Random Thought on FB Jerseys

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
We had a big overall football uniform change in ‘09, then again in 2012, and then again in 2014. Since then, we’ve pretty much been wearing the same stuff (besides a few minor changes, mostly in the pants) for the last 9 seasons.

Are we just rocking these uniforms forever or has our athletic department just lacked interest in changes to such things? I know it’s extremely random, but I just realized today while rewatching a game from last year how long we’ve been wearing these jerseys.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We had a big overall football uniform change in ‘09, then again in 2012, and then again in 2014. Since then, we’ve pretty much been wearing the same stuff (besides a few minor changes, mostly in the pants) for the last 9 seasons.

Are we just rocking these uniforms forever or has our athletic department just lacked interest in changes to such things? I know it’s extremely random, but I just realized today while rewatching a game from last year how long we’ve been wearing these jerseys.
Penn St, Alabama, UCLA, USC, TX, GA, Auburn,etc etc etc all returned your call and said what's wrong with "rocking these uniforms forever"?

I think tradition is awesome but we can't seem to find traditional because F*ckin Adidas keeps running out all this euro looking 3 stripe bullshat unis to us. I'm so ready to get rid of them

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

Rumors that they are going to slightly change this year. The shoulders will not have the middle color stripe - they will be closer to the ones Dak wore in ‘14. The word mark is going away. Pants will only have 2 strips instead of 3. I repeat, it’s a rumor.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
We don't have a traditional uniform, but Adidas stumbled onto the current design by accident in 2014, and the fans were so happy to see something normal that Stricklin kept them.

The 2014 jerseys were only meant to be worn once, for the 100th anniversary of Scott Field celebration against USM, IIRC. Due to fan reaction, they became our home unis, but they had to be careful because Adidas didn't have any more of the jerseys. Our away unis that year still had the vertical stripe down the shoulders.

Adidas will continue to tweak these unis, and provide alternate unis, until some other company makes us a better offer.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
We don't have a traditional uniform, but Adidas stumbled onto the current design by accident in 2014, and the fans were so happy to see something normal that Stricklin kept them.

The 2014 jerseys were only meant to be worn once, for the 100th anniversary of Scott Field celebration against USM, IIRC. Due to fan reaction, they became our home unis, but they had to be careful because Adidas didn't have any more of the jerseys. Our away unis that year still had the vertical stripe down the shoulders.

Adidas will continue to tweak these unis, and provide alternate unis, until some other company makes us a better offer.
Didn’t they originally say “hail state” on the chest where the banner is now?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That "Miss State" on the chest is so Big 12. The woodmark Mississippi State logo is far more professional looking and avoids "Miss".

MState is the best looking, longest running, most successful logo in Mississippi State University history.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Rumors are there will be a new uniform look this year. And we will be doing the interlocking msu for one game. After they do it, you may see a repeat of 2014 where the fans love it so much we make it more permanent. The script was really only suppose to be for a game and we ran that out several times last year

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Whoever owns that enclosed trailer that parks beside dorman on game days. It has the 96 msu on it.

As my daughter and i walk by, she is a current student, ask if that was a Mississippi State logo. I say yes. She says, "that's awful". Hahahaha.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Whoever owns that enclosed trailer that parks beside dorman on game days. It has the 96 msu on it.

As my daughter and i walk by, she is a current student, ask if that was a Mississippi State logo. I say yes. She says, "that's awful". Hahahaha.
Yeah, I don't mind the interlocking MSU, but it's not the holy grail of our logos as some on here claim. I think it's mostly nostalgia which is ok.

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
Penn St, Alabama, UCLA, USC, TX, GA, Auburn,etc etc etc all returned your call and said what's wrong with "rocking these uniforms forever"?

I think tradition is awesome but we can't seem to find traditional because F*ckin Adidas keeps running out all this euro looking 3 stripe bullshat unis to us. I'm so ready to get rid of them
I never said there was anything wrong with keeping the jerseys. I was asking if that’s what we believe they are doing, or if they ever plan to change them. This was never a “my opinion is we should do this” post. I was just wondering since they changed them so much in the early 2010’s

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
Just to add to this, for my two cents I like the jerseys we wear now but I really liked the concept of the uniforms we wore vs Bowling Green last year. It was a simpler look but it worked for me. Would love to see us move toward something like that if we did ever change it up.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one
Comedy Central GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

IMG_1518.png

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
We wear so much different uniforms and jerseys, I had to Google to even remember what we wore vs BG. Which I see is the 1970s practice jersey looking things.

Anways, those 2014-??(2022?) jerseys are the best looking jerseys we have worn in my memory.... going back to 1980. I fully expect some changes this year for a "new era" but... hopefully we have something more imaginable Than 1970 practice jerseys.

with that said, State needs a total overhaul to their look ( or aTm needs to go ). Something to differentiate us from them. As it stands now, we are damn near twins, except the decal on the helmet.

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
We wear so much different uniforms and jerseys, I had to Google to even remember what we wore vs BG. Which I see is the 1970s practice jersey looking things.

