Rosebowl’s History

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I am newer to sixpack. What is the history of his nickname? I wasn’t a fan before I started coming to this site, but I was glad to know I wasn’t alone in not being a fan.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
He predicted the 2001 MSU team, which finished 3-8, to go to the Rosebowl and play for the national championship.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
It was bad. We were not that bad defensively which shocked me. All I am remembering is Khalil Nash and Snyder and our defense being bad.

It was the offense that was the issue.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
It was bad. We were not that bad defensively which shocked me. All I am remembering is Khalil Nash and Snyder and our defense being bad.

And don't forget Michael Oyefesobi. Actually, do forget him.

Reactions: Drebin

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
2001 was weird. We had some JUCO busts, some notable injuries, and lost a bunch of close games. Everyone remembers us getting murdered by Florida and LSU and the infamous tornado game against Troy State. But I think we had like five losses by a touchdown or less. 3-8 team that was some good bounces away from being 7-4 or 8-3. And beat a good OM team in the Egg Bowl.

That was the spin at that time at least, that one year was just some bad luck and we’d bounce back. And then 2002 and 2003 happened…

Reactions: MaroonSadness99
Aug 15, 2011
The 01 team was the mirror image of the 99 squad when it came to luck. We lost a lot of close games that year: USC, Auburn, BYU, Arkansas, Troy, and Alabama. State should've finished at least 6-5/7-4 that season.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I am newer to sixpack. What is the history of his nickname? I wasn’t a fan before I started coming to this site, but I was glad to know I wasn’t alone in not being a fan.
What is is that you don't like about him?

17thebears

Dec 6, 2010
Buddy got his feelings hurt after people called him out for not having a clue. He made a long post wherein he threatened to ban anyone for "disrespecting" and dared anyone to downvote the post. Crybaby -- well, that's one word for it.

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Buddy got his feelings hurt after people called him out for not having a clue. He made a long post wherein he threatened to ban anyone for "disrespecting" and dared anyone to downvote the post. Crybaby -- well, that's one word for it.
I won't give him a nickel. Come to think of it.....I never gave the clown a nickel.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Wasn’t that the year we had about 5 transfers from Western Arizona CC or something like that?
yep. A couple of defensive linemen for sure. We needed them to step up and they did the opposite of that.

The thing about that year....we went 3-8 but we had some excruciatingly close losses....South Carolina by 2, Auburn by 2, Arkansas by 3, BYU by 3, and Alabama by 7. Of course we also got destroyed 52-0 by Florida (worst football road trip of my life), and killed by LSU 42-0. And let's not forget the home loss to Troy.

I think we had bad luck early, some locker room issues, and then things really snowballed.

Reactions: ntzdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I, for one, am waiting for the inevitable RoseBowl to Gene to RoseBowl gif from Lettuce.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
We had the #1 backfield in America according to Lee Corso and I agreed.

Going into that season, Madkin, Dicenzo and Dontae was a very strong backfield.
That was the fat Dontae year. I dressed as a Twinkie for the Halloween game vs Tenn. put #3 on my costume. Dontae wasn’t happy about it. He saw me and got pissed. I loved it.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
That was the fat Dontae year. I dressed as a Twinkie for the Halloween game vs Tenn. put #3 on my costume. Dontae wasn’t happy about it. He saw me and got pissed. I loved it.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I guess he was more of a ding dong guy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

???? That defense was beyond terrible. JUCO busts and a whole DL from AZ JUCO.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The team was on the cover of SI preseason, and the issue included an article on our marine corps style training program. I think we could have successfully invaded a small island, but football was another issue.

I was excited about that season. Our offense had been third in the SEC in 2000, and we returned 9 starters. Moving Griffith to FB seemed like it should work (he played FB in the NFL for 7 or 8 years). All we needed was for JLD to work his defensive magic.

I was in Vegas that Summer and placed a bet on State to win the Rose Bowl at 60 to 1. I didn't really think we would win, I was just happy there were odds on us instead of having to bet "Field"

Reactions: ntzdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Not to mention they had several "big" recruits.

ETA - not a Georgia or Alabama class of course

ntzdog

Aug 6, 2009
The team was on the cover of SI preseason, and the issue included an article on our marine corps style training program. I think we could have successfully invaded a small island, but football was another issue.

I was excited about that season. Our offense had been third in the SEC in 2000, and we returned 9 starters. Moving Griffith to FB seemed like it should work (he played FB in the NFL for 7 or 8 years). All we needed was for JLD to work his defensive magic.

I was in Vegas that Summer and placed a bet on State to win the Rose Bowl at 60 to 1. I didn't really think we would win, I was just happy there were odds on us instead of having to bet "Field"
Was this the year that Griffith split his helmet against Ole Miss?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login