Remember when we used to read/listen/talk about actual teams in the preseason?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Back in the good ole days, when it was unknown who was going to win it all?

Oh well, I'll look at the positive. At least this is the last year of this awful 4-team playoff. And maybe these bigger conferences will beat up the blue-bloods a little bit more, not to mention the TV execs will continue to push for OOC P5 games for them. Pretty confident we will eventually get 9-game conference schedules no matter how many teams are in the conference. Meanwhile, the have-nots like us hopefully continue to schedule light in order to maximize that chance of making the playoff every once in a while. And the G5 will get their shots too, and keep everybody happy.

Looking back, why did anyone ever bltch about the BCS system?????? It gave us a clear-cut national champion. Was it totally fair? No, but nothing in college ever is. And it didn't make the national title the SOLE FOCAL POINT of the entire sport like the small playoff did. Going 10-2 and winning a BCS bowl was still important. Nowadays, they sit out those games. Heck, going 6-6 and winning a Liberty Bowl was important too. People say the G5 got left out, well, I say Boise State got closer to winning a national title than Cincinnati did, if you want to get real about it. All they had to do was beat Nevada in 2011 and they'd have played LSU. And speaking of that, THAT rematch is what doomed us. Alabama/Saban, once again, ruining everything. If we had just put in a small clause in the BCS that either we couldn't have a rematch or both teams couldn't be from the same conference. It's a NATIONAL title, after all. LSU likely wins that title over Oklahoma State and we keep on rolling. And does anybody really think it was a big deal that Auburn didn't get awarded the actual trophy in 2004? They still went 13-0, who cares?

I'm pretty optimistic that the 12-teamer and the 2 super conferences brings some parity and hope back to this game, that once was pretty great. We'll never win a title, but we'll make a playoff. Now there are 12 focal points, rather than just 4. I wish there were 16, but I'll take 12.

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
I thought I didn’t like the BCS at the time, but now I wish we could go back. CFB was an overall better product at the time even though the BCS era was a tough time for MSU

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I'm not sure the 4 team playoff is gone just yet. Sankey seemed to suggest that after everyone agreed to move to 12 team playoff that conversation about stalled.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I'm not sure the 4 team playoff is gone just yet. Sankey seemed to suggest that after everyone agreed to move to 12 team playoff that conversation about stalled.
No it’s for sure gone after this year, that’s a done deal. The only thing up in the air right now is how many auto bids in the 12 team format now that the PAC-12 has collapsed.

Reactions: drumrcraig
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login