Reassessing Cohen

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Cohen has been bashed on here plenty and has deserved some, if not all, of it. But, just looking at the very recent, maybe he gets a little atta boy too.

Football - Leach was once thought by many to be a horrible hire, now is showing to be a pretty good one.
Baseball - Just won a natty and are reloading.
Mens BBall - May be best team Howland has fielded since he's been here and we look to be a legit tourny team. (still early but so far so good)
Womens BBall - Went through a spell but "interim" seems to have them playing well.
Volley Ball - Playing extremely well.
Seems like there are other smaller programs that are on an upward trajectory but I can't think of them.

Anyway, I have no problem calling him out when he sucks so I also need to acknowledge when our programs are in a pretty good place.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m not saying Cohen is not without fault. Cause obviously he’s made some bad calls… but he’s not as terrible as some on this board make him out to be.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Cohen is going to be here for a long time assuming he stays healthy. We're lucky to have him. It seems reasonable that June 2021 through June 2022 will be one of the best calendar years in MSU Athletic History.

Starkville_Native

Apr 30, 2014
Only by the dumbest segment of our fan base who can’t see past Ole Miss having a good QB for one year.
I'm with you here. Would rather have a proven winner like Leach (not looking to leave anytime soon, IMO) than Kiffin (connected to every single HC opening, just like Mullen was).

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I'm with you here. Would rather have a proven winner like Leach (not looking to leave anytime soon, IMO) than Kiffin (connected to every single HC opening, just like Mullen was).

Agree. The football team has made steady improvements under Leach (think back to last year when we took 45 players to GA and were in it at the end). The Kiffin non-stop rumors has the potential to de-rail their recruiting class in the early period.

I was of the opinion before this FB season that Cohen would get a rare 3rd FB hire anyway because of the long awaited baseball NC. But the more I see the football team progress, the more I think that there won’t be a 3rd hire…

MetEdDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Cohen still needs to go.

1. Football has had a massive culture change and will finish 7-5 or 8-4 with a Cohen hire
2. Baseball won a national championship with a Cohen hire
3. Volleyball ranked for the first time in program history and has a chance at SEC Co Champs with a Cohen hire
4. Softball just finished with a Top 10 recruiting class and made a regional with a Cohen hire
5. Men's basketball likely to make the NCAA Tournament

I would say there's a lot of data that shows our big 3 sports are heading in the right direction and that some of our smaller non revenue sports are successful with Cohen hires.

Care to explain why he should still be fired?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Agree. The football team has made steady improvements under Leach (think back to last year when we took 45 players to GA and were in it at the end). The Kiffin non-stop rumors has the potential to de-rail their recruiting class in the early period.

I was of the opinion before this FB season that Cohen would get a rare 3rd FB hire anyway because of the long awaited baseball NC. But the more I see the football team progress, the more I think that there won’t be a 3rd hire…
There's no question that continuity is a big deal. I know many people say that it's OK to have your coach hired away because you're winning, but I don't think so. It's better than firing a guy for sure, but if you look at all programs that take the next step, they've all been built on a long-tenured coach. Over 5 years minimum.

With Leach, we hit the trifecta. He's a good coach, he has a track record of staying for a while with little drama, and he also doesn't show up on others' lists because of his weirdness. If he can keep a consistent defense we have a chance to change things around here.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
1. Football has had a massive culture change and will finish 7-5 or 8-4 with a Cohen hire
3. Volleyball ranked for the first time in program history and has a chance at SEC Co Champs with a Cohen hire
4. Softball just finished with a Top 10 recruiting class and made a regional with a Cohen hire

I would say there's a lot of data that shows our big 3 sports are heading in the right direction and that some of our smaller non revenue sports are successful with Cohen hires.

but those concession stand lines bruh ************

But seriously, why are you all trying to reason with shankass? He can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity or remorse. And he absolutely will not stop - EVER - until we are dead.

Or at minimum, we are so annoyed that we just go punch ourselves in the face 55 times and try to figure out why we argued with such a dumb ****.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Bc you like a power run?
No, because he is a Baseball coach, not an AD. Just compare things a few years ago to now, I'm talking about how game days are run and marketing and the like. Hiring an ex coach is something you did 40 years ago. It's more a business now.

Last edited:

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Cohen is going to be here for a long time assuming he stays healthy. We're lucky to have him. It seems reasonable that June 2021 through June 2022 will be one of the best calendar years in MSU Athletic History.

Jesus. Same was said about 2018-19, and maybe even 19-20..

I get it, we won a natty and everything else is gravy. But we are M State. And we are returning the Injun bones. Still, just let it play out.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
but those concession stand lines bruh ************

But seriously, why are you all trying to reason with shankass? He can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity or remorse. And he absolutely will not stop - EVER - until we are dead.

Or at minimum, we are so annoyed that we just go punch ourselves in the face 55 times and try to figure out why we argued with such a dumb ****.

That's my new objective, to get you to punch yourself in the face 55 times! :)

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
No, because he is a Baseball coach, not an AD. Just compare things a few years ago to now, I'm talking about how game days are run and marketing and the like. Hiring an ex coach is something you did 40 years ago. It's more a business now.

Do you think there aren’t business people on his staff?

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
(think back to last year when we took 45 players to GA and were in it at the end).
And here we go. It was 49 scholarship players plus walk ons. In a few years, people will be saying we were down to just 10 players and had to pull the 11th man out of the stands....

