ***! It's just early in the year, DUMB ***! Now I'm gonna watch basketball. DUMB ***!

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
I do agree to an extent with what everyone has said on here, but I do disagree about Polk not being able to accomplish what he is capable of. And that's part of the problem- I think he has done as well as he could possibly do. He is a great baseball teacher, but he doesn't have the "killer instinct" to make critical decisions that go against the grain, which ultimately help win championships. Things like leaving a pitcher in too long, playing station to station, and etc. Also, we don't have as many players that are "can't miss" like Clark and Palmeiro where you come out to BP just to watch.

And I'll go ahead and throw my two cents in even though this is a reply. Polk plays a boring brand of baseball unless you have power hitters. Also, our athletic dept hasn't really promoted baseball very well. I hope the current administration changes this. OK yeah, we draw 3,000 on an SEC weekend game with bad weather, and that's better than most people, but we can do a lot better. We need to try to shoot for having 10,000 people on SEC weekends and 3,000 on midweek games. But our AD has basically relied on the lore of MSU baseball to sell itself. Of course that strategy has led us to games populated with a bunch of old farts in the grandstands and the loungers. Baseball is something that has to be promoted. Give away coupons for free cheese sticks at the Cotton District Grill, and my butt will be there. How about Shug Jordan night when everyone with a cowbell gets in for free?

Now, as far as Polk, he is a legend and I respect what he has done for baseball and MSU. I appreciate that, but everyone has a point where they need to move on. He is not going to win a NC at MSU. Basically, we need a younger coach who will recruit aggressively, who is able to have teams that are fundamentally sound on defense, can pitch, can hit for power and at the same time play small ball. We need someone that values winning a NC and taking what Polk built to the next level of winning a championship. I don't necessarily think that the coach needs to be "fiery", though. If that's his personality that's fine to.

As far as our next coach, what we really need to do is make a commitment to find the very best baseball coach that we can find and make him the highest paid in the country. We need to make a statement that we want to be at the championship level.

Also, it's time for a Dudy-Noble field renovation.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I quit caring much about MSU baseball when we lost to North Carolina in 2003. I was against rehiring Polk in 2001, but held out some hope that he could be the coach he once was after he'd won the SEC and reached the CWS at Georgia, but when he choked the 2003 regional away by wasting Maholm against MTSU, I gave up on him. Last postseason was great, but it was a fluke. It won't happen again with Polk as our coach.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
because our basketball team is trying to play it's way into the tournament. Once that is over, I will care a little bit more.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
How about asking those boys up in Oxford, don't you think it just ate them up that we got a Super Regional last year and put more fans in the stands for the 2 ballgames than they did the past 3 years for their 3 ballgames AND we won ours in 2 games (unlike their win the first 1, lose the second 2)...Lucky, I don't think so. And as far as getting the **** kicked out of us, not believing that one either. We had UNC beat early, yet they came back to beat us in a great game AND go on to play in the championship game. I don't think the last 3 weeks of our 2007 season was lucky. So to answer your stupid question, no I don't have my hand raised. Their is nothing like watching the Bulldogs at Dudy Noble on a beautiful Saturday afternoon with a cold brewski!!!

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Quote:_________________________________________________Their is nothing like watching the Bulldogs at Dudy Noble on a beautiful Saturday afternoon with a cold brewski!!! _________________________________________________
Although true, I would much rather watch the game while winning and in the scheme of things, that's all that matters.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
would you care to clue the sentient universe into what the hell you're trying to talk about?

I went back and reviewed the initial post. Unless my reading comprehension has reached Baseballdawg10 depths, I don't find the slightest reference to our illustrious football program.

Are you seriously suggesting that I am a "bubbling at the mouth" supporter of this football program? Seriously?

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
before OM and it was awesome setting the record for 2-day attendance, the fact remains that OM has had a better program than us the past 5 years or so.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...I don't think I would be paying attention right now if we were a top 10 team. Baseball has always been 3rd on the list as far as MSU sports are concerned. When basketball ends, I'll start caring.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
The Malholm decision was a bonehead decision. One I listened to Polk try and explain and was left saying.......what!!

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
I consider it a miracle if we make it to Omaha, when I use to expect it. That's how much my view of baseball has changed.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree Stormrider. I would swap players and coaches with them in a heartbeat if we could. Bianco has built the dominant baseball program in Mississippi and we're just fighting to not get left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login