Random question for NFL guys:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I didn't want to derail or distract from the sad news about Larry Allen, but reading that article, it reminded me of something I have wondered about before. It said he made 10 pro bowls and was a 7-time all-pro selection.

I've always wondered, why do we need both distinctions? Like, shouldn't someone making the pro bowl be considered an "all-pro" for that season? Similar to making the all star team in MLB makes you an 'all-star'.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I didn't want to derail or distract from the sad news about Larry Allen, but reading that article, it reminded me of something I have wondered about before. It said he made 10 pro bowls and was a 7-time all-pro selection.

I've always wondered, why do we need both distinctions? Like, shouldn't someone making the pro bowl be considered an "all-pro" for that season? Similar to making the all star team in MLB makes you an 'all-star'.
All Pro is like being an All American. It’s also a contract bonus incentive.

It’s not a fan vote either. It’s strictly voted on by the players.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
All Pro is like being an All American. It’s also a contract bonus incentive.

It’s not a fan vote either. It’s strictly voted on by the players.

Somebody will correct us, but I think Pro Bowl is what's player, coach and fan voted. All Pro is media.

All Pro is more prestigious simply because it's more limited. 1st and 2nd team only I think without all the alternates typically in a Pro Bowl because of the Super Bowl being later.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Somebody will correct us, but I think Pro Bowl is what's player, coach and fan voted. All Pro is media.

All Pro is more prestigious simply because it's more limited. 1st and 2nd team only I think without all the alternates typically in a Pro Bowl because of the Super Bowl being later.
Makes sense, I didn't think about the timing and the Super Bowl participants.

Reactions: She Mate Me

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Makes sense, I didn't think about the timing and the Super Bowl participants.
I don’t think it’s structured this way in the NFL but in the NBA if you make All-NBA you as a player are eligible to get a “super-max” contract from your team.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Slightly off-topic: I still laugh at my gf who said when she was little and heard them mention someone was a pro bowler, she thought that meant they were also a professional bowler. I never confused those two but I will say that being a young kid in the early 70's and hearing 'guerrilla warfare' being brought up on the nightly news in relation to Vietnam coupled with Planet of the Apes used to scare the **** out me.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Slightly off-topic: I still laugh at my gf who said when she was little and heard them mention someone was a pro bowler, she thought that meant they were also a professional bowler. I never confused those two but I will say that being a young kid in the early 70's and hearing 'guerrilla warfare' being brought up on the nightly news in relation to Vietnam coupled with Planet of the Apes used to scare the **** out me.

Same 😂😂🤣

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login