Remember when some posters wanted us to hire Kenny Payne?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Thank God we didn’t. He has completely buried the Louisville basketball program at the bottom of the ACC. They lost at home to Arkansas State last night to drop to 4-6 after going 4-28 last season. Also, a few hours before the game, Louisville put out a press release that one of their players, Koron Davis, who had not played at all this season, was entering the transfer portal. Davis responded on X saying no he was not. The school then put out another press release saying Davis had been dismissed from the team. Davis then showed up to watch the game from the stands wearing Louisville team apparel. The whole thing is a comical farce. I don’t see how Payne makes it through the season.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
When you combine that loss with the fact that they went 4-28 last season and probably will win single digits again this season, yeah, they’re in a lot worse shape.

ETA: Southern’s NET ranking is 169 while Arkansas State’s is 224, so, to answer your question, Arkansas State is the worse loss.

Last edited:

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
When you combine that loss with the fact that they went 4-28 last season and probably will win single digits again this season, yeah, they’re in a lot worse shape.

ETA: Southern’s NET ranking is 169 while Arkansas State’s is 224, so, to answer your question, Arkansas State is the worse loss.
Let's revisit those Net rankings in February for Southern & Arkansas State. Southern plays a lot of conference games against teams with RPIs below 300.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Are we really going to argue this? Are we really trying to say Jans and Kenny Payne are on the same level?
It’s like some SixPack posters think they get points if they have a negative take on MSU. How else could you turn a thread making fun of Kenny Payne and Louisville into a comparison between the programs where the argument is that MSU is worse in some regard?

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Such a weird hire. I get that he played there but a program like Louisville should never hire an assistant to be a first time head coach. They’ll probably right the ship by hiring Mick Cronin

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Thank God we didn’t. He has completely buried the Louisville basketball program at the bottom of the ACC. They lost at home to Arkansas State last night to drop to 4-6 after going 4-28 last season. Also, a few hours before the game, Louisville put out a press release that one of their players, Koron Davis, who had not played at all this season, was entering the transfer portal. Davis responded on X saying no he was not. The school then put out another press release saying Davis had been dismissed from the team. Davis then showed up to watch the game from the stands wearing Louisville team apparel. The whole thing is a comical farce. I don’t see how Payne makes it through the season.
Wasn't he under consideration when we hired Rick Ray? I like Rick Ray and if we were going to make a bad coach a millionaire, I'd rather it have been him than Kenny Payne, but would Kenny Payne really have been worse than Rick Ray as far as results?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you're going to go the recrooter route, better make sure they have plenty of name cache or be in with WWW. Payne wasn't, despite all his years with Cal.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Are we really going to argue this? Are we really trying to say Jans and Kenny Payne are on the same level?
Please don't misunderstand me. Kenny Payne is a 17ing joke & I am a huge fan/proponent of Jans. The Rick Ray years would have been worse if we had hired Kenny Payne instead.
Chris Jans' basketball program is the best thing about MSU Athletics currently.
I did not attempt to compare Jans to Payne in any way.
My point is this loss to Southern will leave a huge mark. Best case it will cost MSU 2 spots in NCAA seeding. That Southern games is the worst loss/biggest upset by a MSU basketball team since my fandom started in the mid-70's. I think Charlie Winfield made a similar point on his podcast earlier this week. ***I guess he is a hater also***

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wasn't he under consideration when we hired Rick Ray? I like Rick Ray and if we were going to make a bad coach a millionaire, I'd rather it have been him than Kenny Payne, but would Kenny Payne really have been worse than Rick Ray as far as results?
Evidently, yes. Its pretty unbelievable that Rick Ray was actually the right call….given just those 2 choices.

But the actual right call, at that time, would have been to just hire Kermit.

Reactions: Dawgpile

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Please don't misunderstand me. Kenny Payne is a 17ing joke & I am a huge fan/proponent of Jans. The Rick Ray years would have been worse if we had hired Kenny Payne instead.
Its a hypothetical and all, but I have 0 confidence in saying Ray was a better hire than Payne would have been. The Ray years were 17ing brutal.
11 years ago, Payne was one of the darlings of UK recruiting and had connections Ray didnt even know existed. Maybe he could have pulled in a recruit or two for MSU. Hell, Colin Borchert was the 4th leading scorer for a Ray team! Borchert!
MSU finished 13th and 14th in the conference in Ray's time, and this is when only a few SEC teams were even making it to the NCAAT, so its not like the conference was incredible.
MSU never averaged more points scored per game than points against per game.

Louisville has been terrible under Payne. I just cant confidently declare that MSU results would have been worse under Payne. There wasnt much worse to get, really.

This is a hypothetical about who would win a midget fight. Regardless of side taken, the winner is still a midget.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Its a hypothetical and all, but I have 0 confidence in saying Ray was a better hire than Payne would have been. The Ray years were 17ing brutal.
11 years ago, Payne was one of the darlings of UK recruiting and had connections Ray didnt even know existed. Maybe he could have pulled in a recruit or two for MSU. Hell, Colin Borchert was the 4th leading scorer for a Ray team! Borchert!
MSU finished 13th and 14th in the conference in Ray's time, and this is when only a few SEC teams were even making it to the NCAAT, so its not like the conference was incredible.
MSU never averaged more points scored per game than points against per game.

Louisville has been terrible under Payne. I just cant confidently declare that MSU results would have been worse under Payne. There wasnt much worse to get, really.

This is a hypothetical about who would win a midget fight. Regardless of side taken, the winner is still a midget.
Pretty sure Ray never went 4-28.

Rule #1 of MSU fandom….no matter how bad it is, it can always get worse.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I doubt that happens but you know who they might go after? Chris……..Beard.
Maybe on Beard. Cronin is from Cincy and Louisville might not be a blue blood but they’re not that far off from UCLA and they probably have a better NIL situation

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Let's revisit those Net rankings in February for Southern & Arkansas State. Southern plays a lot of conference games against teams with RPIs below 300.
We can also revisit State's and Louisville's NET rankings then. When you can compare an entire season, who cares which had the worse loss?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login