RIP Willie Mays

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I don't remember Willie Mays playing because I started keeping up with MLB a couple of years after he retired, but my elders that loved MLB spoke of him with almost a reverence. 24 time All-Star, 12 Gold Gloves, 2 MVPs, & 660 home runs in an era when it meant something to have 600 plus career home runs. Willie Mays may be the most complete baseball player in history - a true 5 tool player. Willie Mays was the player that my generation thought Eric Davis could become before the injuries.

RIP Say Hey Willie

Last edited:

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
And just before the MLB game at Rickwood field to honor him. Such a shame he couldn't see that.

Also 17 the Cardinals. Go Giants.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
played for the B'ham Black Barons at 16.. would have many more homers except he played at Candlestick--where it was always cold and the wind blew in.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You saw him play?!

RIP Mr. Mays AKA Say Hey Kid
LOL, I wish. Back the 60's sports on TV were coming into their own but the offerings were very limited compared to now . When a MLB game was on featuring Mantle, Mays etc it was must watch TV back then.. I still feel fortunate to have seen him play live and in his prime even if it was just TV.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
LOL, I wish. Back the 60's sports on TV were coming into their own but the offerings were very limited compared to now . When a MLB game was on featuring Mantle, Mays etc it was must watch TV back then.. I still feel fortunate to have seen him play live and in his prime even if it was just TV.
Brings to mind the question, how far back can folks go to their first memory of watching MLB live?

We moved to St Paul for a couple years when I was 8 and remember going to the Met a few times. Saw Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva and Rod Carew. Swear I remember Tony O throw a ball from the warning track to home plate. I know my first time in an MLB park made quite the impression.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Brings to mind the question, how far back can folks go to their first memory of watching MLB live?

We moved to St Paul for a couple years when I was 8 and remember going to the Met a few times. Saw Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva and Rod Carew. Swear I remember Tony O throw a ball from the warning track to home plate. I know my first time in an MLB park made quite the impression.
my dad took us on a family vacation to Astro World in Houston to watch the Astros play the Reds. i was 8 or 9. my favorite team was the Reds and my all time favorite player was Johnny Bench. couldn't tell you much about the game but after the game they had a high wire artist who walked the length of the Astrodome and i screamed and cried the whole time. surprised i didn't make him fall off.
does any one remember the old Monday Night Baseball games they had in the early 70's?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
There are very few people who ever lived who have a legitimate spot in the conversation about who is the best to ever play a particular sport.

Willie is unquestionably in that group in the baseball discussion.

He did this 70 years ago and later said it wasn't his best, but it was up there considering the situation...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login