Rick Stansbury

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I just saw a notification that Stans was fired today. I don't want him as a coach but would love for him to come back in some sort of analyst/ recruiter/ administrative type roll. I mean his son played for the school that fired him so I assume he doesn't hate State. Not sure if there's even a way to do that in basketball.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I believe Stansbury still has value as an assistant. His head coaching days are probably behind him now unless it’s a small school in a one bid league. He was Texas A&M’s top assistant for two years after we fired him and they had great success those years. Went to the Sweet 16 one of those years I think.

Reactions: AstroDog and engie

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
I just saw a notification that Stans was fired today. I don't want him as a coach but would love for him to come back in some sort of analyst/ recruiter/ administrative type roll. I mean his son played for the school that fired him so I assume he doesn't hate State. Not sure if there's even a way to do that in basketball.
Why would he do that?

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008

Article said that he resigned.....but I guess some on here would rather say fired than resigned.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
Puzzled why someone would think that would be attractive to him.
Other than little Stan’s playing on the team, the Stansbury’s still have a lot of ties to Starkville and are in town regularly. I’ve been told they really still enjoy being there. I’m not saying Stan’s should or would come back as an assistant but it might not be that big of a stretch.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Article said that he resigned.....but I guess some on here would rather say fired than resigned.
The notification I saw said "let go". I assumed fired. My bad for assuming.

As for some of the other comments, I specifically said I don't want him as a coach. But, if he loves State/Starkville as much as some say, I think he could be useful in an off court position.
He should be financially at a point he can do something less stressful in a place he wants to be and earn some "retirement" cash while at it.

Reactions: msstatelp1

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
The program hit rock-bottom in large measure due to forces beyond Stans' control. Besides, rock bottom would be defined by Rick Ray; we were a long way from rock bottom when Stans was forced out.
do you actually think Rick Ray was our first choice or is it more likely that he was the guy that said yes because everyone else turned us down?

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
The notification I saw said "let go". I assumed fired. My bad for assuming.

As for some of the other comments, I specifically said I don't want him as a coach. But, if he loves State/Starkville as much as some say, I think he could be useful in an off court position.
He should be financially at a point he can do something less stressful in a place he wants to be and earn some "retirement" cash while at it.
It is not happening.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Put him on radio with Richard Williams and let him just give the refs hell all night

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

was21

May 29, 2007
Other than little Stan’s playing on the team, the Stansbury’s still have a lot of ties to Starkville and are in town regularly. I’ve been told they really still enjoy being there. I’m not saying Stan’s should or would come back as an assistant but it might not be that big of a stretch.
Possible that they come back to Starkville because they have a son going to schoo there and Meo is a native Starkvillian. He may still own property there.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't think he is looking yet, but there are parts of a program that have nothing to do with coaching that can be important for success with someone with his overall experience in those spots.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Possible that they come back to Starkville because they have a son going to schoo there and Meo is a native Starkvillian. He may still own property there.
He did own a big piece of property out 82 towards Mathiston.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Puzzled why someone would think that would be attractive to him.
He's 63 years old and looking at starting over again as a head coach if he chooses to go that route. His wife is a Starkville native, he spent 23 years of his life here, and his son plays on the basketball team. I can easily see how retiring here with an analyst or commentator role might be very attractive to him.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
He owns the property and campgrounds around Okttibeha Lake. And he was one of the founders of a bank in Starkville also. Love Stansbury.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
He's 63 years old and looking at starting over again as a head coach if he chooses to go that route. His wife is a Starkville native, he spent 23 years of his life here, and his son plays on the basketball team. I can easily see how retiring here with an analyst or commentator role might be very attractive to him.
DEAR GOD NO on the commentator part. I love listening to Richard Williams and don't want to hear Stans say "freshmens" and "that ball" 100 times a broadcast. Stans will always be a Dawg to me, so in any other role beside radio or head basketball coach.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Must not care that there is no target.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Stans was an employee, which is why MSU fired him(Im sorry, I meant 'retired').
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
He loves State. He’s always tweeting when we win games.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
DEAR GOD NO on the commentator part. I love listening to Richard Williams and don't want to hear Stans say "freshmens" and "that ball" 100 times a broadcast. Stans will always be a Dawg to me, so in any other role beside radio or head basketball coach.

If he was calling games on the radio his voice would be shot before conference play started.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login