Really OT: AI and law...

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
With Artificial Intelligence how are courts going to know if a piece of evidence is real or not? Just not legal but also civil. How will they know if a voice recording, or video is real? It's kind of scary what can be done with it and how it can be used to destroy someone life. It is only going to progress. I wonder if the good that comes from it outweighs the bad that can come from or Vis versa.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Layering is hard, but a deep fake would somehow have to fool your opponents as well as the Court. Evidence has to be validated by witness testimony.

If a fake recording relates to someone involved in the case, then the opposing party should know it is fake and be able to prove it.

One can imagine a situation where a party presents exculpatory evidence involving only third parties, but the othrr side should demand all meta data that relates to the production of the evidence.

I faced this issue years ago with a surprise computer file that turned up in discovery. First I had to explain to the judge what meta data was, and then I had to convince her I needed it and that it would not be difficult to provide.

Eventually we proved the document had been created recently and back dated a couple years. Settlement ensued.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login