Rosebowl says that “unofficially” Landon Sims’ Mississippi State career is over

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Well that's just fine and dandy.

Who will replace the Chizic of baseball?

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Damn y'all really ready to fire our first NC winning coach in any sport after 8 games? Our eight graders we signed are only in 11th grade right now.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
This team isn't his, He inherited it Our NC was won by Jake Mangum, Rowdy Jordan, and Tanner Allen.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I said he should have stayed in the Pen. You have at least another win this weekend.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I said he should have stayed in the Pen. You have at least another win this weekend.

He was tearing it one way or the other this year. Starting or not. It’s not due to overuse. He barely pitched in 2020 due to covid. Last year, he only pitched once a weekend until the post season. This year he was 3 starts in and only averaged 67 pitches a start.

Sep 12, 2013
He was tearing it one way or the other this year. Starting or not. It’s not due to overuse. He barely pitched in 2020 due to covid. Last year, he only pitched once a weekend until the post season. This year he was 3 starts in and only averaged 67 pitches a start.

Not to mention he was clearly our best pitcher by a mile. That’s like having roger Clemens or Pedro Martinez closing. It’s dumb.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Same, Bruce. I never liked the move but I forced myself to accept it. His makeup is of a closer, pure and simple. I think Ginn was the same way. He also was on a strict pitch count his whole life then as soon as he was stretched out - bam.

Of course, their body types may have just been snake-bitten. Violent deliveries.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Exactly. He had what, 18 total innings or something? Ligament injuries aren’t mitigated by less innings per outing if the total number of innings doesn’t change.

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012

Love ya Bruce but I gotta disagree with you here. Landon wanted to start and he was thriving as a starter, just rotten luck that he got injured.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
The silver lining is that it happened now. It would have been a whole lot worse in May. It will be bumpy but it gives time to figure something out

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The silver lining is that it happened now. It would have been a whole lot worse in May. It will be bumpy but it gives time to figure something out

Its more likely that it will prevent anything that happens in May from being relevant. Will likely cost us a minimum of 5 or 6 SEC games that otherwise could have been W’s. It just sucks and there’s nothing else you can really say about it besides that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Exactly. He had what, 18 total innings or something? Ligament injuries aren’t mitigated by less innings per outing if the total number of innings doesn’t change.
It's actually very feasible that the total number of innings/pitches/etc. could exacerbate something like that. It may not have happened with Sims, but it may have also. We can't say either way. He has a violent delivery, he wasn't used to long outings, and above all he had likely played travel ball his whole life and focused on throwing hard. Mix it all up and you get injuries.

We all sit here and argue this or that but bottom line is a risk factor equation.

Edited for ye ole grammar***

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Shhhh....careful. You're gonna upset that narrative on overuse causing UCL injuries.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
He was 0-2. My goodness. He didn’t win a game when healthy and y’all are claiming he would win 5 games in SEC play?

jumpdawg

Sep 7, 2012
It’s up for debate as to what he was trying to communicate and we could take the bait to deliberate the hate but in the end it will affect the way he ***********

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He was 0-2. My goodness. He didn’t win a game when healthy and y’all are claiming he would win 5 games in SEC play?

So you think Sims was headed for an oh-fer season just because he has pitched extremely will this year and was a hard-luck loser twice?

He was perfect with 10 strikeouts through 4.2 in the game he got hurt. Yeah, it's gonna cost us a lot of wins by not having him.

Feb 20, 2011
A pitcher's record can often be a meaningless stat. Sure, he was 0-2. But his ERA was 1.15 with 27 Ks and only 2 BBs in 15.2 IP in his 3 starts.

Besides, it's the domino effect that will also cost us wins.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
Maybe. But there are guys capable of being good. The question is will they harness it. Right now it looks like a no. But remember when we all waived the white flag when Cole Gordon came in? All it takes is for it to click with one of them.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
So you think Sims was headed for an oh-fer season just because he has pitched extremely will this year and was a hard-luck loser twice?

He was perfect with 10 strikeouts through 4.2 in the game he got hurt. Yeah, it's gonna cost us a lot of wins by not having him.

I think there’s a strong case to be made that it already cost us a win this weekend. The trickle down effect of Sims getting injured is we used Brandon Smith for almost four innings to follow him up and Smith was unavailable the rest of the weekend.

WutheringDawg

Dec 4, 2010
You kind of just made the other guys point. When a guy like Sims goes down there is gonna be a lot of adjustment that needs to be made by the staff. Whether it’s finding a third starter or reconfiguring bp usage. Having the injury occur in March gives us runaway to figure that out and for someone to develop/step up. If it happens in the last week of the regular season or in the regional you are trying to figure this same stuff out but with zero margin for error.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I know you're just doing this because this is what you do, but I'll bite.

