Sam Purcell the best coach at State?

Oct 20, 2022
Great run by the lady Dawgs. ND and officials on ND home court too much to overcome but we were close!
Good showing and tremendous effort. Coach Purcell seems like he's really prepared for the tournament in short order. His team got better as the season progressed. Always a good sign. Really like Coach Jans as well - he just didn't have enough horses.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I would include Armstrong (women's soccer) as a contender but would lean towards Jans. I know not many on here follow or even care about the women's soccer program but if you look at our history, let's just say it's been less than stellar. Armstrong has done a great job turning the program around and making it respectable.

I like Purcell but he had a better deck to play with this year than Jans. The women's team should have been a 7 or 8 seed based on the talent on that team. Jans basically had a hodge podge of mismatched pieces that he pulled together for a great season. I think we have two really good coaches but want to see what Purcell brings in for year 2 before giving him that crown.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Good showing and tremendous effort. Coach Purcell seems like he's really prepared for the tournament in short order. His team got better as the season progressed. Always a good sign. Really like Coach Jans as well - he just didn't have enough horses.
This may be blasphemy on here, but Purcell's team runs much better sets than the men do. Jans's team relies on mostly motion offense vs. man. I'm not saying you have to run sets all the time, but in close game situations, I think you do to get certain people open. I think Jans needs some offensive coaching help.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I would include Armstrong (women's soccer) as a contender but would lean towards Jans. I know not many on here follow or even care about the women's soccer program but if you look at our history, let's just say it's been less than stellar. Armstrong has done a great job turning the program around and making it respectable.

I like Purcell but he had a better deck to play with this year than Jans. The women's team should have been a 7 or 8 seed based on the talent on that team. Jans basically had a hodge podge of mismatched pieces that he pulled together for a great season. I think we have two really good coaches but want to see what Purcell brings in for year 2 before giving him that crown.
I had forgotten about Armstrong but I agree with you. Has beaten OM back to back years for the first time in over a decade and we also won our first ever NCAA Tournament game last season. And that was with having like 4-5 players miss significant time with injuries. Our soccer history has been putrid and he’s done a great job.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I'm not really sure how you're assessing Purcell's "deck". The starters all year were a variety of transfers from other schools, a good, but true freshman and Jessika Carter, who might have never played again without Purcell's encouragement. Certainly there is talent there, but the game today should have made it obvious we aren't yet to the level of Top 20 teams talent wise.

I'll give both basketball coaches A's without trying to pick one. They both overachieved.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Nah, Sam went and got transfers because Nikki left a destroyed program. WBB had completely come apart. Our best player left for TN. This team had never played together at all. What Sam did was great. Almost beat ND, a top 10 team most of the year, on their home court. They got better all season. There's no question mark there at all. Wait til you see his recruiting. He's going to pull talent.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Lady Bulldogs were picked to finish 5th in the conference preseason and they finished 5th. The SEC was perceived as down this year so I think State and Ole Miss suffered in that from a seeding standpoint. Ole Miss beat #1 seed Stanford on their own court last night. Purcell did a good job to be a first year coach and he’s got quite of a bit of talent coming in.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This may be blasphemy on here, but Purcell's team runs much better sets than the men do. Jans's team relies on mostly motion offense vs. man. I'm not saying you have to run sets all the time, but in close game situations, I think you do to get certain people open. I think Jans needs some offensive coaching help.
The offense is fine and it would look much different with just slightly more consistent outside shooting.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Nah, Sam went and got transfers because Nikki left a destroyed program. WBB had completely come apart. Our best player left for TN. This team had never played together at all. What Sam did was great. Almost beat ND, a top 10 team most of the year, on their home court. They got better all season. There's no question mark there at all. Wait til you see his recruiting. He's going to pull talent.
Annie Hayes was averaging over 18 ppg last year for us and second team All - SEC.
JerKaila averaged almost 14 ppg for us last year and was second on the team in scoring.
Jessika averaged 14 ppg the year prior to her taking a mental break last year.
Denae Carter was named on the All-Freshman team last year.
Debreasha Powe was already committed to us and the 2022 Gatorade Player of the Year.
Ramani Parker and Ahlana Smith both came from Louisville where Purcell coached them for the last 2 years.
Kourtney Weber was someone Purcell recruited out of high school and coached against for four years. He had first-hand knowledge of what these girls could do.

The idea that the cupboard was bare is just not accurate. And as Desoto said, they were picked 5th preseason. Men's team was picked 9th or 10th depending on the preseason poll.

Both coaches deserve praise for the jobs they did this year, but Jans had a tougher hill to climb in putting a team together.

Reactions: vicksburg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login