Rule should be in place

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Recruits can't even discuss NIL until they're on a team. It shouldn't be used for recruiting purposes. I know its about their likeness, but paying a player to sign with a certain school should still be a violation. They're signing contracts before a LOI.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The cat is out of the bag and it ain't going back in. We took a step closer to capitalism with the NIL, so that's a net positive in my book.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t really follow recruiting close enough to know how this class compared to recent classes but the vibe here seems to be we had a really good class… why are so many harping on NIL so heavily today?

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Good luck with this!

Between NIL, and the transfer rules,

The game as we know it is "Boom".... Blown Up!

Not much I like about it, but....

Not much I can do about it. Good luck to the next crew up!

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Rule? Who’s gonna enforce it? The same NCAA that’s wielding a toothless yappy chihuahua for intimidation?

Let it ride. Sometimes things have to go *splat* before some people get it. Look at our state of politics.

Anyhoo, staying on subject, it will take some contract disputes and lawsuits to sort this new Wild West NIL world out. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before some shady recruit window shops some NIL deal, gets some up front cash, celebrates a merry flipmas to a higher bidder, and it all gets blown up by some clever lawyers whose clients were defrauded by some greedy parents. It’s an eBay for players.

Also: What if the National Labor Board’s recommendation that “student athletes” be defined as “employees” gains traction and takes off? They already made a good case arguing that collective bargaining has already been loosely practiced by players. It’s gonna be a cluster.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Not much you can do with NIL.

Recruits can't even discuss NIL until they're on a team. It shouldn't be used for recruiting purposes. I know its about their likeness, but paying a player to sign with a certain school should still be a violation. They're signing contracts before a LOI.

Once you start, you can't stop. However, the ncaa (or replacement org) could cap roster sizes at a much smaller total. 53 man roster like NFL would probably be a pinch, but we don't need double that like most rosters do. Maybe 65-70 max roster size to start and go from there. I just don't want Alabama or whoever having 100 scholarship quality athletes when we can only afford/attract 50.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

If the deal is strictly between the player and the business entity, then the contract should not be able to require a player to play for a certain school. Once the school is brought into the equation, it is no longer the NIL of the individual player.

If enough players burn boosters by taking the money and then going somewhere else, sorta like the Ewers kid but not waiting a year, maybe more willl wait till after. Not very likely but possible.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I don't have a problem with them making money, it just shouldn't be used as a recruiting tactic. And I don't think that's what the SC had in mind. If they can get money on their own, fine, but for schools to be involved, nah.

I see where some say Barstool paid him to go to JSU, but Brandon said no. So what happened? Barstool said here, you can have this money if you go play for Deion, or not?

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
I’m seeing State with the 13th ranked class on Rivals. I know there are a bunch of Leach haters in here but that seems like quite the haul. I’m excited about where it can take us.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't have a problem with them making money, it just shouldn't be used as a recruiting tactic. And I don't think that's what the SC had in mind. If they can get money on their own, fine, but for schools to be involved, nah.

I see where some say Barstool paid him to go to JSU, but Brandon said no. So what happened? Barstool said here, you can have this money if you go play for Deion, or not?

The only reason a restaurant/hospital/car dealer/insurance company in Mississippi and associated with MSU sould pay some kid from Texas for his NIL would be if that kid signs with MSU. The business would be crazy to sign an NIL deal with a recruit without knowing where that recruit is signing.
The exception to this is some national businesses with a big enough national recruit...which basically never happens for football. Gatorade or State Farm from a corporate level arent yet throwing money at kids for NIL deals regardless of where that kid signs.

The above could change in college basketball since HS recruits are better known and have more of a following at that age than college football recruits.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020

“There should be a rule recruits can’t even discuss NIL until they’re on a team.” As long as no laws are being violated, prospective college athletes can’t have their money making opportunities hindered.

“It shouldn't be used for recruiting purposes.” I agree and the NCAA does also and has said such.

