Remember back when the QB was the "missing piece" at Mississippi State because we had the other pieces in place?

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Now we are trying to sign a QB with little to no supporting cast for him to work with. That is bass-ackwards and likely why we will not get the guy we want out of the portal. If we can get a talent like DJU or Tyler Van Dyke, we will be very fortunate! But even one of the lower end of the Top 10 available we should be jumping for joy.

The Top Guys arent coming here to go 4-8 or 5-7.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Man this board sucks. We’ll be fine

if we somehow land Gabriel (currently favored in the odds) 7 wins is the floor.
Where are you seeing that we're favored for Gabriel? Everything I'm seeing says it's Oregon unless something goes wrong with his visit next week, and even then, USC seems to be emerging as the next likely spot.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Gabriel would be widely considered a top 10 QB in college football next year. That would put our floor at 7 wins. Not that complicated. Many solid portal players would follow if he commits.
Gabriel is a great QB, no doubt. But we return 3(?) starters on offense and defense combined. Our roster is decimated. Signing day is less than 2 weeks away. Yes, solid talent will be more interested in us if we land Gabriel. But unless that includes 3-4 starting caliber OL, 1-2 offensive playmakers, 3 secondary players, multiple LBs and a DL or two then we are in trouble.

There is no possible way we sign enough quality players in the portal that would get our floor to 7 wins.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Gabriel would be widely considered a top 10 QB in college football next year. That would put our floor at 7 wins. Not that complicated. Many solid portal players would follow if he commits.
Floor? Talk to me about our defense, and also who exactly are these guaranteed
wins against?

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Gabriel is a great QB, no doubt. But we return 3(?) starters on offense and defense combined. Our roster is decimated. Signing day is less than 2 weeks away. Yes, solid talent will be more interested in us if we land Gabriel. But unless that includes 3-4 starting caliber OL, 1-2 offensive playmakers, 3 secondary players, multiple LBs and a DL or two then we are in trouble.

There is no possible way we sign enough quality players in the portal that would get our floor to 7 wins.

Floor? Talk to me about our defense, and also who exactly are these guaranteed
wins against?
These comments show me you have no idea how modern day CFB works. It’s all about NIL and portal which the new staff is 100% engaged in. The portal just opened a few days ago. A lot will change from now until 2024 season - this roster will look completely different.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Where are you seeing that we're favored for Gabriel? Everything I'm seeing says it's Oregon unless something goes wrong with his visit next week, and even then, USC seems to be emerging as the next likely spot.
Surprisingly Vegas has us 1:1 favorites to get him.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Now we are trying to sign a QB with little to no supporting cast for him to work with. That is bass-ackwards and likely why we will not get the guy we want out of the portal. If we can get a talent like DJU or Tyler Van Dyke, we will be very fortunate! But even one of the lower end of the Top 10 available we should be jumping for joy.

The Top Guys arent coming here to go 4-8 or 5-7.
Not backwards. Good QBs attract better players.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
These comments show me you have no idea how modern day CFB works. It’s all about NIL and portal which the new staff is 100% engaged in. The portal just opened a few days ago. A lot will change from now until 2024 season - this roster will look completely different.
I am very familiar with how it CAN work, but that's not how it always DOES work. Of course the roster will look completely different. We are gonna bring in a ton of guys. You are the one that's assuming that all or most of these guys will be good/SEC starting quality and produce at that level.

That is a remarkably bold assumption based on absolutely nothing. Just because the new staff will utilize the portal doesn't mean they will be able to actually get 10-15 players than can slot right in and produce at a high level in year 1.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Maybe you could temp him with cars, women and money.
Coach Lebby will do a fine job of that on his own. I am going to go ahead and say it, and if I am wrong then I am wrong, but my true belief is that you have just as much of a chance of seeing Bigfoot in Starkville next year as you do seeing Gabriel.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You are setting yourself up for disappointment. We are amateur u. We repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Coach Lebby will do a fine job of that on his own. I am going to go ahead and say it, and if I am wrong then I am wrong, but my true belief is that you have just as much chance of seeing Bigfoot in Starkville next year as you doing seeing Gabriel.
That big foot would have to walk at least halfway through our state. His head would be hanging on the wall and his hind quarter would be in a deep fryer. Way too many hunters in Mississippi for him to get that deep into the state.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
You are setting yourself up for disappointment. We are amateur u. We repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
I said we would get at least 7 wins IF we got a top 10 quarterback in the country. That’s setting myself up for disappointment? Seriously what the 17 is wrong with yall

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I am very familiar with how it CAN work, but that's not how it always DOES work. Of course the roster will look completely different. We are gonna bring in a ton of guys. You are the one that's assuming that all or most of these guys will be good/SEC starting quality and produce at that level.

That is a remarkably bold assumption based on absolutely nothing. Just because the new staff will utilize the portal doesn't mean they will be able to actually get 10-15 players than can slot right in and produce at a high level in year 1.
So in your opinion we will go out and spend millions of dollars on players that aren’t SEC caliber and we’ll suck next year. Got it. I guess we’re going to have to disagree on this one

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It has continued to be the missing piece. Rogers was fine but he didn’t give the team a decided edge. Getting a good QB, especially if they have clout, will help facilitate recruitment of other skill positions. It’s a no brainer to get the best QB possible but I doubt Lebby is dumb enough to sell out the house for one guy.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
sad dev GIF by Walkers Crisps

Last edited:

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Your comment show me that you have a lot of assumptions that are grounded in pure speculation. I’m sure things will change and the roster will look different, but so will most everyone else’s.
Your comment show me that you have a lot of assumptions that are grounded in pure speculation. I’m sure things will change and the roster will look different, but so will most everyone else’s. I’m glad you’re optimistic, I really am.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I suspect if we land a big time QB out of the portal more talent will follow.
I would suspect in this new landscape of college football, that NIL money draws talent more than a QB transfer. In fact, I’d say it’s now all about the money, sadly.

Nov 20, 2023
Getting Gabriel and the floor being 7 wins would surely be nice. I just hope we get him but won’t be surprised at all if we don’t. That way I’m not set up to be let down. Although I hope they do what they can to get him. As well as much talent as possible.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Since someone complained about impp thread, you are right. Posters even complain about hot women
Lots of middle aged posters on this board… probably half going thru a mid life crisis. Only problem is most don’t have the funds to up and move to Idaho, like Joe Lee socks, to solve their mid life crisis

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This message board is starting to suck with negativism.
It has changed. I used to visit much more often but the new site ad issues and posting subjects have me visiting less. I blame a board change, crappy football, and a new coach season for the mood. I hope that basketball and baseball are at least competitive in both and maybe it will endure another change. The hostility is getting old to read. Folks were always tough but now we go from disagreeing to talking like Jerry Springer rejects in nothing flat. We seem to have no respect for differing opinions.

soapbox rant\

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I said we would get at least 7 wins IF we got a top 10 quarterback in the country. That’s setting myself up for disappointment? Seriously what the 17 is wrong with yall
We have a friend time head coach and first time defensive coordinator plus a slew of staff that haven't been here nor coached together. We have a depleted roster. So, your gonna have to replace a qb with top10

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login