Saints - Eagles trade...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
A major shakeup to this year’s draft.More ahead on ESPN’s NFL Live on the air now. pic.twitter.com/CYOwDEAymn— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 4, 2022

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Hope Saints really have their eye on some players this year. Otherwise, if you back out the two very similar slots on each side, Saints just traded the 101 pick this year and what will likely be two good early picks in '23 and '24 for the 16th pick this year.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Trade-rape

Trading three first round picks for two first round picks seems like bad math. Maybe they feel pretty confident in who they will get with the two picks this year. I guess we’ll find out. Did the saints have multiple first round picks in ‘23 and ‘24 from past deals?

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Trading three first round picks for two first round picks seems like bad math. Maybe they feel pretty confident in who they will get with the two picks this year. I guess we’ll find out. Did the saints have multiple first round picks in ‘23 and ‘24 from past deals?

Huh? They traded 2 1st for 2 1st with a 2nd and 3rd

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It's a fair question. The Eagles had 3 first round picks this year. Now they have 2 first rounders in 2022 & 2023.

I don't see that the Saints had an extra first rounder next year though...

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008

No, they don't. They will though when someone comes calling for Sean Payton

patdog

May 28, 2007
Looks like the Saints are desperate for some immediate help. Long term, that trade is a win for the Eagles. The 4 1st round picks are pretty much a wash. The 6th and 7th round picks are pretty much a wash. And the Eagles get a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for their troubles. Glad I'm not a Saints fan.

Last edited:

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Well they are either trying to package the two locks this year to move up or they really like what’s on the dead board at those slots

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Best available left tackle and best available wide reciever. Both high need positions for the Saints.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Best available left tackle and best available wide reciever. Both high need positions for the Saints.

Long term LT is certainly a need. James hurst is really good right now though. He played the majority of LT last season, and he graded out at 69.8 on PFF. He isn't a long term solution though.

ETA... ramcyzk could be the long term LT, and draft someone for RT

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Looks like the Saints are desperate for some immediate help. Long term, that trade is a win for the Eagles. The 4 1st round picks are pretty much a wash. The 6th and 7th round picks are pretty much a wash. And the Eagles get a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for their troubles. Glad I'm not a Saints fan.

Saints are betting on that #18 pick being in the 20s next year. I think it's a good bet. This saints team is much better than you're giving credit for. It took biblical injuries and Covid to keep them out of the playoffs last year.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
I say they do. New coach new QB.

I could definitely see a qb in the 1st round, but I don't see him playing unless Winston gets hurt. Winston was quite good for the saints last year. He was 5-2 as a starter, and if he had maintained his passer rating at QBR for the whole season, he'd have finished top 6 in both. Keep in mind, he was playing without Michael Thomas. I don't think he will be a top 10 qb for the saints, but they really only need him to be in the 10-15 range with their defense.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Bortles just requested his release. That makes Winston, dalton, and book. If they draft a qb, I assume book is cut

You have to include Hill as a QB, regardless of what the long term plan for him is or what the roster says his official position is. If Winston and Dalton both go down, he’s gonna be the guy and everybody knows it.

He’s also still being paid like a QB. He’s certainly not earned $10 million per year for his grand total of 34 receptions over his first 4 years in the league. Especially considering that he’s 31 years old and smaller than most WR’s in the NFL these days.

Last edited:

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
You have to include Hill as a QB, regardless of what the long term plan for him is or what the roster says his official position is. If Winston and Dalton both go down, he’s gonna be the guy and everybody knows it.

He’s also still being paid like a QB. He’s certainly not earned $10 million per year for his grand total of 34 receptions over his first 4 years in the league.

He'll be te/h-back/ST/gadget qb. They signed dalton so taysom could be taysom. I doubt he's even ready till mid-season

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
He'll be te/h-back/ST/gadget qb. They signed dalton so taysom could be taysom. I doubt he's even ready till mid-season

I’m simply saying he’s gotta be factored into the number of QB’s on the roster when discussing whether or not to draft a QB this year. Even if they cut Book, its hard to see them rolling with Winston, Dalton, Hill, and a rookie QB<insert rookie="" qb="">. That a lot of roster capital to invest in the position. It helps that Taysom can do other things, but again, he’s getting $10 million. Really hard to imagine the Saints would be fine paying that to a gadget guy who gets only 3-5 touches per game with no flexibility to play QB.

It’s also the weakest rookie QB draft class in probably a decade if not longer, which is even more reason to shy away from drafting one in their current spot.

ETA: Taysom already has his 2023 salary fully guaranteed as well (as of a few weeks ago), which is about a $14 million cap hit and $9 million salary, to go along with his $5 million hit and $10 million salary this year. Saints would be mind numbingly stupid to commit that kind of money and a roster spot for 2 years on a 32-33 year old guy coming off a Lisfranc injury if they weren’t at least leaving the door cracked for him to play QB. He’s about to age out of being able to do all the other gadget stuff very soon.</insert>

Last edited:

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I trust that Mickey Loomis knows what he’s doing. And even with the off-season departures, there’s a lot of talent left on the roster. Will contend for a Wild Card spot.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I’m simply saying he’s gotta be factored into the number of QB’s on the roster when discussing whether or not to draft a QB this year. Even if they cut Book, its hard to see them rolling with Winston, Dalton, Hill, and a rookie QB<insert rookie="" qb="">. That a lot of roster capital to invest in the position. It helps that Taysom can do other things, but again, he’s getting $10 million. Really hard to imagine the Saints would be fine paying that to a gadget guy who gets only 3-5 touches per game with no flexibility to play QB.

It’s also the weakest rookie QB draft class in probably a decade if not longer, which is even more reason to shy away from drafting one in their current spot.

ETA: Taysom already has his 2023 salary fully guaranteed as well (as of a few weeks ago), which is about a $14 million cap hit and $9 million salary, to go along with his $5 million hit and $10 million salary this year. Saints would be mind numbingly stupid to commit that kind of money and a roster spot for 2 years on a 32-33 year old guy coming off a Lisfranc injury if they weren’t at least leaving the door cracked for him to play QB. He’s about to age out of being able to do all the other gadget stuff very soon.</insert>

They announced earlier this week that Taysom will drop the QB position going forward and focus on TE

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I trust that Mickey Loomis knows what he’s doing. And even with the off-season departures, there’s a lot of talent left on the roster. Will contend for a Wild Card spot.

Contending for a wild card spot doesn't seem like a position where you want to trade future picks for current picks though and give up extra picks. I don't pay attention to much NFL so I'm probably wrong, but listening to saints fans, it doesn't seem like they were on the verge this year unless they got a good QB, which this doesn't accomplish for them. Unless he has an idea of a QB he is going to trade for and is getting the assets to make the trade.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
They announced earlier this week that Taysom will drop the QB position going forward and focus on TE

I’m fully aware what was announced. It still doesn’t change what’s going to happen if Dalton and/or Winston goes down. They aren’t going to throw Book or a rookie out there in winnable games unless they are already way out of the playoff race.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login