Anways, those 2014-??(2022?) jerseys are the best looking jerseys we have worn in my memory.... going back to 1980. I fully expect some changes this year for a "new era" but... hopefully we have something more imaginable Than 1970 practice jerseys.

with that said, State needs a total overhaul to their look ( or aTm needs to go ). Something to differentiate us from them. As it stands now, we are damn near twins, except the decal on the helmet.
Ehh, agree to disagree on the jerseys vs BG. I liked that they weren’t super flashy, the overall uniform combo reminded me of a Penn State vibe. That’s just me though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ehh, agree to disagree on the jerseys vs BG. I liked that they weren’t super flashy, the overall uniform combo reminded me of a Penn State vibe. That’s just me though.
Not super flashy may be the understatement of the year. Those were practice jerseys. If you're gonna throwback, at least wear throwback game jerseys.
1687659447995.png

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
Not super flashy may be the understatement of the year. Those were practice jerseys. If you're gonna throwback, at least wear throwback game jerseys.
View attachment 357168
Well actually, those were game jerseys we wore back in the 70’s. We wore them to commemorate Robert Bell, a former player. And like I said, I liked them. Cool if you didn’t. They were actually quite popular with the fan base on social media

Last edited:

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

If it ain’t broke, don’t 17 with it.

(That said, I don’t love the Mississippi state wordmark on the chest either. Block STATE would be fine)

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Well, we don't really have football tradition, except for losing. So, we don't have traditional uniforms.

I say we just continually mix it up. As long as maroon and white is there, and they don't look awful like they did in the Croom Error, I don't care.

I see no problem being a little Oregony. The apparel companies are going to mix and match anyway, and it's no more wasteful than anybody else. Even Alabama probably gets new uniforms a few times a year, even if they are the same thing.

I'll say again like I've said 1,000 times. Trying to do things like the blue bloods do is simply a futile effort for us. They win because they have a lot of money and fans. We punch about as good as we can in those departments, but we are limited there. We have to do other things.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
As for marketing the football program and creating some tradition, State caught lightning in a bottle with Byrne, Mullen and Dak all coming along about the same time.

However rather than stick with a look, which we did for most of the Dak era, we now allow Adidas to roll out whatever, to sell more merchandise. I don't believe State is even trying to create a traditional look. It is all about a new theme each year to sell more T-shirt's and polos etc.

With that said, most schools are doing it as well.

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
As for marketing the football program and creating some tradition, State caught lightning in a bottle with Byrne, Mullen and Dak all coming along about the same time.

However rather than stick with a look, which we did for most of the Dak era, we now allow Adidas to roll out whatever, to sell more merchandise. I don't believe State is even trying to create a traditional look. It is all about a new theme each year to sell more T-shirt's and polos etc.

With that said, most schools are doing it as well.
I agree. I would really like to just find a look and stick with it. I’ve liked a few of the alternate uni’s over the years, but I think we wear way too many of them. It does seem like we’re more interested in doing that more than anything. And the only reason I say “find a look” is because I know a lot of our fan base like the current uniforms but want tweaks to them, mostly with the logo.

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
The first 2023-24 fashion Barbie uni thread is here!
Nope. Couldn’t care less about all the alternate uni’s we will wear this year. Was just wondering everyone’s opinion on if we will change uni style at any point or keep the current ones.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
It's been discussed, but I still wish we would embrace "State" - I don't care if it's on the jersey or the helmet or whatever, but we should take ownership of the term. Leach's now-famous black shirt was all over the news last year, so the timing is good. We already use Hail State, we don't want "Miss" in the nickname, and "Mississippi" is long and unwieldy. It's not a huge leap.

Most other P5 candidates have pretty commonly accepted names. K-State, Wazzu, Penn State, NC State, LSU, Michigan State (MSU), Ok State (OSU), Ohio State, Oregon State, Florida State (FSU), Arizona State. Who am I missing? We should just take it. That's how trademarks are built - you start using it, marketing around it, and after a while it's ubiquitous and you own the brand.

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
It's been discussed, but I still wish we would embrace "State" - I don't care if it's on the jersey or the helmet or whatever, but we should take ownership of the term. Leach's now-famous black shirt was all over the news last year, so the timing is good. We already use Hail State, we don't want "Miss" in the nickname, and "Mississippi" is long and unwieldy. It's not a huge leap.

Most other P5 candidates have pretty commonly accepted names. K-State, Wazzu, Penn State, NC State, LSU, Michigan State (MSU), Ok State (OSU), Ohio State, Oregon State, Florida State (FSU), Arizona State. Who am I missing? We should just take it. That's how trademarks are built - you start using it, marketing around it, and after a while it's ubiquitous and you own the brand.
I agree. I’ve noticed around the SEC that most fanbases refer to us as State, probably mostly because we’re the only other State school in the conference besides LSU, and they only go by that name. It would be cool to expand that usage.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I agree. I’ve noticed around the SEC that most fanbases refer to us as State, probably mostly because we’re the only other State school in the conference besides LSU, and they only go by that name. It would be cool to expand that usage.
Yeah, the guys on the SECN already call us State. Like I said, it's not a huge leap.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login