Rogers turned chicken **** into lemonade

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
As someone that will gladly dump on a piss poor QB performance, this one is on coaches. He made the most out of the play calling. And dont get it twisted, he noodled some passes in the 1st quarter that kept this game close.
The tempo of our offense was bad. Everything felt disjointed. Short yardage plays were predictable. Mike Wright was poorly used. Creed? Tons of questions to be answered.
the one thing that I will criticize Will for is his uncanny ability to get sacked on 3rd down. Get rid of the damn ball, bro.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
If Arnett is not having some colorful discussions with the part of his coaching staff we been told all off-season molds his offense around his players, I’ll be very disappointed. Because molding an offense around the players he has is the furthest thing from what happened last night.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If Arnett is not having some colorful discussions with the part of his coaching staff we been told all off-season molds his offense around his players, I’ll be very disappointed. Because molding an offense around the players he has is the furthest thing from what happened last night.
There was a time in the 4th, maybe after the 3 runs and FG, where Arnett straight turned his back on Barbay and walked away. Body language looked as if he didn’t want to hear his excuse for dumb play calling. Barbay just stood around for a minute like a lost puppy

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
There was a time in the 4th, maybe after the 3 runs and FG, where Arnett straight turned his back on Barbay and walked away. Body language looked as if he didn’t want to hear his excuse for dumb play calling. Barbay just stood around for a minute like a lost puppy
But did Arnett hug anyone?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
As someone that will gladly dump on a piss poor QB performance, this one is on coaches. He made the most out of the play calling. And dont get it twisted, he noodled some passes in the 1st quarter that kept this game close.
The tempo of our offense was bad. Everything felt disjointed. Short yardage plays were predictable. Mike Wright was poorly used. Creed? Tons of questions to be answered.
the one thing that I will criticize Will for is his uncanny ability to get sacked on 3rd down. Get rid of the damn ball, bro.
Did #3 get 10 inches shorter and slower all of a sudden. We absolutely refused to go his way when he was one on one, which was about 70% of snaps yesterday.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Barbay doesn't trust Rogers and is coaching him that way.
Rogers knows Barbay doesn't trust him and is playing that way.
Will is obviously not the most talented/gifted QB physically and needs to play over his head for us to win and Leach understood this and coached him that way.
Barbay is not that sharp and doesn't know WTF he's doing.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This. Offensive play calling was offensive. Got too comfortable running because we could run gashing up the middle in first wuartee we. Will didn't help because his sacks or poor throws in first quarter stopped drives. But Barbay coached a bad game. The subs made no sense last night in the way will and wright were used. If he is goi g to have will In the game they need to be running a modified air raid. If weight is in the game leave him in more than two downs or just to hand off. Hands off for 4 then yanked on 3 and 1. Gee I wonder who is getting the ball. You have to let wright throw it some too to keep e people honest. I e only had like 270 total yards or something in mid 4th that's bad.

they need to get better on figuring out the personnel and finding an identity. I know Barbay said he would play to our strengths and do what the defense gives you. He did last night but didn't adjust when they started stuffing it more and it became more predictable i was worried when he said we would play to the defense . That's good I some cases but we need to play to who we are. Hopefully they see that better. We need more balance.my posts about the qb are taking sacks on third down. No escaping or creating a plays. I have watched it 4 seasons now where the other bs ability to scramble have killed our defense. Yes selaura's mistakes were bad but not every dual qb will do that. Will played fine last night outside of early miscues that killed drives or taking sacks. Barbay has to mix it up a little more but if will makes some earlier throws he might have. That's still on Barbay. Like I said in another post. I think what most fans wanted was a Riley style offense adapted of air raid with more running to where it wa about 60-40 or 5050 split. Anytime it's 7030 run or 7030 pass you aren't gonna do much. Leach is gone and true air raid isn't coming back. Will fit that offsense but I think it would run a lot better with a dynamic qb that if the pocket collapses he can make things happen. Only thing i would grade as an A last night on offense was running backs. I would give will a B mainly for taking the sacks.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We were getting the hall to tulu just not enough. Marks is a beast but had way too many touches last night. Need to be more balanced and dynamic in play calling and mix it up.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I want to believe we played very vanilla these first two games. We were gashing them in the first Qtr up the middle. There was no reason to do anything else at that point. AZ adjusted and we opened it up a little more by trying to get to the edge. Rogers had a very nice pass on the 2nd TD.

