Ravens resign Lamar Jackson - 5 years - $260 million

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Episode 17 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

Reactions: paindonthurt

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Lamar is the most elusive QB I've ever seen. Not a bad passer either. He's only going to get better. Good for him.

Reactions: HailDat

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Bama fans working to find a way to claim Jackson as one of their own Built by Bama™️

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Lamar is the most elusive QB I've ever seen. Not a bad passer either. He's only going to get better. Good for him.
He’s only played 12 games each of the last 2 seasons. No doubt he’s got a skill set that most NFL QBs don’t have but I wouldn’t have given him this contract given how many games he’s missed.

His numbers are average at best the last 2 years. Now that could be due to the fact that he only has one playmaker, and that is a TE.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
My gawwwd. This generations healthier version of Michael Vick getting a pay day.

I can’t see much ROI coming from this. But, nobody cares about the Ravens, so no biggie.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Is the board really going to do this with every new NFL QB contract?

In 3 years, Jackson (a former MVP), is not even going to be a Top 5 paid QB.

He’s getting his $52 million and 15 minutes after Hurts got his. In a few months, Burrow - another QB with zero rings - is going to get $54 million per year. A few months after that, Justin Herbert is going to get $55-$56 million per year. Sometime this year or next, Dak will get a 3 or 4 year extension putting him in the same ballpark with Burrow / Herbert. Then Fields is going to cash in and be highest paid. And on and on.

None of these teams are making mistakes. They are paying the market price for franchise QB’s and the guaranteed production they provide. And the cap goes up every year….which is why the sooner in your QB’s initial contract that you can get the extension done, the better. As long as the percentage of the QB’s hit on the cap isn’t increasing drastically from other similarly valued QB’s and their percentage hit on their cap, these teams are doing what they must to remain competitive.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Honestly it's more about the merchandise and TV draws more than winning deep in the playoffs.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If he stays healthy enough for 12-14 games a year, then the Ravens got their money worth

How much do you think a team will pay for that talent level at QB? It wasn't that long ago that they were laughing about Dak getting $40 million a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perd Hapley

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

None of these teams are making mistakes. They are paying the market price for franchise QB’s and the guaranteed production they provide.
This is where I disagree. I understand nothing is guaranteed but production from Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson are closer to doubtful than guaranteed. That’s why I think those deals are stupid. I agree with your statement in relation to the Hurts deal. I don’t think he’s a long term solution for a team that wants to win Super Bowls, but there are very few of those available. He’s better than most other options and that’s what QB’s cost. I would’ve traded Jackson two years ago after he won the MVP.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I've always kinda liked Lamar Jackson since he tweeted congrats to our players after the bowl game.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is where I disagree. I understand nothing is guaranteed but production from Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson are closer to doubtful than guaranteed. That’s why I think those deals are stupid. I agree with your statement in relation to the Hurts deal. I don’t think he’s a long term solution for a team that wants to win Super Bowls, but there are very few of those available. He’s better than most other options and that’s what QB’s cost. I would’ve traded Jackson two years ago after he won the MVP.

You don’t win the MVP without being about as much of a guarantee as one can be from a production standpoint, when healthy.

Lamar’s issues the past 2 years have been his health and not having any receivers worth a damn outside of Rashod Bateman and Andrews, who have both struggled with their own health. They haven’t lost many (maybe any) games due to Lamar Jackson not being good enough.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
You don’t win the MVP without being about as much of a guarantee as one can be from a production standpoint, when healthy.

Lamar’s issues the past 2 years have been his health
Exactly. Two years in a row is a trend. Don’t pay top dollar for a car with repeated mechanical problems.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly. Two years in a row is a trend. Don’t pay top dollar for a car with repeated mechanical problems.

There have been a few studies that have proven a very high degree of randomness to injuries at the QB position.

If you lowball Jackson and he walks, you look foolish if he throws up a 4,000 / 1,000 season or two right afterwards. And injuries and all, the Ravens have gotten quite a discount on him for 5 years now. That’s the other part of it. He got drafted in pretty much the worst possible slot for a QB….end of the first round. Substantially lower rookie contract than early first rounders, but the team still maintains 5 years of control. Players are rightly going to demand to be paid at or above market when they deliver production on their rookie deal that is well beyond their pay grade.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If he stays healthy enough for 12-14 games a year, then the Ravens got their money worth

How much do you think a team will pay for that talent level at QB? It wasn't that long ago that they were laughing about Dak getting $40 million a year.

And somehow nobody seems to consider Dak as nearly as much of an injury risk as Jackson, despite him missing about twice as many games as Jackson has due to injury in his first 5 years in the league - and that’s without being nearly as much of a running QB.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Anyone who gives Justin Fields that kind of money should be committed.

Fields is just the next guy on the Lamar / Hurts trajectory. Great runner and decent enough passer to carry a team if they build around him. Chicago has made great moves to add DJ Moore and draft capital to help them improve. Obviously he’s not there yet, but he’s the next one who could potentially make the leap.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login