Red River Rivalry

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Why the hell is this still played in the Cotton Bowl?

They can't play a night game because it's not a safe area at night.

They should play in AT&T Stadium.

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008
Game ticket includes a fair ticket as well, because you can't get to the stadium without going through the fair.

Yes that stadium sucks compared to Jerry's World, but that is what makes the Red River Shootout (or showdown or rivalry, whatever we have to call it today) great. Same two teams, playing each other in the same stadium since 1930's, during the Texas State Fair. You don't get that if you move the game and sanitize it. It becomes just another rivalry game at that point.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Game ticket includes a fair ticket as well, because you can't get to the stadium without going through the fair.

Yes that stadium sucks compared to Jerry's World, but that is what makes the Red River Shootout (or showdown or rivalry, whatever we have to call it today) great. Same two teams, playing each other in the same stadium since 1930's, during the Texas State Fair. You don't get that if you move the game and sanitize it. It becomes just another rivalry game at that point.
and the way they split the fans completely on each half of the stadium looks cool too. You wouldn't get that in the Jerry monstrosity.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

As if college football really cares about rivalries anymore anyway.

It'll eventually end up in Jerryworld, or on campuses.

Reactions: Maroon13

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I've been at the fair when the game was going on. Very fun. Fun to have the waves of folks flush through. It's unique to say the least

Reactions: Dawgg
Aug 24, 2012
OU and UT fans would shít a brick if they moved that game. It’s a very big deal to be at the Fairgrounds.
As DCD said and as someone with a ton of UT friends and a handful of OU friends, they would sh*t brick if they moved it to Jerry World or on their campuses. That game isn't gong anywhere. Been to it a couple of times and it's fun as hell with the State Fair and football game going on. I will be interested to see how the 2:30pm kick goes this year and see if they keep it in that 2:30 time slot. I mean, the 11am traditional kick is a sh*t show. I cant wait to see how this goes. They are going to run out of jail cells.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
As if college football really cares about rivalries anymore anyway.

It'll eventually end up in Jerryworld, or on campuses.
I'm gonna hard disagree on that one. Jerry and Arlington tried to get that game right after they built AT&T Stadium and everybody involved said 'no thanks' and I don't think there's any more appetite to do it today than there was 15 years ago (wow... 15 years already. I've lived here way too long). Dallas is dumping $140 Million to update the stadium and OU/Texas signed an extension to keep the game there until at least 2036.

It's something unique in the world of college football and I hope it never goes away.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm gonna hard disagree on that one. Jerry and Arlington tried to get that game right after they built AT&T Stadium and everybody involved said 'no thanks' and I don't think there's any more appetite to do it today than there was 15 years ago (wow... 15 years already. I've lived here way too long). Dallas is dumping $140 Million to update the stadium and OU/Texas signed an extension to keep the game there until at least 2036.

It's something unique in the world of college football and I hope it never goes away.
If they are updating the stadium then maybe so. UGa/Fla is at least at an NFL stadium that will constantly be maintained.

I equate it to baseball at the dumpy Hoover Met. Hoover spending a bunch of money too.

But I never say something will never happen anymore. Right mix of money and opportunity and a mess up somewhere else, and poof.

Reactions: Dawgg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If they are updating the stadium then maybe so. UGa/Fla is at least at an NFL stadium that will constantly be maintained.

I equate it to baseball at the dumpy Hoover Met. Hoover spending a bunch of money too.

But I never say something will never happen anymore. Right mix of money and opportunity and a mess up somewhere else, and poof.
Everbank Stadium is a dump. I think they are supposed to renovate it soon but it’s not the greatest stadium in the world.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login