Ref 17ed Dak

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Such a dumb call. 3 shots from
the 40 is better than 1 from the 25-30

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
100% agree. But the game was lost with the 14 penalties. The worst part is 49ers were nearly as bad with the penalties. That second half was garbage from both teams.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
They didn't help themselves by trying to spot the ball themselves. It has to go back to the ref. The center should have given it to the line judge.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They’re two of the most penalized teams in the NFL. Put them together and you have a **** show of a game.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
umpire. line judge is on the sideline and would have just thrown the ball back to the umpire to spot.

They kept blaming Dak but that's on the center. He should be the one holding the ball and finding the umpire... and hovering over his hand ready to spot. But it's a really bad process that the umpire then has to get out of the way. I thought they moved him back to his traditional spot in the LBs late in the game to avoid that.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I didn’t hate the call but it’s risky as hell.

Probably should have taken one more 5 to 15 sideline shot vs the draw.

ETA: honestly should have had a play designed to look like a sideline play and then see if you can catch them off guard down the middle or with a deep wheel route.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
umpire. line judge is on the sideline and would have just thrown the ball back to the umpire to spot.

They kept blaming Dak but that's on the center. He should be the one holding the ball and finding the umpire... and hovering over his hand ready to spot. But it's a really bad process that the umpire then has to get out of the way. I thought they moved him back to his traditional spot in the LBs late in the game to avoid that.

I love to defend Dak but no, thats not on the center. Dak has to be thinking like a receiver and looking for the ref to make sure it gets there.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's the NFL. Centers are traditionally some of the smartest people on the team. There's plenty of blame to go around though. Including the umpire that was slow to react as well. He certainly wasn't in hurry up mode.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
it's all semantics really to me... That was a really stupid play call. No reason to take that risk for 10, 20 or even 30 yards... no matter what it does, it gives you a single play rather than probably 2. I would rather take 2 shots to the endzone from the 40 than one shot from the 30, 20 or 10...

And i'm not defending Dak. It's just common sense. Dak has to give the ball to someone or place it. Center has to be on the ball to snap it. Umpire has to spot the ball. If the Center is holding the ball for the umpire, you have connected 2 of the 3 dots that have to happen.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Typically as refs you are supposed to go same pace all game as to not favor one team or the other in a hurry up situation. Now if that pace is too slow all game that's on the refs. Cowboys just made a bone head play call. Dak wasn't keeping track of time on the run to get down faster. And have to give the ball to umpire. For a pro team their football iq is really low. You had guys blocking the back for no reason. Guys tackling other players (Gregory). Just undisciplined and not very smart players. Over paid snd thinking about spending the next 4 months somewhere tropical with hot women rather than playing smart and winning. Like I said last night they talk about wanting to win a super bowl but they don't really mean it. Cowboys last decade or more have been more like the wwe. Lot of talk but just really there for entertainment and who wins doesn't really matter as long as they get paid their big contracts and be apart of the cowboys.

Last edited:

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
agreed. the prob for the cowboys/their fans is that they want to focus on that last play... To the rest of us who are casual Dak fans who watch their games, we see the absolute cluster that is that team the other 90% of the time when Dak is unable to play at an absurdly high enough level to carry them.

The truths are this.
McCarthy is a joke.
The Defense is terrible
Kellen Moore is a 'genius' only when Dak is playing out of his mind.
Zeke is a mediocre back in a league that places no value on the RB position anymore.
Jerry Jones is easily in the bottom half of worst Owner/GMs in the league,
And I have ZERO idea why anyone praises that OL as being one of the best in the league. They are not good. THey have not been good. They are only good when Dak has the ability to get the ball out fast.

ColoradoDawg

Sep 3, 2016
That was an awful performance. Did JoMo coach the Cowboys that game? Hot garbage from beginning to end, they deserved to lose.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m pretty sure he got down in plenty of time all things considered.

Just a risky play and ref wasn’t there.

If it’s on anyone it’s on the coach, but it was a long shot for a win no matter what.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I love to defend Dak but no, thats not on the center. Dak has to be thinking like a receiver and looking for the ref to make sure it gets there.

