Remember when y’all didn’t want Leach and Rogers?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Told you we had it pretty good. Y’all need to take that greener grass and shove it up your John brown hind parts next time life is pretty good and y’all want perfection.
Just remember rumors are encouraged here! I'm a realist so I thought last year went pretty good. There were a couple of games where if the ball bounced the right way we could have won and ended up with a really good record.

Imagine what could have been if we had kept the offensive coaching staff.

Chunk6617

Oct 2, 2023
Still don’t. Look at what recruiting under Leach has gotten us. We look like a slow Big 10 football team on defense. The Mike Leach air raid was outdated and anemic. He refused to modernize it like other air raid coaches have done. He definitely got more out the players than the current staff is, but just because the current staff has wet the bed means we should have to settle. I don’t miss the 4 yard dump pass air raid that we ran the last 2-3 years. I miss Dan Mullen if anything.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Still don’t. Look at what recruiting under Leach has gotten us. We look like a slow Big 10 football team on defense. The Mike Leach air raid was outdated and anemic. He refused to modernize it like other air raid coaches have done. He definitely got more out the players than the current staff is, but just because the current staff has wet the bed means we should have to settle. I don’t miss the 4 yard dump pass air raid that we ran the last 2-3 years. I miss Dan Mullen if anything.
We won 9 games last year. Nine win seasons don’t grow on trees for us.

Do you miss the Dopey Dan job shopping, mailing in Egg Bowls, and his lackluster recruiting?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I wouldn’t have been screaming to get rid of our head coach and starting QB. A large chunk of this board wanted Leach gone the moment he got here. Same for Rogers.
I don’t think it was a large chunk there Crissy. After 2020, I think most people that were on the fence about Leach were concerned. 21 still a little. After 2022 I think most people were like me, happy with the direction we were going and how we used the running game a little more.

Reactions: Fang1

Chunk6617

Oct 2, 2023
We won 9 games last year. Nine win seasons don’t grow on trees for us.

Do you miss the Dopey Dan job shopping, mailing in Egg Bowls, and his lackluster recruiting?
This is the difference between much of our fan base. You have some, like yourself, who thinks winning 9 games is the pinnacle for our program. Then there are others, like me, who think 8-9 wins should be our every season goal, not just our best season goal. Our average season should be 8-4, not our best season. If our average season is 8-4, then that would mean we have the occasional 6-6 season but also the occasional 10 win season. And you also seem to forget that OUR DEFENSE was the biggest reason for our 9-4 season last year. It wasn’t because of the 4 yard air raid offense.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I probably would have kicked the tires on Neal Brown. I don’t think he will ever be a top tier coach, but would win 6-8 games every year.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t think it was a large chunk there Crissy. After 2020, I think most people that were on the fence about Leach were concerned. 21 still a little. After 2022 I think most people were like me, happy with the direction we were going and how we used the running game a little more.
I guess we can argue over the definition of “large chunk”. A large chunk of this board was too dense to realize what Leach was doing. He was trying to lay the foundation of his system in those first years. Y’all thought he wasn’t able to adapt. He was trying to get everyone on the team to understand the basic concepts before he started adding in wrinkles like running. Of course it could be that the brilliant coach needed to read this and other message boards before deciding to try and run occasionally.
Now I’ve got “paved paradise and put up a parking lot” stuck in my head.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
He's 3-5 in year 5 at Houston. 30-25 overall there. 3 out of 5 seasons have been losing record
He won 12 games two years ago. He won 10 multiple times at Meth Virginia. It is U of H’s first year in the Big 12. That is a huge achievement for a suitcase college like Houston. In case you don’t know, U of H is more of a suitcase college than Mississippi Southern If that could be imagined.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I guess we can argue over the definition of “large chunk”. A large chunk of this board was too dense to realize what Leach was doing. He was trying to lay the foundation of his system in those first years. Y’all thought he wasn’t able to adapt. He was trying to get everyone on the team to understand the basic concepts before he started adding in wrinkles like running. Of course it could be that the brilliant coach needed to read this and other message boards before deciding to try and run occasionally.
One of the things that confused people about leach (myself included) is that he was so laid back and made coaching look so easy we didn't think he was doing a good job, when he really was.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Told you we had it pretty good. Y’all need to take that greener grass and shove it up your John brown hind parts next time life is pretty good and y’all want perfection.
There were very few who didn't want Leach, he was beloved and cherished by most of the fanbase. Will on the other hand...

Reactions: thatsbaseball

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The OP was talking about you, dubmass.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m meant prior to his death. There were more “air raid won’t work” posts each week than we score points now.
The one thing the mouth breathers never realized was that Leach was working with inherited players. In each of his stops, he usually had a peak early (which we did in 2022), then he built up to another one a few years later. I would imagine he would have had a big peak with Braden Locke or Chris Parson in 2025 or 2026.

