Rye Whiskey

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Give me 5 under $75 to give a run. Got a vacation coming up and drunk is on the itinerary. But some sipping is too. Admittedly, I like differe whiskey for different things. Neat, Rocks, Mixolgical, even with a little water (beach).

* Don't give me that Michigan made BS either

Reactions: GomJabbar

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Give me 5 under $75 to give a run. Got a vacation coming up and drunk is on the itinerary. But some sipping is too. Admittedly, I like differe whiskey for different things. Neat, Rocks, Mixolgical, even with a little water (beach).

For cocktails, Rittenhouse.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010

Pikesville Rye

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Bullet gave me the worst evening headache after having it one time with an early dinner steak. Haven't touched it since. Sure sign of crappy made bourbon

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Bullet gave me the worst evening headache after having it one time with an early dinner steak. Haven't touched it since. Sure sign of crappy made bourbon
Or you're a puss ee...lol. Just kidding. Drink it with water and lime juice. Don't drink go neat.

ksc31

Aug 17, 2014
I had a friend give me a bottle of Castle and Key Restoration and I have really enjoyed it. Angel’s Envy is also a good choice for an easy sipper. Russell’s Reserve is good in an old fashion but not that great neat or on the rocks. I also wasn’t impressed with Sazerac Rye even though I’m a big fan of Buffalo Trace products.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I drink most all my whiskey on the rocks. If you have to mix it, it's not good whiskey

Good whiskey can and is aged and priced to be served neat. Take slower and smaller sips and soak in those flavors. On the rocks (big block clear ice is acceptable in certain circumstances) is not much different than mixing it with Coke Zero when it comes to appreciating the characteristics of a good whiskey.

With that said... Mix it if you want. I can tell a hell of a difference mixing a 10 year Russell Reserve vs a bottom shelf Wild Turkey in an old fashioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: HRMSU

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

I'm not a rye fan. It all tastes like lawn clippings to me. But I have a friend that is all in on rye these days

He says High West Rendezvous Rye, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye, and Barrell Seagrass are the ryes to beat in a reasonable price range.

Last edited:

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Koopers Rye is great. It's family owned from what I understand. I've shared it with a few folks and they all loved it.

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012

I like Michter's Rye for just a neat or on the rocks.

Old Grandad Bonded is a high rye bourbon that i think makes a great old fashioned. Its only around $20 too.

IMPP

Sep 30, 2022
Not a big fan of JD
But this hits different! Fantastic pour
IMG_8489.jpeg

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I'm not a rye fan. It all tastes like lawn clippings to me. But I have a friend that is all in on rye these days

He says High West Rendezvous Rye, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye, and Barrell Seagrass are the ryes to beat in a reasonable price range.

High west rye has also been highly recommended, it's on my list to try

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

SAZERAC, RITTENHOUSE, BULLEIT, ANGELS ENVY, BASIL HAYDEN DARK RYE
(BECAUSE THE BINGLE KNOWS HIS RYES)

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If you're looking for Straight Rye, My go to is...

Wild Turkey 101 Rye.jpg

If High Rye Straight Bourbon, hard to go wrong with ...

images (4).jpeg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login