Uh, when Dak got up the umpire was still 10+ yards behind the play. In fact, the whole Dallas offensive line beat the umpire down to the spot. And then when he finally got there he felt the need to pick the ball up the ball and move it a whole whopping 1 foot back for no real reason where normally he would just touch the ball for play and that chewed up another second or two. He was a joke.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
agreed. the prob for the cowboys/their fans is that they want to focus on that last play... To the rest of us who are casual Dak fans who watch their games, we see the absolute cluster that is that team the other 90% of the time when Dak is unable to play at an absurdly high enough level to carry them.

The truths are this.
McCarthy is a joke.
The Defense is terrible
Zeke is a mediocre back in a league that places no value on the RB position anymore.
And I have ZERO idea why anyone praises that OL as being one of the best in the league. They are not good. THey have not been good. They are only good when Dak has the ability to get the ball out fast.

That sums it up. Only a slight disagreement on Zeke….he’s a little bit better than a “mediocre back”, especially considering how durable he’s been given the workload he’s had over the years. But, he’s wayyy past his prime and nowhere close to being a back that can take over a game like Derrick Henry, Jonathan Taylor, or Dalvin Cook, which is a problem because that is what he is being paid to be.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
here is a question I have.. what if dak ran 15 yards and then threw a lateral out of bounds.. wouldn't that have stopped the clock?? wouldn't need to get to the line and clock it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
A forward pass would be a penalty. A lateral is perfectly legal and would have been Cowboys ball where the ball went out of bounds with no penalty or runoff.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You cannot intentionally throw a ball backwards out of bounds to save time that late in the game. I believe it is rule 4.7.1. And in 1999, Matt Butler got penalized for it on the game winning drive against KY

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
8dog is right. It's a judgement call but you cannot throw the ball out 'JUST TO CONSERVE TIME'... And... I think even then, the time would never stop from the sense of 'forward momentum' was going backwards so the clock would keep running. If a player is pushed backwards out of bounds, the clock keeps running. Clock only stops when the player is going forward and pushed out.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

The truths are this.
McCarthy is a joke.
The Defense is terrible

I don't think anyone has been praising that OL this year.

Kellen Moore's shtick is running a play or two early for limited gain with the intent of running it again later but tweaking it to catch the D expecting the earlier play and burn them for a big play. Teams have caught on, it's not working for him anymore, since about mid-season. The rest of his game plan is about putting a defensive player in a spot of having to defend two possibilities and getting a good gain either way. That doesn't work if you can't block for shite. When your blocking sucks, football becomes about figuring out who you can overpower, not who you can out think. Double teams and don't let the LB stand you up. Jimmies and Joe's, not Xs and Os. Moore doesn't know that, and keeps running plays that are designed to trick a 2nd level player when his play maker can't get past the 1st level. It's not hard to run for 3 yards at any level of football, when that is your goal and you have a credible passing game. But Moore consistently can't, and it's because his goal is to trick that 2nd level defender and run for 10. Thus he has less focus on blocking the DL and setting the RB up to make a play on the LB, which ends up with the RB not getting past the DL. Teams moved to 7 and 8 man zone passing Ds, and still stopped the run with it, and still got great pressure on the QB. They were relying on a 4 man DL front to stop the run, and it did because Moore never countered it by playing smashmouth football until he didn't have to anymore.

When Dallas has been able to block the other team, they've put up 30+ pretty dang easily. But when they struggle to block, they barely score at all. That feast or famine result is magnified with them beyond what is typical, and that's why. If they stick with Moore they should probably let Cooper go for cap space and spend it on the OL, then after next year cut Zeke (30M is dead money if cut for 2022) for 2023 and also spend it on OL.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
You can not run the ball with 14 seconds left.

Whoever called that play should be fired.

The bottom line is the Cowboys had plenty of chances to win, but just failed.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Uh, when Dak got up the umpire was still 10+ yards behind the play. In fact, the whole Dallas offensive line beat the umpire down to the spot. And then when he finally got there he felt the need to pick the ball up the ball and move it a whole whopping 1 foot back for no real reason where normally he would just touch the ball for play and that chewed up another second or two. He was a joke.

And then move it forward a little...taking away the chance to "clock" the ball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login