This team is really ******* good. We just need a few arms to step up. On paper this team is elite as usual. This isn't a talent or recruiting problem, it's a balls of steel problem. This team has to learn how to step up to the mound and gas, and we will be fine.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Shhhh....careful. You're gonna upset that narrative on overuse causing UCL injuries.
Arguing with surgeons now? Damn, here I was thinking I was listening to the right people, but I guess the truth was always there on Facebook. Damn Dr. Andrews, I think I'll listen to some daddy-ballers and a bunch of ex-baseball playing S&C 'coaches' who are even more in-the-know.

It's here if you want it, Drebster: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...eral ligament of,such as baseball and javelin.

Oh, and bruhs were out in full force this weekend. Throwing kids 50+ pitches back to back days ain't nothin' but a thang, baby. Gotta toughen 'em up!!!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2008
I'm with you Bruce. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but I think closing is going to

be his calling card to the league. He's just got the absolute look and feel of a closer. It's what comes natural. Not saying he couldn't easily develop a third pitch but 2 pitch stuff gets you rocked even in the upper minors. Everyone keeps pointing to 70-80 pitches but when they're max effort full velo, it's a different animal. Not to mention our offense has completely sucked in his previous starts before the last one. That has made him go back out there way too soon every inning and pitch his *** off to keep us in it. You shouldn't have to do that against the opponents we've faced. Everyone keeps pointing to he was a starter in high school. Well I mean who wasn't? Now I don't think this was the only and primary reason he got hurt. Just a really ****** luck type deal but we'll always be left wondering what if.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Arguing with surgeons now? Damn, here I was thinking I was listening to the right people, but I guess the truth was always there on Facebook. Damn Dr. Andrews, I think I'll listen to some daddy-ballers and a bunch of ex-baseball playing S&C 'coaches' who are even more in-the-know.

It's here if you want it, Drebster: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...eral ligament of,such as baseball and javelin.

Oh, and bruhs were out in full force this weekend. Throwing kids 50+ pitches back to back days ain't nothin' but a thang, baby. Gotta toughen 'em up!!!

Let me tell you what surgeons actually say:

Overuse can contribute to UCL injury, but not in the way you think. Overuse can lead to fatigue, which can lead to lost fundamentals, which can lead to more stress on the arm and potential injury.

The UCL is a ligament. Ligaments are like rope. The connectors can weaken but the ligament itself rarely does. Sometimes a small tear can persist for a while before the complete rupture, but that doesn't mean the ligament weakened over time. It means there was a trauma event that went undetected. Ligament injuries don't typically come from wear. They are trauma injuries.

So what causes UCL injury? It's a multitude of factors that you don't want to hear about because you just latch on to "overuse." But the REAL answer is trauma. UCL injuries are more likely to high velo pitchers, especially ones who throw sinkers, cutters, and hard sliders. Many pitchers adjust their arm angle to get more movement on those pitches, and that dramatically raises the risk of trauma to the UCL. This is why the most common occurrence of UCL tear is exactly like what we saw with Sims the other night: just fine on one pitch, then sudden pop followed by tingling into the fingers after the next pitch.

In the old days, pitchers threw at 80% instead of max effort on every pitch, and they threw more to contact. As a consequence, pitchers threw many more pitches with fewer arm injuries. As the era of specialization set in, shorter, max effort outings, and high velo pitches with movement has taken over, and so has the volume of UCL injuries.

So what causes UCL injuries? It's not that you threw your 10 year old more than 50 pitches. The UCL doesn't wear down like a tire. It's a trauma injury. And if you're going to be a high velo guy who cuts the ball and drops his arm angle, it's just a matter of time for you, whether you throw minimal innings or high volume. Landon Sims's arm has been babied since the 8th grade, and yet, here we are. Same for JT Ginn. And this is true for most TJ cases today. There's such extreme focus on arm health for young baseball players now, much more than 10 years ago, and yet, TJ cases are still on the rise. You know what that tells me? You're full of ****. And I don't care if James Andrews himself disagrees with what I wrote here....if so, he's full of **** too.

Last edited:

WutheringDawg

Dec 4, 2010
Bu my what no one is pointing out is that Sims is on record basically saying that being a starter was always the plan at some point. And a guy like him, JR year is the last chance. Sure he may be a closer at the next level but don’t get drafted in the 1st without proving you can start. Kevin kopps was a 3rd round pick.

Moving Sims into the rotation checks ever box - fills a team need, fulfills a recruiting promise and best preps him for the mlb draft. The injury suck but that’s just a “that’s baseball” situation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login