Rick Cleveland wanted Swat to be 1st team All-SEC

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
From his blog:
<font color="#FF0000" size="2">Here's my annual beef with the coaches' All-SEC team. If you want dazzling offense, lots of scoring and assists, you'll find plenty of it.</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000" size="2">If you're looking for defense and rebounding, the best in the league didn't make the first or second team. How can you have a 10-man All-SEC first team and not put Jarvis Varnardo, the nation's leading shot blocker, on it?</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000" size="2">Coaches preach and preach that defense and rebounding wins games and then they leave a guy like Varnado out of the top 18 players.</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000" size="2">Yes, they picked him as the defensive player of the year, but that just further proves my point. The best defensive player in the league, perhaps the nation, should be on the All-SEC first team -- especially one picked by the coaches.</font></p>
Edited subject title for clarification.

Bigohh

Feb 23, 2008
I haven't looked at the article yet. How did he work the Mannings into it?

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
Especially on the 9 man All-SEC team. Varnado was definitely one of the top 5 difference makers in the SEC. There is no denying how much he influenced the gameplan of our opponents. I don't know how many times this season players would drive into the lane and either get their shot blocked or throw up a crazy shot because they thought Jarvis was going to swat it. Also, some teams seemed to get so preoccupied with trying to foul Varnado out that they abandoned their regular offense.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
I'd love to hear what the coaches say about this:

<font><font color="#FF0000" size="2">Yes, they picked him as the defensive player of the year, but that just further proves my point. The best defensive player in the league, perhaps the nation, should be on the All-SEC first team -- especially one picked by the coaches.</font></font>

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
I completely agree with Rick Cleveland. He's absolutely right. It's a joke that Varnado is not on the 1st team. He has an excellent chance of breaking the single-season SEC shot block record, held by some guy named Shaquille.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login