Rank these teams baseball edition

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
2022 is way more talented than any of them. 1,3,4-7 will all get drafted at some point.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
This year’s team is bad but not as bad as those others. 2010 is probably the worst team in school history.

We can at least partially blame the injury bug this year also. We went into the year expecting to have a 1st round caliber Friday night guy. Tyler Whitney and Preston Brown were not exactly that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This years team had the most talent of all of those going into the season.
The rest of the country did too, though. COVID seniors and such. It's all relative.

Perfect storm of events, but yeah, it's still going to be looked at in the same vein with those other losing teams. Of course, anybody with a brain can see it's more of a 2015 situational type deal, rather than 2008-2010 type total rebuilds.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
The rest of the country did too, though. COVID seniors and such. It's all relative.

Perfect storm of events, but yeah, it's still going to be looked at in the same vein with those other losing teams. Of course, anybody with a brain can see it's more of a 2015 situational type deal, rather than 2008-2010 type total rebuilds.

So who are the pieces on this team that we're building around next year?

2015 had these young guys returning: Collins, rooker, Gridley, sexton, Houston, Hudson, and Robson

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So who are the pieces on this team that we're building around next year?

2015 had these young guys returning: Collins, rooker, Gridley, sexton, Houston, Hudson, and Robson
Hines, Forsythe, Clark, Alford, Downs, possibly Hancock, Smith, Fristoe, Tepper, Walker, Cheatham, Hunt

Not to mention we will be top dawg in the portal

Any more questions?

By the way, Hudson and Houston didn’t do **** until 2016. And we have just as highly recruited guys now as we did then. Rooker played sparingly and none of the others had been true playmaking leaders

You’re going to look stupid next year. Being a slave to the moment will do that to you.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Houston pitched in 21 games in 2015 with a 3.66 era with an 11.53 k9. Guess you already got the jump on me looking stupid, as usual.

I would love to get Hancock and Clark back, but next season, but not sure we'll see that. Smith, Hines, and maybe lane could be nice pieces for sure. Not sure about the rest of those guys be cornerstones

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Houston pitched in 21 games in 2015 with a 3.66 era with an 11.53 k9. Guess you already got the jump on me looking stupid, as usual.

I would love to get Hancock and Clark back, but next season, but not sure we'll see that. Smith, Hines, and maybe lane could be nice pieces for sure. Not sure about the rest of those guys be cornerstones
Houston wasn’t worth a **** until back half of 2016. You and your stats suck.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The rising Jr class is just awful. And its a terrible class to have missed on bc it was the 5 round draft so everyone got some studs in. Its probably the class we paid the largest price for In coaching turnover.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The rising Jr class is just awful. And its a terrible class to have missed on bc it was the 5 round draft so everyone got some studs in. Its probably the class we paid the largest price for In coaching turnover.
I bet you said the same thing after 2015. They all sucked…..until they didn’t, in 2016.

Hudson, Sexton, Houston, Humphreys, Collins, Robson

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Hines, Forsythe, Clark, Alford, Downs, possibly Hancock, Smith, Fristoe, Tepper, Walker, Cheatham, Hunt

That’s not a lot to build on…gotta hit Portal and JC ranks hard.
Agree on the portal/JUCO. For about then tenth time, while everyone was saying the same thing about 2015, and those guys grew up their junior year - they still got help in the form of Lowe, Kruger, and Rigby.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Agree on the portal/JUCO. For about then tenth time, while everyone was saying the same thing about 2015, and those guys grew up their junior year - they still got help in the form of Lowe, Kruger, and Rigby.

Well, sure if we get 3 transfers of that quality, we will be much improved. Until we actually see those type of players committed, you're just hoping we right the ship next season.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And Considering we have zero juco position players signed Id say a Lowe/Kruger scenario is unlikely. And the idea that the portal will save us is probably incorrect. Good programs are going to plug a hole here or there but you can’t thrive off the portal each year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well, sure if we get 3 transfers of that quality, we will be much improved. Until we actually see those type of players committed, you're just hoping we right the ship next season.
We get guys every year, and there are already some names out there. Nobody knew much about those guys until they came here. They weren't drafted until they had their breakout years for us (though Lowe was close).

Do you truly think we're headed downhill? Do you truly think we aren't talented? Do you truly not understand that the injuries, and then being on the bad side of luck due to that - whether it's pressing, taking too many chances, etc. have created a spiraling effect that has contributed to this season falling off a cliff (very similarly to 2015)?

I don't think you're one of the idiots on this board. But you cling to an obscure stat like it's a lifeboat off the Titanic, with hardly any context. Maybe you just enjoy negativity? Because I see plenty of positive here too. This season sucks, no doubt about it. But it's explainable. And it's not "unacceptable" or any of this other **** that the hot-takers spew. It just happens sometimes. Happened to UCLA after they beat us, and they were right back in the thick of things the next year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
And Considering we have zero juco position players signed Id say a Lowe/Kruger scenario is unlikely. And the idea that the portal will save us is probably incorrect. Good programs are going to plug a hole here or there but you can’t thrive off the portal each year.
Lowe and Kruger were not typical JUCO players. This day and age, they'd have been portal players.

I would say the portal is 100% going to be a vital resource for us, we are MSU, and will have our pick of the litter. You're going to be surprised with the names that pop up.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
We get guys every year, and there are already some names out there. Nobody knew much about those guys until they came here. They weren't drafted until they had their breakout years for us (though Lowe was close).

Do you truly think we're headed downhill? Do you truly think we aren't talented? Do you truly not understand that the injuries, and then being on the bad side of luck due to that - whether it's pressing, taking too many chances, etc. have created a spiraling effect that has contributed to this season falling off a cliff (very similarly to 2015)?

I don't think you're one of the idiots on this board. But you cling to an obscure stat like it's a lifeboat off the Titanic, with hardly any context. Maybe you just enjoy negativity? Because I see plenty of positive here too. This season sucks, no doubt about it. But it's explainable. And it's not "unacceptable" or any of this other **** that the hot-takers spew. It just happens sometimes. Happened to UCLA after they beat us, and they were right back in the thick of things the next year.

I never said we were headed for a downfall. I have serious doubts that next year is the one that we get right though. I just don't see much young talent

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I never said we were headed for a downfall. I have serious doubts that next year is the one that we get right though. I just don't see much young talent
They have the accolades. I try not to judge freshmen, because hardly any of them do what Hines did. But Lemonis is a good recruiter (on paper at minimum), all the guys we have signed have been highly sought after, so if he's making a mistake, then a lot of programs are making the same mistake.

That said, sometimes I may question the type of players we sign, but that's not an MSU-specific issue. Sometimes I wish we'd take a more Lane Burroughs approach, and sign more athletic and scrappy guys rather than the pretty travel ballers with big numbers, but that's a different discussion. We are MSU, so we can really choose whichever path we want. Just don't know if we have enough Saban-esque type 'stroke' to handle all the primadonnas.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login