AND, he'd have won more than he lost en route to that peak.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m meant prior to his death. There were more “air raid won’t work” posts each week than we score points now.
You spend too much time on message boards. For the entire time he was here, the vast majority of fans loved and appreciated him. You get jaded by what's on the internet, that that's not real life. I'm a long-time season ticket holder and attend all the games,my oldest two are currently at State, the vast majority of friends, family and coworkers are State Alums/Fans, I don't know one person who didn't love Leach, other than message board and social media fans.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You spend too much time on message boards. For the entire time he was here, the vast majority of fans loved and appreciated him. You get jaded by what's on the internet, that that's not real life. I'm a long-time season ticket holder and attend all the games,my oldest two are currently at State, the vast majority of friends, family and coworkers are State Alums/Fans, I don't know one person who didn't love Leach, other than message board and social media fans.
Disagree with this. All you have to do was look at the crowds. Attendance was pathetic in 2021 and 2022, even compared to other stadiums (so we can't blame COVID). The only reason sales went up this year is because our fans got what they wanted - they thought they got the fiery coach back who would RuN tHe BaWl, and we had a bunch of players coming back. All I heard was criticism.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
@jethreauxdawg I can't really lie, I think my MSU football fandom died with Leach. We finally got what I'd always wanted (a 'system' offense that we could plug and play with inferior talent), and with the rules these days, you kinda have to pass. We had stacked QB and WR recruits. While some are like 'well they don't know MissSipi', they had a plan and were executing it. And they definitely knew the portal, so at minimum - they were competent. And he dies early - at a time when most coaches have a good 10-year run in them.

After all the bad decisions made in the past, we finally did some things right - got rid of Moorhead, and got a real coach. And this happens, and after it does, we double down on dumb decisions. When Arnett promptly fired the Leach guys, I was almost like, 17 it now. Now watching Keenum and Selman totally change a marketing strategy for our AD that has worked for over a decade, I don't know if I have much left.

I already legitimately don't care about the outcome of games. But I still can't seem to just release my grip. The Dead Ones have fired one shot with Tolu, and when our first ever national championship winning coach gets fired in the spring (I can't believe this is our reality), that might do the trick overall.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach would've played out soon because He didn't recruit. The fans hated the product too. I imagine Rogers is transferring after season.
Our fans can't see the big picture. Got too many experts who think they know shlt. Like you - name one time Leach has 'played out' before (because of winning).

ETA: Cohen was about the only person who would stand up to our idiot good ole boy experts and do the things that needed be done. And he got sick of the nonsense and left. No matter what we try, we have way too many people who care about their egos and their insider status rather than what is truly right for Mississippi State. The blow hard mouth breathers always seem to win at MSU.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Hope you’re right. Most “fans” I interact with are on message boards. So yes, I was referring to fans on this board. My old roommates either don’t care about sports or didn’t like the Air Raid.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Add in wrinkles like running? You mean like the other half of offensive football? Give me a damn break.
So we were supposed to wait til year 4 or 5 for a damn OC/HC to fully implement a system that included a “wrinkle” like running?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Add in wrinkles like running? You mean like the other half of offensive football? Give me a damn break.
So we were supposed to wait til year 4 or 5 for a damn OC/HC to fully implement a system that included a “wrinkle” like running?
This is the small-minded thinking that shows why you couldn’t appreciate Leach. He defined balance once as getting all the positions involved, not just riding a tailback into the ground.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Anybody that doesn't realize Leach recruited better and coached better than our current administration needs to lay down the Crack pipe. Also if you pull your head our your behind you can see that Will can put the ball down the field on target no problem. There are plenty of examples of that. The facts are we **** the bed with these hires from top to bottom. We are irrelevant now and on a death spiral. I agree with Goat 100%

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This is the small-minded thinking that shows why you couldn’t appreciate Leach. He defined balance once as getting all the positions involved, not just riding a tailback into the ground.
You mean like we did Woody instead of playing our other 4 running backs ? Why do they not play Lee more ? Why waste a scholarship on a guy if you won't play him ? Coulda signed a DL instead

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yes Let's look:

2020- 8 four star players.

2021- 7 Four star guys. Then there are the ones that contribute Like Price, RaRa(the one he coached to a 4 star). In the Portal- Charlton, Polk, Calvin and Green... Just horrible!

2022- 10 Four Stars. 6 of those from the Portal.

2023- 9 four stars.

I'm not even counting the high 3 stars that did well enough to win 9 last season.

It's a lie that we are where we are because of recruiting. It's coaching.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login