RIP Gary Hooker

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I used to love to watch him play as a teenager. Dad and I had season tickets right behind Bailey Howell. My favorite MSU basketball times.

Reactions: knock him out john

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I can still remember Hank Flick (RIP) in his usual style "Ge-reee Hooooooker" after a made shot

Reactions: tbaydog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I remember because it's when I first started paying attention to Mississippi State basketball. At least I can remember sitting in my room, listening to games over the radio.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
They played in front of some rocking crowds back in the day. Sigh, the good ole days.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Ray White-Hooker-Peck-Ricky Brown Al Perry----we got Hooker because of Al Perry--both from NYC.. Also had Greg Grimm.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Ray White-Hooker-Peck-Ricky Brown Al Perry----we got Hooker because of Al Perry--both from NYC.. Also had Greg Grimm.
I met Greg Grimm in the east side Club level last year at a game.
Forgot where he said he lived but got back to one or two football games a year.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I can still remember Hank Flick (RIP) in his usual style "Ge-reee Hooooooker" after a made shot
The golden years when I never missed a home basketball game. What fun it was back then. The NCAA snubbed us and we played Alcorn State in the NIT.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The golden years when I never missed a home basketball game. What fun it was back then. The NCAA snubbed us and we played Alcorn State in the NIT.
and the Braves and Coach Dave Whitney kicked our azzes. Yes young readers, Alcorn punked us in our own building

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
and the Braves and Coach Dave Whitney kicked our azzes. Yes young readers, Alcorn punked us in our own building
We were up by 18 points and an angry Braves fan threw a whiskey bottle from the upper deck onto the floor of the Hump. It would have killed someone if it hit them. It was all down hill for us after that. I was at the game.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

It's worth mentioning that Alcorn came into that game 27-0 and had a guy named Larry Smith who was averaging 14 rebounds a game. He would have a long NBA career. They lost by 4 at Indiana the next game.

Different level of SWAC talent then.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We were up by 18 points and an angry Braves fan threw a whiskey bottle from the upper deck onto the floor of the Hump. It would have killed someone if it hit them. It was all down hill for us after that. I was at the game.
I remember listening to Jack on the radio in South Mississippi and being shocked
It's worth mentioning that Alcorn came into that game 27-0 and had a guy named Larry Smith who was averaging 14 rebounds a game. He would have a long NBA career. They lost by 4 at Indiana the next game.

Different level of SWAC talent then.
Oh for sure. Those were the days (45 years ago) that most of those guys didn't have opportunities to go to any school but a HBCU but were legit big school athletes. I was a naive 18 year old that had heard about racism my whole life in S MS but had no clue what it really meant. Whitney was a classic of a coach that I never have heard anybody say anything negative about

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
One of my favorite Bulldog basketball players!
I played pickup games in McCarthy Gym with Gary, Ray White, Al Perry, John Adams, Wiley Peck, etc. Ray was usually stoned when he played. Gary Hooker could stop a 2 on 1 fastbreak better than anyone I've ever played with. His damn arms were so long he could cover 2 passing lanes completely. Impossible to get by him. One day Wiley Peck asked me to play one-on-one with him. I reluctantly agreed. However, I did pretty well vs the big boy. If he backed me down near the basket there was almost no way to stop him from scoring. On the other hand, I had success shooting outside on him. He wouldn't want to come out from under the basket and if he did, I could slash around him and to the basket. I was a pretty good shooter back in the day. BTW.....there were no 3 pt. arcs or shots back then, but some of the shots I took would have been 3 pointers. Saddened me when McCarthy was torn down. Lot of memories in that place.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I played pickup games in McCarthy Gym with Gary, Ray White, Al Perry, John Adams, Wiley Peck, etc. Ray was usually stoned when he played. Gary Hooker could stop a 2 on 1 fastbreak better than anyone I've ever played with. His damn arms were so long he could cover 2 passing lanes completely. Impossible to get by him. One day Wiley Peck asked me to play one-on-one with him. I reluctantly agreed. However, I did pretty well vs the big boy. If he backed me down near the basket there was almost no way to stop him from scoring. On the other hand, I had success shooting outside on him. He wouldn't want to come out from under the basket and if he did, I could slash around him and to the basket. I was a pretty good shooter back in the day. BTW.....there were no 3 pt. arcs or shots back then, but some of the shots I took would have been 3 pointers. Saddened me when McCarthy was torn down. Lot of memories in that place.
Ray White sticks in my mind as one of the “smoothest” players/shooters I’ve watched play, and now I know the rest of the story.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
The WHO DAT game--who dat talking bout beating them Braves.. I think it was a wine bottle. Hatfield took us from "the penthouse to the outhouse" he also screwed up Grimms last year of eligibility.

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
We seem to have gotten a lot of guys out of NYC back in those days. Remember “Shu”?
Tom Shuberth. For some reason with that with that mop head he was my favorite basketball player. I don’t know why. He played hard I guess he was just looking him up so he played at UNLV for two years and then came to State.

Reactions: Dawg84

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Tom Shuberth. For some reason with that with that mop head he was my favorite basketball player. I don’t know why. He played hard I guess he was just looking him up so he played at UNLV for two years and then came to State.
He was the point guard in the WHO DAT game which was the year after Perry finished school. Peck & White were seniors on that team. Schuberth starting getting cramps in the 2nd half & we could not beat their full court press with him out of the game.

Reactions: Dawg84
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login