Sad news out of Selma, AL

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Any details of the injury? Was it spinal or heart related? So sad.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I wouldn't trade my 6 years of middle school and high school playing time for anything, some of the greatest times of my life. Taught me so many things, team work, how to push myself, how to push others, how to take criticism and praise, so many things. That said, would I do it all over again? I'm not sure, I kind of doubt it. I'm only 62 but have arthritis already, knuckles knees and hips are not in good shape. When we weren't in season it was off season training i.e. track and power lifting. Summers were running and weight lifting, it all adds up. And none of that compares to what happened to this kid

Reactions: preacher_dawg

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
This is tough. I love football, but I have a difficult time thinking of letting my sons play. https://www.selmatimesjournal.com/2024/08/24/morgan-academy-quarterback-dies-after-game-injury
I played for Tupelo in the mid 80’s. High School players were beasts then and even more so now. I discouraged my son from playing and he didn’t. With that said, playing high school football is one of my favorite times of my life. Just glad to get out healthy. I can’t imagine what this family is going through.

Last edited:
Reactions: preacher_dawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I know a family who had a kid die playing flag football. Sometimes it's just your time.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I wouldn't trade my 6 years of middle school and high school playing time for anything, some of the greatest times of my life. Taught me so many things, team work, how to push myself, how to push others, how to take criticism and praise, so many things. That said, would I do it all over again? I'm not sure, I kind of doubt it. I'm only 62 but have arthritis already, knuckles knees and hips are not in good shape. When we weren't in season it was off season training i.e. track and power lifting. Summers were running and weight lifting, it all adds up. And none of that compares to what happened to this kid
I played in junior high and high school as well. I loved it. My little boy is 5. I won’t tell him that he can’t play, but if he decides he wants to do something other than football when the time comes, I certainly won’t be mad about it.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
As dangerous as football can be, nothing is more dangerous than what most high school kids are doing when they are not playing football/sports. It's always tragic to read/here of these things, but social media and the internet has amplified these things.

On average 4-8 kids a year die every year from direct and indirect football injuries. On average 3 high school kids a day die from overdoses and 8 from auto accidents. I remember not having time for any of that other stuff during football season. School, practice, homework, repeat was the schedule from August to Thanksgiving. Maybe a little hunting on the weekends.

As scary as it is to think about seeing something like this happen to your child, it is very unlikely. I'm much more concerned about my boys falling in with the wrong crowd, making a stupid decision one time that ruins/ends their life, or just hopping in a car with the wrong kid at the wrong time.

Prayers for the kid and his family. I hope football just continues to get safer. Saw high school kids practicing with the padded helmet covers the other day and I think that's great. Hopefully they make it into games sooner than later if they are going to make it safer for players.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Man are you doing ok?
Yes😂. Just people reflecting on how they would do things differently now because of some tragedy irks me. We have become such a "safe" society that people are scared of their own shadows. Hundreds of thousands of kids played football this weekend and didn't die. Just a reality check.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I watched one of these small academy games Friday. Quick Look at Morgan Academy shows 20 players on the team. That usually means less experienced coaching, which means less fundamentals. Also means bigger age gaps, and more players going both ways. More fatigue and more recklessness. However, I’m not saying this actually compares to the size and speed of major 7A ball or whatever, just an observation. I saw it on display.

But at the end of the day, this is probably just a freak occurrence. While you do get injured more in football overall, a death like this could happen in soccer or taking a thrown baseball to the head or something.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

patdog

May 28, 2007
But at the end of the day, this is probably just a freak occurrence. While you do get injured more in football overall, a death like this could happen in soccer or taking a thrown baseball to the head or something.
I agree. It’s a freak accident. I wonder if his helmet was properly padded & fitted. Usually a catastrophic football injury will be a spinal injury. As for risk in other sports, I saw a guy fracture his skull in a soccer game once.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I watched one of these small academy games Friday. Quick Look at Morgan Academy shows 20 players on the team. That usually means less experienced coaching, which means less fundamentals. Also means bigger age gaps, and more players going both ways. More fatigue and more recklessness. However, I’m not saying this actually compares to the size and speed of major 7A ball or whatever, just an observation. I saw it on display.

Our local softball tournament back in July had a girl go into cardiac arrest at home plate after scoring from first. No pulse for 3+ minutes, but luckily a local police officer had just pulled up in his cruiser and had a defibrillator in his car and got her going again and she should make a full recovery. It happens a lot.

I chalk it up to the freak accident category.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Reminder/perspective: 157 children aged 0–11 were killed by guns in 2024, and 382 were injured. 767 teenagers aged 12–17 were also killed, and 2,174 were injured.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login