“I know its about their likeness, but paying a player to sign with a certain school should still be a violation.” Pretty sure this would be a violation but I doubt any contract has a clause about signing with a specific school in it because it’s against the rules and would affect eligibility and that’s one of the few areas the NCAA could still issue punishment for. I believe that all NIL deals involving athletes at any school whether enrolled or not are still required to be reviewed by compliance department before enrolling or before signing the contracts for current athletes.

“They're signing contracts before a LOI.” Pretty sure only state or federal laws have jurisdiction over this.

The NCAA was pretty much denutted by SCOTUS.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I think it technically is a violation?

But there's not going to be any enforcement. Even if the NCAA was interested in enforcement (which they pretty cleraly aren't, at least against blue bloods, and even non-blue bloods in power conferences), there's not really a way to enforce it provided nobody is stupid and puts a lot of stuff in writing that they shouldn't. Look at UT's guarantee to OL. Pretty easy for them to say the value is in OL playing at texas, not the individuals themselves (which more or less guts the argument of the supreme court, but whatever), so it makes sense that they don't sign the NIL before the letter of intent, and also makes sense that they advertise that the deal will be there to get the best possible OL to sign up for it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don’t really follow recruiting close enough to know how this class compared to recent classes but the vibe here seems to be we had a really good class… why are so many harping on NIL so heavily today?

The same schools got the same people they were going to get regardless of the NIL only difference it probably cost them more money. The two SEC schools that benefited the most was Missouri and KY. They had really good classes that was way above their normal. They definitely benefited for the NIL. The question comes down to who has egg on their when these guys start to transfer out a year from now.

Last edited:

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Putting a rule in place would only put schools like MSU, who actually try to follow rules, at even more of a disadvantage while helping schools like Ole Miss who ignore all NCAA rules anyway and do what they want. The less rules the more even the playing field IMO.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
No, it hasn't. The words "name, image and likeness" do not even appear in the Court's decision in NCAA v. Alston. The only issue before the Court was the NCAA's limitation on "education-related benefits, such as rules that limit scholarships for graduate or vocational school, payments for academic tutoring, or paid posteligibility internships." In fact the Supreme Court noted that "the [District Court's] injunction 'does not stop the NCAA from continuing to prohibit compensation from sneaker companies, auto dealerships,boosters, or anyone else.'" The District Court appears to have assumed the validity of the NCAA's argument that paying college athletes a fair share of revenue would cause so many fans to lose interest in college athletics that there would be no money to compensate the players, although the Court stated that the NCAA's proof on that point was incredibly weak.

In his concurring opinion, Justice Kavanaugh went well outside any issue before the Court by opining that "it is highly questionable whether the NCAA and its membercolleges can justify not paying student athletes a fair shareof the revenues on the circular theory that the definingcharacteristic of college sports is that the colleges do not paystudent athletes." No other Justice joined in that concurring opinion.

As part of its opinion, the Court made it clear to the NCAA that any exception to the antitrust laws would have to come from Congress. Following that decision, the NCAA adopted an interim rule allowing student athletes to be compensated for the use of name, image or likeness, while pursuing national legislation on the subject. I'm sure the NCAA's attorneys told them the old rule barring such compensation had no chance of passing judicial scrutiny.

From the Q&A on the new rule - "11. What is prohibited under the new policy?Subject to state law, the following is prohibited under the new interim policy:• NIL agreement without quid pro quo (e.g., compensation for work not performed). Student-athlete NILagreements should include the expected NIL deliverables by a student-athlete in exchange for the agreedupon compensation and student-athletes must be compensated only for work actually performed.• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school. For example, institutions should notuse NIL arrangements to improperly induce matriculation (e.g., guaranteeing a particular NIL opportunityupon enrollment);• Compensation for athletic participation or achievement. Athletic performance may enhance a student-athlete’s NIL value, but athletic performance may not be the “consideration” for NIL compensation.• Institutions providing compensation in exchange for the use of a student-athlete’s name, image or likeness.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login