Realistic impact on Bowl games

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I’m curious to see how the new format will effect the NY6 bowl games’ financials and the economic impact on the host cities.

Teams and fans used to come into town early and enjoy several days of activities. They’d fill up hotels, restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues. They’d buy a ton of merch. The Bowls would host and manage a lot of the logistics.

Fans would travel knowing this might be the last time they see their team. Now, most will have to decide which, if any, Bowls they will attend. Do they just attend their home game if they’re lucky? Ticket sales at the Bowls will be impacted.

Teams will end up eating the tickets they are required to buy.

Will the bands travel to each Bowl game?

The list goes on. There is no doubt that these games have become “made for TV” productions. It will be interesting to see how that impacts the “in person” experience. 🤔

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I’m curious to see how the new format will effect the NY6 bowl games’ financials and the economic impact on the host cities.

Teams and fans used to come into town early and enjoy several days of activities. They’d fill up hotels, restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues. They’d buy a ton of merch. The Bowls would host and manage a lot of the logistics.

Fans would travel knowing this might be the last time they see their team. Now, most will have to decide which, if any, Bowls they will attend. Do they just attend their home game if they’re lucky? Ticket sales at the Bowls will be impacted.

Teams will end up eating the tickets they are required to buy.

Will the bands travel to each Bowl game?

The list goes on. There is no doubt that these games have become “made for TV” productions. It will be interesting to see how that impacts the “in person” experience. 🤔

To what degree is this different than for NFL fans? (Legit question).

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Think of the various P4 teams who are looking really good right now and where they might be in a month after their season goes south or they get whacked in the conference championship game and they don't make the playoff. I'm thinking of teams like Pitt, Iowa State/BYU, Indiana, LSU/aTm and the like who have sugar plums dancing in their head but then end up with 2 losses and their consolation prize is the Gator Bowl. There will be mass opt outs and I can't imagine the borderline casual/diehard fan will shell out big bucks to go to a glorified scrimmage.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I agree. Going forward, Bowls will look like any other NFL game.

But I think NFL games are very different from college bowl games of old. I don’t know of any NFL team or fan base that travels in multiple days ahead and has parties, volunteering at charity events, nights at Top Golf, etc….

I just don’t know what the economic impact will be of losing the traditional bowl experience.

Reactions: Midnighter

Psumatt85

Oct 13, 2021
Not an expert but….
When I have attended NFL playoffs, I have been local and only went for game. I believe season ticket holders get most of the tickets. Only Super Bowl was multi day event

when I have gone to bowl games, always planned 3-5 days around it. Would not do that 3 times in one year

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
Think of the various P4 teams who are looking really good right now and where they might be in a month after their season goes south or they get whacked in the conference championship game and they don't make the playoff. I'm thinking of teams like Pitt, Iowa State/BYU, Indiana, LSU/aTm and the like who have sugar plums dancing in their head but then end up with 2 losses and their consolation prize is the Gator Bowl. There will be mass opt outs and I can't imagine the borderline casual/diehard fan will shell out big bucks to go to a glorified scrimmage.
Agree. TV money needs to cover the expenses. Ticket sales will definitely suffer. I believe the teams are required to buy X amount of tickets. It will be interesting to see if universities start to opt out of bowls because it’s a money losing proposition.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Big championship. Who cares,
Teams should really want 5-6 seed. That would give them a fairly easy home game and it would be a sellout and a good warmup game for the bowl game instead of teams being off for a month and coming out cold or out of sync.
So the home game would be a sellout,
Then if close proximity to where you live, prob go to bowl game. If not you roll the dice they win and then go to semis.
if they win that and you have enough points championship we go, now in future years if they keep doing that who knows,
The last time we were at least 1 loss going into a bowl game was 2008, 2005 and undefeated 1994 so those were just goes.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
The NFL is using home fans to fill up the stadiums, outside of the Super Bowl. It's different when you're trying to put 90k in the Rose Bowl and the matchup is Iowa St vs. Ohio St., when Ohio St hosted a game a week and a half ago, and is hoping to head on the road again in 10 days for a semifinal. I'd think there is still enough interest to fill stadiums with marquee teams, but probably not at a $400/ticket price point, or if Boise St upsets OSU and you're trying to get 90k for Boise St-Iowa St.

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
The first 4 teams you mention will probably have a few opt outs but will probably travel to a bigger than expected bowl game, although some of these teams don’t have a large fan base. However, teams like LSU and Penn State will have a HUGE opt out issue. A lot of fans who went to the peach bowl last year said “no more” after the opt out/play count joke that game became.

Reactions: WanderingSpectator

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The NFL is using home fans to fill up the stadiums, outside of the Super Bowl. It's different when you're trying to put 90k in the Rose Bowl and the matchup is Iowa St vs. Ohio St., when Ohio St hosted a game a week and a half ago, and is hoping to head on the road again in 10 days for a semifinal. I'd think there is still enough interest to fill stadiums with marquee teams, but probably not at a $400/ticket price point, or if Boise St upsets OSU and you're trying to get 90k for Boise St-Iowa St.
Yup and regardless of the match ups, a fan is faced with traveling 3-4 times to follow his team with in not many more weeks.

Reactions: WanderingSpectator

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login