Realignment: Big 12 NOT adding UConn any time soon

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I think this is an indicator that it's not going to be a slam dunk for some of these ACC teams to find new homes if/when they can get out of the ACC. I'm not saying UConn is FSU/Clemson/UNC/Miami, but it is somewhat of a name brand nationally, especially in basketball. I guess what I'm saying is that if UConn can't get into the freaking Big 12, can FSU/Clemson/UNC/Miami be considered a done deal for the SEC or Big Ten?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I think this is an indicator that it's not going to be a slam dunk for some of these ACC teams to find new homes if/when they can get out of the ACC. I'm not saying UConn is FSU/Clemson/UNC/Miami, but it is somewhat of a name brand nationally, especially in basketball. I guess what I'm saying is that if UConn can't get into the freaking Big 12, can FSU/Clemson/UNC/Miami be considered a done deal for the SEC or Big Ten?
With the new rules coming for how schools can use their own budgets to fund NIL, you're going to see an interesting dynamic for teams like UConn. Basketball pays the bills for them and they are going to allocate most of their funds to that sport. Big time basketball-only programs like Villanova, Georgetown, and Marquette are going to have a huge NIL advantage over the schools that have major P4 football programs.

So, it may not ultimately be to their benefit to join a major conference if football takes away from basketball.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
With the new rules coming for how schools can use their own budgets to fund NIL, you're going to see an interesting dynamic for teams like UConn. Basketball pays the bills for them and they are going to allocate most of their funds to that sport. Big time basketball-only programs like Villanova, Georgetown, and Marquette are going to have a huge NIL advantage over the schools that have major P4 football programs.

So, it may not ultimately be to their benefit to join a major conference if football takes away from basketball.
You're probably right on that. One of the sentences that stood out to me in the article was "It included a conversation about how UConn would invest in football in order to be competitive in the Big 12." Their original plan was for basketball and non-revenue sports to join immediately with football joining when the Big 12's media contracts expire in 2031. Yormack thinks basketball is an area where the Big 12 can get a lot of value and possibly become the sport's premier conference. It was one of the reasons he was pushing for Gonzaga last year. The ADs and Presidents seem to disagree.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

Connecticut is the only FBS school in a wealthy state. If they decided to care about football, they could put together a roster.

Reactions: Dawgg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Connecticut is the only FBS school in a wealthy state. If they decided to care about football, they could put together a roster.
Probably the same with Rutgers and I've always wondered why Maryland and Virginia didn't field more competitive football programs.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022

Charlie has been talking about how much $ South Carolina is spending on their women's basketball team & how it's screwing the football program

patdog

May 28, 2007
What would be hilarious is if Clemson and FSU win their lawsuits against the ACC only to see the SEC and Big 10 divide up Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Stanford, Cal (a lot of Big 10 presidents still want those two) and Virginia.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think anyone's going anywhere, anytime soon. This may drag out long enough that FSU and Clemson find themselves better off to stay in the ACC.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think anyone's going anywhere, anytime soon. This may drag out long enough that FSU and Clemson find themselves better off to stay in the ACC.
I think you're right, but UConn is an independent in football (Big East in every other sport). There are 3 FBS independents (UConn, UMass, ND), so they're easily the second biggest brand as far as those 3 go. That's the main reason I thought they may have had a chance of getting picked up. They're also rumored to be top of list for any future ACC backfills that could happen if/when the dam breaks on that situation, so it made sense that the Big 12 would want to head off an ACC expansion target.

You're right though, I think there's too much in flux in college football right now.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
What would be hilarious is if Clemson and FSU win their lawsuits against the ACC only to see the SEC and Big 10 divide up Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Stanford, Cal (a lot of Big 10 presidents still want those two) and Virginia.
I honestly feel like this is something that could happen. I think, at this point, Clemson and FSU ending up in the Big 12 is as likely as them ending up in either the Big Ten or SEC.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I literally cannot keep up with who is in what conference. Like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, I’m too old for this ****
It's simple...
The Big 12 has 16 teams, of course.
The Big Ten has 18 teams, obviously.
The Pac-12 has 2 teams, as God intended.
The Atlantic Coast Conference has teams in Texas, Kentucky, and the Pacific Coast, as expected.
The American covers 11 states and nothing west of the Central time zone, which is pretty much all of America.
Conference USA covers 9 states and nothing north of Virginia or Kentucky, so basically the whole USA.
The Sun Belt conference includes teams from Virginia and West Virginia, as you would think.
The Mid-American Conference has a team in New York, which is about as Middle America as it gets (ok, fine, it's Buffalo, but I needed something).
The Southeastern Conference has Midwestern schools with wrestling programs, just like the founders envisioned in 1932.
The Mountain West is... well... they're all in the mountains and/or the West, so .... no notes.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
This is all so absurd. University Presidents, AD’s, and conference commissioners are destroying decades of history, traditions, and rivalries all for the sake of maximizing a short term buck. The PAC-10/12 conference is no more. Washington State and Oregon State are homeless. And Stanford and Cal are playing in the Atlantic Coast Conference which will evaporate in short order. It’s really sad to see.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Yeah, UCONN is a well-known name, and their football team is hit or miss (mostly miss). Their baseball team has been pretty darn good as of late, and of course basketball is elite and on the verge of a Dynasty. Their addition to any major conference will spark a lot of interest in the New England area.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is all so absurd. University Presidents, AD’s, and conference commissioners are destroying decades of history, traditions, and rivalries all for the sake of maximizing a short term buck. The PAC-10/12 conference is no more. Washington State and Oregon State are homeless. And Stanford and Cal are playing in the Atlantic Coast Conference which will evaporate in short order. It’s really sad to see.
Preach. It's also funny how the only people who are spewing this as good are people that are vested in the system (talking heads, recruitniks, sports writers, etc.). People who really care about the good of the game can see just how badly this is all FUBAR. At some point we have to eject as fans.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I literally cannot keep up with who is in what conference. Like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, I’m too old for this ****
The SEC. It’s all you need to know. Everyone else is irrelevant

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Tell that to Rutgers, Syracuse, and Boston College.

Having a monopoly in a “wealthy state” doesn’t mean anything if your state is a very remote location relative to the talent you need.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The SEC. It’s all you need to know. Everyone else is irrelevant
SEC is the only reason we all still care at all. We’ve been insulated from a lot of the BS being in the south. We care more about sports than most.

We are going to find out soon though that if we want pro sports, we already had the NFL.

Reactions: Mr. Cook
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login