Rumor of the Day: Cohen is “Retiring”

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Wait for some news in the coming days, John is no longer going to be AD. Our boosters aren’t too happy with the direction of our fundraising and NIL efforts in particular and neither is Keenum. He’s gonna be allowed to “retire to spend more time with his family”. It’s why Cohen went and tried to interview at Auburn and got told thanks but no thanks.

Oct 13, 2021
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Wait for some news in the coming days, John is no longer going to be AD. Our boosters aren’t too happy with the direction of our fundraising and NIL efforts in particular and neither is Keenum. He’s gonna be allowed to “retire to spend more time with his family”. It’s why Cohen went and tried to interview at Auburn and got told thanks but no thanks.
I heard he got fired because of the damage caused to the Hump

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'll believe it when I see it. The old State money gets whatever they want from him.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don’t believe this but I wouldn’t mind seeing a change.

Cohen doesn’t deserve most of the criticism he gets but it wouldn’t be a bad move to go hire someone who can help us navigate this NIL world and raise funds.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Well IF true thank you John. Literally the only AD in this schools history to make a hire that lead to a National Championship.
That’s great but my issue has always been what about the other sports? It makes sense that an AD that was a former baseball coach could get baseball taken care of. But every other major program feels like they have less juice right now than they did when Cohen was hired as AD. You can kinda even include baseball in that given that last year was a disaster and we probably have somewhat of a rebuild this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
As good as this sounds, I'm confused as to why they would be "retiring" him now. Let's look at his coaching hires:

Football - I was never a fan of the Leach hire, but it's not like it's a disaster. He's keeping us competitive. The Moorhead hire was a disaster, but why fire him for it 5 years after the fact?

Basketball (M&W) - jury hasn't even begun deliberating on either of these hires. The Penson hire was a disaster (he completely misread the fit on that one), but both current hires at least appear to be good (of course, we always convince ourselves a new hire is good until they start losing games).

Baseball - Again, a terrible hire (he should have known about Cannizaro's character flaws) followed by a really good one.

Moving to minor sports, volleyball and soccer hires have been very good.

He's flubbed the response to NIL, but I expected nothing else from Mississippi State.

I'm just not sure what the major donors and/or Keenum are not happy about right now.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
If this is true, and I hope it is. Please next time no more X coaches. Get a real business and marketing professional. Think the Greg Byrne type. The only skill set I have seen out of Cohen is being a first class A hole.

Reactions: patdog

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I heard AU offered Cohen the job and Cohen accepted under the condition he was allowed bring Bracky with him so the interview ended before Cohen could get Bracky's last name out of his mouth. "No Sir John, we've heard about him and we don't operate like that here at Auburn and furthermore we question your competence level for wanting him tagging along"

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
As good as this sounds, I'm confused as to why they would be "retiring" him now. Let's look at his coaching hires:

Football - I was never a fan of the Leach hire, but it's not like it's a disaster. He's keeping us competitive. The Moorhead hire was a disaster, but why fire him for it 5 years after the fact?

Basketball (M&W) - jury hasn't even begun deliberating on either of these hires. The Penson hire was a disaster (he completely misread the fit on that one), but both current hires at least appear to be good (of course, we always convince ourselves a new hire is good until they start losing games).

Baseball - Again, a terrible hire (he should have known about Cannizaro's character flaws) followed by a really good one.

Moving to minor sports, volleyball and soccer hires have been very good.

He's flubbed the response to NIL, but I expected nothing else from Mississippi State.

I'm just not sure what the major donors and/or Keenum are not happy about right now.
Yeah, come back and talk to me after basketball season. I think we're gonna be really impressed with who we hired and the baseball season will really make people happy.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Stricklins to msu! **

seriously though I would prefer someone with more of a business ad that came up on that side than coaching, what's wetherbee up to these days? I thought he was a pretty good associate AD.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login