Ron Polk Blames The Season Woes On Scholarship Limitations

ExtremeDog

Apr 8, 2003
From today's Clarion Ledger:

"When we started the season, I said we're young and inexperienced with our skill players, but that our pitching ought to be our thing," Polk said. "But at 11.7 scholarships, we're at the mercy of injuries."

I don't see Ole Miss or USM making these excuses. Please make this the last year of the Ron Polk era.

G

Goat Holder

if they are there, which many doubt, and deal with it. It's 17-ing reality, Polk. You ain't changing ****. Man up and do what you gotta do.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
pathetic.

If he is admitting he can't compete under the same rules as everyone else then he needs to step down. Yesterday!

G

Goat Holder

for years now. He plays on the same field as everyone else. Maybe he should look into what is causing those injuries.

He has no excuse. His time is done.

Feb 24, 2008
State has had only one projected starter go down. Pigott will be back, and Weatherford was never starting in the rotation. He has to let this go as some point. He has been fighting this for years with no results. Fact is, everyone is playing by the same rules.

And for the response about Ole Miss and USM not losing three starters....Ole Miss has enough depth on the mound that they could at least get by, and I assure you Bianco wouldn't cry about it constantly. As for USM, is that now what you want to compare the State program too? A CUSA team that is a perrenial two and done team when they get in the NCAA's? Seriously....that is a lame comparison. I don't care if State has 11.7 and USM has 16 schollies. State should still have better players across the board. 20% @ State is better than 60% @ USM everyday.

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
Tuesday ( see what happened there). But that was just to see if he could go ( he couldnt). Weatherford is a knock down closer who we miss sorely. So yeah, three.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
cowbell9 said:
Weatherford is a knock down closer who we miss sorely.

</p>How many opportunities would our clsoer have had had he not been injured? I would think starting pitching would be a bigger problem than closing out games.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
compared to our starting pitching getting shelled and it never being up to the closer? I'm not saying the absence of Weatherford isn't hurting. It's obvious it is. What I'm saying is our starting pitching has been much more of a problem.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
if we arent icing our pitchers arms after they pitch, all of them need to be fired. The stress that pitching puts on your arm has to be treated with ice.

You dont get a pass for injuries when you are causing them.

Jan 13, 2008
I can assure you they are icing. The thing I notice is we have midweek guys as our starters now. Pigott used to be a reliever. Crosswhite the same. Bowen the same. Weatherford throws mid-90s, so I can understand some inflsmation at times. Its different throwing 90-100 pitches per outing compared to 30 or so. Its a thought. I know its their second year of starting (pigott and chad) but it might now be taking a tole on them. Plus, when you are 5-9(pigott) it puts a lit if stress on your arm because you don't have as much leverage.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
ExtremeDog said:
From today's Clarion Ledger:

"When we started the season, I said we're young and inexperienced with our skill players, but that our pitching ought to be our thing," Polk said. "But at 11.7 scholarships, we're at the mercy of injuries."

I don't see Ole Miss or USM making these excuses. Please make this the last year of the Ron Polk era.

</p> The only way this would be a legit excuse is if everyone else had more scholarships to give, and that's not the case. And for the HOPE scholarship people, well then Polk needs to get more creative.

Also, **** I'm tired of all the excuses. It's always someone else's fault. At least Croom will take some blame from time to time when things don't go right.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Just fire McNichol and whomever is the strenght and conditioning coach for baseball !!! They are both pitifiul !!!

patdog

May 28, 2007
Coach34 said:
if we arent icing our pitchers arms after they pitch, all of them need to be fired. The stress that pitching puts on your arm has to be treated with ice.

You dont get a pass for injuries when you are causing them.

I agree. Not icing a pitcher's arm after he pitches is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of a pitching coach doing.</p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
they had to ice and run for 12 mintues to make sure the blood was flowing...if we had a lifting day the day after, that pitcher's weight and reps were amended..and the work with the bands was done the day after, not the same night

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
That's a good point. It seems like every year you're having one or more of your better pitchers miss time with injuries. There has to be something they are doing wrong in the way they handle the pitchers. I just can't imagine someone's luck being that bad. Even as an Ole Miss fan and knowing the curse of Mississippi teams first hand, I think there has to be more to it.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
to assure us than just saying "I assure you" b/c this soxdawg guy is bringing the thunder and someone needs to provide significant evidence if we are icing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login