S. MS bourbon/whiskey drinkers

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Has anyone tried Angel’s Envy rye?

One of my favorites. It has increased in price like crazy (what hasnt?)

It has the spiciness of a rye but the cask finish really mellows it and provides a "bourbon-like" finish

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Yes. It's unique, but Sazerac is my go to rye, with Rittenhouse being a close second

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
Apparently it’s pretty limited which probably explains the high price. My neighbor recently went on the bourbon trail tours and said it was in the top 2 or 3 that he and his wife tried. He thought it had a gingerbread taste to it. Does that sound right? I saw some in Collins of all places and might go back and get one.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Apparently it’s pretty limited which probably explains the high price. My neighbor recently went on the bourbon trail tours and said it was in the top 2 or 3 that he and his wife tried. He thought it had a gingerbread taste to it. Does that sound right? I saw some in Collins of all places and might go back and get one.

That would be a fair assessment. I would qualify it more as an allspice -- but same neighborhood. I actually met one of their former executives a few months back who expalined their making processes and marketing startegies to me. Pretty impressive and definitely attempts to include targeting the female demographic

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
It's pretty dang good. It leaves a maple syrup taste on my tongue. I almost tried it on pancakes.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I'm admittedly not a rye expert, but if you are a bourbon lover, and in particular like Tennessee Sour Mash with it's Sugar Maple charcoal filtering, you might give George Dickel Rye a try. 95% rye, yet you can definitely smell & taste the way charcoal filtering gently contributes to the flavor profile. Even better, you can get a bottle for around $25, so it won't cost much to give it a shot. Don't let the low price fool you.

Here are some comments from an expert reviewer:

Nose:
A very approachable and inviting nose is instantly noticeable. Sweet notes of vanilla, marshmallow, lightly charred wood, fallen leaves, and a hint of grilled peaches. It’s a different combination, but one that works well. Surprisingly enough, the hints of rye grain that are present, aren’t as plentiful as I expected for a whiskey with a 95% rye mashbill.

Palate:
Any misdirection the nose may have created that this wasn’t a high rye is instantly quashed in the palate. My mouth is flooded with a heavy dose of creamy spiced rye grain. The palate has a familiar MGP flavor profile, however it’s clear that the Dickel charcoal filtering process has left its mark. Sweet vanilla and marshmallow follow the rye spice and combine to make for one very enjoyable palate. It’s not complex, but its delightful creamy profile makes it extremely easy to sip on.

Finish:
The rye carries through to the finish and is consistent throughout. After a few moments, light hints of white pepper, oak, and leather subtly enter the picture and then subtly exit a few moments later leaving a dry rye characteristic to chew on for several minutes. The finish contains little to no heat and continues on the trend found in the palate of making this extremely easy to drink.

Uniqueness:
Similar to Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond, I found Dickel Rye to be extremely approachable, but in a slightly different way. Where Rittenhouse is easy to recommend for its ability to help bridge a typical bourbon drinker into the world of rye due to its sweeter characteristics, I feel that Dickel Rye is the next logical evolution as individuals explore the world of ryes. You still have an approachable nose that is unique, yet also inviting to bourbon drinkers. This is followed by a palate and finish that deliver a more traditional rye experience thanks to its 95% rye content. While classic rye characteristics are present in the palate and finish, there is no doubt that the unique Dickel charcoal filtering process has left its mark. The end result is a rye that forgoes exotic flavors and sticks to ones that are straightforward and easy to dissect. The 90 proof is perfectly balanced and allows the flavors to nicely shine through with very little heat being present. This is truly the definition of an easy sipping rye.

Overall:
Able to be appreciated by both new and veteran whiskey drinkers, George Dickel Rye delivers an enjoyable experience at a fantastic price.

There’s not much to hate about Dickel’s sole rye whiskey. Sure it may not be the most complex rye you’ll ever sip on, but it will deliver a sip that you want to keep going back to. In fact I found myself going back more and more than I usually do when I review a whiskey. For years I used to pass this on the shelf thinking that I’ll get to it eventually, or telling myself how good can this be for $25. I now wholeheartedly regret that mindset, because this is one rye that you’ll be hard pressed not to like.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I bought a bottle of the Cut Above Rye (Crittenden Distillery Kiln, MS) but have not cracked it open yet. I have never drank Rye before. I do like their Bourbon and just decided to give this a shot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login