RIP, Toby Keith…

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Our politics didn't align but that's ok. He was a talented songwriter as well as performer - some of my favorties are "Should've been a Cowboy", "I love this Bar", and "Not As Good as I Once Was". RIP.

Also, 17 cancer.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I saw a picture of him a few weeks and was almost unrecognizable. Cancer sucks.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Our politics didn't align but that's ok. He was a talented songwriter as well as performer - some of my favorties are "Should've been a Cowboy", "I love this Bar", and "Not As Good as I Once Was". RIP.

Also, 17 cancer.
Agreed on all counts.

He reminded me a lot of folks I know and knew from Jasper, Jones, & Wayne counties who earned a good deal of money in oil & gas in the late 70s and early 80s so, yeah, I understood his perspective.

He was the first country singer close to my age I could relate to pretty well.

Reactions: dorndawg

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Man, I hate to hear it. He played 3 sold out shows in Las Vegas in December. He was a true American patriot and loved his country. He was THE biggest country star of the late 90's and early 2000's. Glad I got to see him in concert. He was big friends with both Kid Rock and Willie Nelson. His story about the first time he went on Willie's bus is hilarious. Here's a little known song but one of my favorites. It's hilarious.

How many of you have had that buddy that you had to "run block" for?

"I'm trying to drink her skinny but she's still about 215, sometimes you've got to bow up and just take one for the team"

Last edited:

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012

Also, 17 cancer.
What do you mean your politics didn't align? He helped veterans and loved his country. So your beliefs don't align with that?

the_marshall

Jan 31, 2019
I really hate this. Good dude, great songs, proud American. Cancer does suck. I was under the impression that he was getting better as he was making more public appearances. Alas, not the case, I hate this for his family, friends, and fans..

I raise my Red Solo Cup to you today Toby!

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
This one surprised me a bit. Didn't even know Toby was sick. My top and best friend dog got stomach cancer and went from a 90 lb. big pup to a 60 something lb. doggy within about a month. Stomach cancer ate him up and he too was almost unrecognizable at the end. Hardest thing I've ever had to do was to tell the doc to euthanize him. He hadn't eaten at all in 5 days and was suffering. He loved to eat and could not keep it down. It was so sad and I still have a hole in my heart as you would if you lost your own child.

1707230229941.jpeg

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I thought they was announcing his birthday this morning at 62, then hear later he has passed. You look at your 55 years and then go, “Man life comes at you fast!” when you hear news like that. An American Patriot and a great musician/singer. TK will be missed.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yet you're the one that brought up political beliefs in the thread about someone that passed away. I mean why even type what you did unless you want to make this about yourself
Bud, others brought up controversial social incidents involving Keith before dorndawg even posted.
A significant part of Keith's popularity and recognition over the last 20 years was based largely on the controversy of a couple of his songs and his very public feuding.
To not mention it(and again, it was mentioned before dorn did) would be to ignore an elephant in the room.

Dude had some catchy songs for sure and it sucks he is gone. Not saying he pioneered the whole 'high school football and trucks' trope in Country Music over the last quarter century, but for sure at least helped propel it forward. Innovator?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bud, others brought up controversial social incidents involving Keith before dorndawg even posted.
A significant part of Keith's popularity and recognition over the last 20 years was based largely on the controversy of a couple of his songs and his very public feuding.
To not mention it(and again, it was mentioned before dorn did) would be to ignore an elephant in the room.

Dude had some catchy songs for sure and it sucks he is gone. Not saying he pioneered the whole 'high school football and trucks' trope in Country Music over the last quarter century, but for sure at least helped propel it forward. Innovator?
Definitely the Top Dog of the 2000s and had one of the strongest songs of the 90s.

He’s a man of our times (at least for many of us who are at least 50 years old)

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Toby Keith was not a George Strait George Jones level character but he was very important and country music and songwriting. I don't think he gets quite enough recognition for the depth and breadth of songwriting that he made. Just like, he you believed what he believed. His dad was World War II veteran.

I really going to miss his baritone voice. Actually, one of my favorite songs was the song he made with Sting, "I'm So Happy Now (I Can't Stop Crying). There's so many that I can't choose them all.

Why can't you put politics aside just talk about what the man was able write and sing. If you bring it up at all, it shows how disingenuous, self-absorbed you are.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Let's not pretend here that Toby Keith was not overtly, publicly political in a way that many musicians simply are not. It was a big part of his celebrity.

That's ok. He stood on it. Most folks shrug and tap their feet to his songs.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Against the grain. My admiration for him took off when he had to startup his own record label.
Dave Chappelle has said many times-“The more someone says I can’t say something, the more prescient it is for me to say it.”

Toby walked that walk in the music industry the way Chappelle is doing it now. They both know that once artistic expression is censored, it’s the beginning of the end.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
why do politics have to be brought into everything today? The dude passed away. Celebrate his life for the good he did. Who cares which way he leaned politically?
He was highly political and a large part of his celebrity this century is due to his political outspokenness and feuding with another singer/group that disagreed with him.

Its insane that people are complaining about his politics being brought up in a thread about his recent passing and where people remember his life. This is especially true since he embraced it all.

And to be very clear, I dont care that he was political and have not posted about it in a way to slight him or his memory. Its just recognizing who he was and how he was so well known.
What will really blow some minds is that he identified as a Democrat and said he didnt support the Iraq War. A perfect example that people are often conflicted and not binary with all their comments or views.

I would have really enjoyed talking with him at a party. Like sit down in the living room and talk while everyone is doing their stuff around us. I bet he would have been super cool to get to know.

How Do You Like Me Now- came out when I was 18/19 and I 17ing loved that cheerleader - both versions of her. Damn catchy song too!
As Good as I Once Was- ha, came out when I was probably 24 or 25 and still living the life of a weekend hero athlete. Loved that song, even though I didnt think I identified with it yet. It was Toby's 'Glory Days' in my mind, and those songs are always a good listen.
Red Solo Cup- perhaps the dumbest song from that year, and that included LMFAO's Sexy and I Know It as well as Party Rock. But 17 if it didnt grow on me and the drunken happiness it brings to groups now makes me chuckle and appreciate it. His baritone voice is perfect for the song too.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I was no fan of his music, but he did help veteran organizations for that I say bravo. When we can not just say rest in peace instead of making something political I think we have all lost. Just one Devil's opinion can we all just agree stomach cancer sucks and his death is sad. Why worry about anything else?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Let's not pretend here that Toby Keith was not overtly, publicly political in a way that many musicians simply are not. It was a big part of his celebrity.

That's ok. He stood on it. Most folks shrug and tap their feet to his songs.
Most musicians are, indeed, overtly political. Actors/actresses too, for that matter. What made Keith unique is that his viewpoints stood in stark contrast from the mainstream in his profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login