Random O.T.: Snorkeling aficionados please.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I am finally going on a vacation after many years in the Caribbean. Full face masks are cool and I get them but I have tried them in small doses and the face wear gets old. I plan on doing hours of snorkeling and I never had a problem with mask and mouth snorkels so I want to ask if anyone has experience with full face and any recommendations for a full face mask that doesn’t irritate your face after a bit. Or do you just you just go tried and true with regular mask and mouth breathing.
Thanks all!

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Regular masks didn't work that well for me so I got one of the full face masks. It works ok but 2 things made me drop it. 1. If water happens to get in the snorkel (even though it has the float in it) or in your mask, you can't clear it like you can a regular snorkel. 2. Its tougher to dive down if you see something on the bottom you want to check out. I have since switched to just a pair of swimming goggles and a snorkel and love it. I've gone for an hour and half without a break with just the goggles and snorkel.

Just looked up my Amazon order. I got the Zionor G1 polarized goggles with mirrored lenses.

Last edited:

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I snorkel or dive 2-3 times a month. I love full face masks for about 30 minutes. I use normal masks unless I know it’s a quick dive in. I’ve only tried 2-3 different full masks but they all caused the same irritation and headaches so I gave up trying to find one that works.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I have snorkeled for long periods of times before the full face came out with little problems using the mouthpiece, but I used the full face in small intervals in Homosassa with manatees and I get the draw but it did bug me on the face. I’m going with the mask and mouth snorkel because I will probably be out for several hours.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login