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Should have fired him the moment we got back from Omaha. #sellhigh

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
His backup plans have worked out. Imagine if we had gotten Schlossnagle and Judge after hiring Moorhead. Throw in Nikki and I think he's been more lucky than good. Sometimes that's for the best.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
His backup plans have worked out. Imagine if we had gotten Schlossnagle and Judge after hiring Moorhead. Throw in Nikki and I think he's been more lucky than good. Sometimes that's for the best.

You have a point there. But hardly any (if any) SEC politically correct/business type AD would've stuck their neck out on Leach. Lemonis was a pretty safe hire from that standpoint tho.

Cohen also smart enough to know that power football at MSU isn't gonna beat Bama, Ga, LSU most years.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I'm not a Cohen fan, but I'm not going to knock him. He's good in certain areas and needs improvement in others, like marketing, but maybe with some experience he'll get there. It's in all of our best interest for him to do well. I just think our brand could be better. I didn't dislike the Leach hire, I was in wait and see mode. I'm glad we got him, he's a heck of a coach. Same with Lemonis, didn't know what to expect, but of course, glad we got him too. I think mens bb could possibly use an upgrade. I'm kind of in wait and see mode for this year. Hopefully Holland proves me wrong. But they all have my support as long as they're Dawgs.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I'm just glad you're not the AD. If you were we'd never win more than 8 games a year in football, get past a regional in baseball, and we'd have Renaldo Sidney's all throughout our basketball rosters.
Well, seeing as we did win more than 8 games a couple of times, made it past regionals several times, and didn't have RSs all through the basketball roster back in those pre JC days your argument is week. I still find it funny after all these years that many still think Sidney was the worst apple on that team and that he was Stans' downfall. It started LONG before Sidney.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
You have a point there. But hardly any (if any) SEC politically correct/business type AD would've stuck their neck out on Leach. Lemonis was a pretty safe hire from that standpoint tho.

Cohen also smart enough to know that power football at MSU isn't gonna beat Bama, Ga, LSU most years.

TN would've hired him but for their President. We're 1-4 vs those teams under Leach. Two blow outs to AL. I wouldn't hold my breath on beating them and GA anytime soon. LSU is always up and down because they can't find the right coach to keep it rolling since Saban.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
Well, seeing as we did win more than 8 games a couple of times, made it past regionals several times, and didn't have RSs all through the basketball roster back in those pre JC days your argument is week. I still find it funny after all these years that many still think Sidney was the worst apple on that team and that he was Stans' downfall. It started LONG before Sidney.

I know it started way before Sidney. He was just the premier poster child. Sky could've been the limit for him. Extremely talented kid with very bad attitude.

And yea we did all that and you wanna stay with what works to just do those things on occasion (on occasion). I'm not in the know on everything going on in Ath Dept but it does appear to me that Cohen is stretching to try to surpass what has been done on occasion, and only on occasion, previously. Or to stay more consistently at those levels and have the really great years on occasion.

So Lemonis has surpassed what's been done previously and has to keep the mojo going, Leach has to do what Leach normally does but with even more talent now so maybe better, and hopefully Howland may be starting to get there too.

And we weren't beating Bama, UGA, & LSU very often with run first offense and limited passing attacks. Cohen is aware of that. The teams that beat those teams beat them throwing the ball.

So far ... I think Cohen is doing alright myself.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I know it started way before Sidney. He was just the premier poster child. Sky could've been the limit for him. Extremely talented kid with very bad attitude.

And yea we did all that and you wanna stay with what works to just do those things on occasion (on occasion). I'm not in the know on everything going on in Ath Dept but it does appear to me that Cohen is stretching to try to surpass what has been done on occasion, and only on occasion, previously. Or to stay more consistently at those levels and have the really great years on occasion.

So Lemonis has surpassed what's been done previously and has to keep the mojo going, Leach has to do what Leach normally does but with even more talent now so maybe better, and hopefully Howland may be starting to get there too.

And we weren't beating Bama, UGA, & LSU very often with run first offense and limited passing attacks. Cohen is aware of that. The teams that beat those teams beat them throwing the ball.

So far ... I think Cohen is doing alright myself.
I can't help but noticing we aren't beating them now either.

Rayburn8

Feb 26, 2013

Ya, but still......

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
I can't help but noticing we aren't beating them now either.

Neither is your boy Mullen at FL. Did get over Kirby hump last year but now can't beat Orgeron, or anyone else of substance for that matter. Leach is on 3rd school as HC and hasn't fallen off a cliff at any of them. Certainly not at a recruiting paradise like FL. Mullen gonna Mullen ... you gonna you. ***

Leach's 2nd year after inheriting a train wreck from JoMo. Beat LSU once and should've been twice. Took GA to matt last year. All with Frosh (last year) and Soph (this year) skill players for most part. He's doing alright in my book.
He does still has to keep it improving here tho.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
TN would've hired him but for their President. We're 1-4 vs those teams under Leach. Two blow outs to AL. I wouldn't hold my breath on beating them and GA anytime soon. LSU is always up and down because they can't find the right coach to keep it rolling since Saban.

I know. We'll see what happens next year. May get smoked again ... dunno. But we did play Ga close at Athens last year. This year it was more the "Bama mystique" than the Bama team that beat us. That and Leach/Miller not getting help for Lashley on Anderson Jr. In 9 years under Mullen we only had 2 close contests against Bama. It may turn out that way with Leach too ... dunno yet. But I like our chances better throwing than trying to run it on them.

dotcomdawg

Oct 2, 2013
I am a huge fan of Cohen and what has done (and is doing) for MSU athletics.

Played on the the winningest baseball team.

Coached to the natty game in 2013

Brought a natty winning coach in baseball

Solid coaches all around

If Mike Leach wins an SEC championship....

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login