Recruiting and social media

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,792
17,674
113
I know this won't come as a shock to anyone here, but it's slow season for news, so whatever. I read an article recently (last few months) by one of the recruiting services who had conducted anonymous interviews with a bunch of recruits. One of the questions dealt with players who announce a top 15 or 10 or 4 or whatever. The players admitted that releasing a "top #" list was entirely about gaining followers on social media and had little to do with their recruiting process. I never did put much stock into these lists for the simple reason that we seem to make a whole bunch of elite players' top 10 lists but rarely ever land one. I'm a dinosaur, so the idea of doing things to gain a social media following hadn't occurred to me in this context, but it makes perfect sense now. I can't count how many times I've seen our fans go giddy over us landing in some player's top 5, even though we know he's a UGA lock. So, all that say what we all already knew: the top # lists are completely bogus.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KingWard

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,792
17,674
113
Social media is one of the worst things to happen to recruiting, right?
 

KingWard

All-American
Feb 15, 2022
8,562
8,738
113
I hadn't thought about it a whole lot, but it makes perfect sense.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Recruiting INTEL: South Carolina football hosting top recruits, including SEC commits for Kentucky game
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Three keys to a South Carolina win over Kentucky
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football Behind Enemy Lines: Kentucky writer breaks down Wildcats ahead of South Carolina game
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Womens Basketball South Carolina women's basketball: Reporter roundtable - Pressure, important games, and key players
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football South Carolina linemen named among college football's most impactful freshmen