Realignment: Army to the American…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Long expected.

Army will be a football member only and replaces SMU.

The Army - Navy game will be a nonconference game unless both schools finish in the top 2. Then they will play for the conference title and then have a nonconference rematch the following week.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don’t get what you mean.

The Army - Navy game is usually the weekend after the conference playoff games so there’s no conflict.

The playoff games don’t start currently until close to January 1 (maybe December 30-31 too this year) and expansion puts them to December 16 which is still a week after the Army-Navy game and two weeks after conference title games.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007

The Army - Navy game is usually the weekend after the conference playoff games so there’s no conflict.

The playoff games don’t start currently until close to January 1 (maybe December 30-31 too this year) and expansion puts them to December 16 which is still a week after the Army-Navy game and two weeks after conference title games.
I think what he means is the ridiculousness of a potential Army-Navy game on 2 straight Saturdays. Or more likely, an Ohio St - Michigan game on back to back Saturdays.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Wish the military academies (along with a few others) would move to a lower division. No one has stricter entrance requirements than the military academies.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Move Army/Navy a week up, then do Round 1 of playoffs December 9 or whatever. But that's not the point.

Conference championships are a relic of the old system. They create all these re-matches, which aren't really good for football (I know that we may get them in the playoff but they actually mean something then). They simply aren't needed, and the ones who cry MoNeY, well, the playoffs will generate much more.

How do you award conference titles? Easy, best record. Sometimes you get lucky, and yes, you can have multiple champions and banners. Parity, right? It's all good, it gives hope, etc.

Having Army/Navy play a conference title game, then a non-con game, illustrates how ridiculous it really is.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I understand this may be a popular game nationwide, but I have no interest in two middling teams playing.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I would love for us to schedule a home and home with Army.
If we can’t get that, then a home and home with Navy in Annapolis would be cool as well.

Reactions: Dawgg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
They better hurry up and do it within the next 15 years or I probably won’t feel like it or even care to go by then 😂

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Conference championships are a relic of the old system. They create all these re-matches, which aren't really good for football (I know that we may get them in the playoff but they actually mean something then). They simply aren't needed, and the ones who cry MoNeY, well, the playoffs will generate much more.

How do you award conference titles? Easy, best record. Sometimes you get lucky, and yes, you can have multiple champions and banners. Parity, right? It's all good, it gives hope, etc.
Few things here:
1. Disney, NBC, CBS and Fox have forked over a sнit ton of money for the SEC and Big Ten (and to a lesser degree Big 12 & ACC) championship games for the next decade, so it would be 2034 before that’s even on the table.

2. Ratings for the SEC Championship are perennially the highest or second highest of any game outside the semifinals or the championship. We won’t really know how well first round playoff games do in the ratings until next year, but right now, asking Disney to drop the highest rated non-playoff game is a tall task, especially when there’s no guarantee that they’ll carry a playoff game in its place.

3. This is America. We don’t do co-champions. Take that commie sнit to Cuba… and burn the boat behind you.

4. Put down the crack.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Does anyone know why we don't or haven't scheduled the service academies? We've only played each one of them one time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Few things here:
1. Disney, NBC, CBS and Fox have forked over a sнit ton of money for the SEC and Big Ten (and to a lesser degree Big 12 & ACC) championship games for the next decade, so it would be 2034 before that’s even on the table.

2. Ratings for the SEC Championship are perennially the highest or second highest of any game outside the semifinals or the championship. We won’t really know how well first round playoff games do in the ratings until next year, but right now, asking Disney to drop the highest rated non-playoff game is a tall task, especially when there’s no guarantee that they’ll carry a playoff game in its place.

3. This is America. We don’t do co-champions. Take that commie sнit to Cuba… and burn the boat behind you.

4. Put down the crack.
I know they won't get rid of them. Doesn't mean they aren't stupid. Same value as conference titles in basketball and baseball, except less exciting, and they won't yield the cinderella teams nearly as often.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login