2nd half, they sold out on defense to stop the run and we couldn't pass that well. But what was head scratching is not getting the ball to Tulu more often. Jet sweeps, screens anything.

However that was a helluva play call to get the TD in OT. Hopefully we see more of that next week and more Tulu.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Barbay doesn't trust Rogers and is coaching him that way.
Rogers knows Barbay doesn't trust him and is playing that way.
Will is obviously not the most talented/gifted QB physically and needs to play over his head for us to win and Leach understood this and coached him that way.
Barbay is not that sharp and doesn't know WTF he's doing.
Have to blame Arnett too, he made this choice

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
What if our coaches are just looking bland to set up our REAL offense for LSU? Wright hands it off every time? Gotta be setting up for the long haul. Either that or Barbay was drunk.

Reactions: Maroon13

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm big fan of running something till they stop it then doing something else. Last night it just seemed that we did neither. When we WERE gashing them running every play we kept stopping drives by trying to pass and not executing. We should have buried them in the first half running the ball. After they figured out the run, we kept trying to run it. The whole thing just looked disjointed.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm big fan of running something till they stop it then doing something else. Last night it just seemed that we did neither. When we WERE gashing them running every play we kept stopping drives by trying to pass and not executing. We should have buried them in the first half running the ball. After they figured out the run, we kept trying to run it. The whole thing just looked disjointed.
That's what I saw also. We didn't finish drives. They adjusted we didn't. Turning point of of the game. We get called for a crappy holding call on a run and don't go up 21-0 we get sacked and then miss the kick. They proceed to make a circus throw and end up being 14-7 at half. After that Barbay went straight in always run rarely pass the whole third quarter outside of the touchdown drive. There were other times in the 1st we had the same thing happen where poor sub decisions with the qbs led to not converting on 3rd down or 4th down. We didn't punt for a long time in the game.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Take some advice from a Tennessee fan… get rid of friend as quick as possible because at the end of the day the guy isn’t your friend. Ask Jeremy Pruitt.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The time to have in depth discussions would be before he hired them.
Stfu. You don’t think he did that?
It’s game 17ing 2.
Hiring people is hard in any profession.
Really 17ing hard when you are hiring someone who depends on 18 to 20 year old kids.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Stfu. You don’t think he did that?
It’s game 17ing 2.
Hiring people is hard in any profession.
Really 17ing hard when you are hiring someone who depends on 18 to 20 year old kids.
It’s not the kids it’s the system, which was hot garbage. That’s coaching, and coaching hires.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I think it’s pretty embarrassing that our quarterback who is sixth in SEC history with over 11,000 career passing yards has to go up to the offensive coordinator in the fourth quarter and say “Pretty please, can I throw a pass?”

Reactions: Ibdancin

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Rogers is a good Air Raid QB. He has a several records for a reason. He's not great, his movement is nothing special and he's not a runner (although he had a good run late). But he's accurate. Just throw in a few more passing plays that suit his strengths. That really shouldn't be hard to do if you're an OC. Are you telling me in that bag of tricks an OC has there are no quick slants and other passing plays that don't require him to stay too long in the pocket? He's the best QB on the roster and he's a 4-year starter. Play to his strengths more while also running the ball more than Leach did. He shouldn't enter the 4th quarter with only 13 passes unless we're just running over them. This is not the time to stick to a system because you think the system works. Rogers is likely the best QB Barbay has ever worked with as an OC in college. Understand his limitations but let him utilize his strengths. He's won a lot of games for us and won most of the games at QB State was supposed to win.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I think it’s pretty embarrassing that our quarterback who is sixth in SEC history with over 11,000 career passing yards has to go up to the offensive coordinator in the fourth quarter and say “Pretty please, can I throw a pass?”
Rogers needs to look at the field and change the play. Barbay needs to understand what he has on the field, Rogers knows what he has on the field and understands what to check to.
Has anyone seen Rogers make a change at the line? I haven't, or can't remember him doing it through 2 games.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
We need to play up tempo. WR seems to play better when he doesn't have time to over think the situation.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Yeah... It's pretty pathetic that with the game on the line the OC refuses to pass. That's a scary sign!

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Rogers needs to look at the field and change the play. Barbay needs to understand what he has on the field, Rogers knows what he has on the field and understands what to check to.
Has anyone seen Rogers make a change at the line? I haven't, or can't remember him doing it through 2 games.
Because he isn't allowed to? That's the only explanation considering he has always been able to.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login