Saints sign Randall Gay

Center Z

Sep 4, 2006
This should REALLY help out in the secondary.

link

NEW ORLEANS Randall Gay, a cornerback who spent the past four seasons with the New England Patriots, has agreed to a four-year contract with the New Orleans Saints, his agent said Sunday.

Gays agent, Albert Elias, told The Associated Press that the deal is worth up to $17.6 million. The deal was not confirmed Sunday by the team. Elias said he expected Gay to sign Monday.

Signed out of LSU in 2004 by the Patriots, Gay has played in 39 regular-season NFL games. He has 86 tackles, five interceptions and one fumble recovery.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
last year we signed the second best corner of a great team, getting Jason David instead of Nick Harper. Have we gone and done it aGAIN?

GOPdog

Jun 24, 2007
I love this sign...then again, I was excited about the Jason David signing too. With this sign and the trade for Vilma who do the Saints draft now?

I say cut Deuce, trade up for Mcfadden. Sick.

klong17

Feb 24, 2008
why not go after another corner? The saints need 2 to 3 new cover db's... why not go after our own Smoot?

NapoleonDynamite

Feb 29, 2008
Well, I know nothing more than the regular football fan...

But I've heard the guys on TV say several times that the reason NE's defensive backs are so productive is because Belechick's defenses are agressive and always get a lot of pressure on the QB's. I just hope this isn't the case of an average defensive back looking average if the Saints DLine doesn't get the same kind of pressure on the QB.

3 and 9 record

Jason David actually is a pretty good corner in an Indy-type defense (lots of cover-2 zone). Dude can't cover man-to-man however. Saints should probably just cut him loose.

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
Before the season last year I heard several guys question the move since he was going to a more man position that he was not accustom too.

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
Still can't believe they were able to land a top flight MLB for a 4th rounder next year.

They need to land a stud DT at #10 in the draft. Also, they need to figure out someway to cut Grant, I think he took his signing bonus and purchased a Krispy Kreme.

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
Are you crazy? Grant is no pro bowler but he is good. Very good against the run. Below average rushing the QB.

They handled Grant just the way I thought we should... sign a decent pass rusher (McCray from J-ville) and hopefully slide Grant inside to DT on passing downs.

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
There may only be 3-4 CB's in the NFL that can get it done without a decent pass rush.

That's why the Saints need to add DL help. Some help is coming with McCray, DE from Jacksonville

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
David could be a good nickle or dime. Usama Young looked decent last year at times... maybe he steps up more in year 2

3 and 9 record

Coast Dawg, I agree. A poor pash rush can make Champ Bailey and Ty Law look like below-average corners.

P.S. In no way am I comparing any of the Saints corners to Champ Bailey or Ty Law.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login