Sanderson Center Renovation

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Funny. A friend and I actually signed up for badminton freshman year to fulfill our fraternal duties. We got our asses skunked by some foreigners. I don't think we ever made contact with the birdie.
I was embarrassed by how bad I was the only time I tried.

Reactions: stateu1

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I was embarrassed by how bad I was the only time I tried.
I used to play ping pong with the foreign students in Hamlim Hall. Over the year that I continued to play and got pretty good. The Chinese guys that I played against held the paddle upside down. The Indian guys held it like we do but they were very good. I preservered while a lot of other American guys just said, "I'm Outta here!"

Never really got into badminton but I have watched the world championship and there is no way to compete with those guys.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
On a few Friday nights at the Tin Gym, the Far Eastern force was strong with certain students on the badminton and ping pong tables. I proved to not even be a padawan. There were some sick moves I saw demonstrated . . .

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
The Sanderson needs it. The facility itself is still plenty nice, but their usage of space is questionable at best.

Weight room is way too small, the main corridor feels unnecessarily big (waste of space), and half of the racquetball courts are always empty (and they seldom get used for raquetball).

I'd love to see them add one more basketball court but I doubt it'll happen.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Meanwhile Dorman Hall is sad that everyone else is getting a facelift except it **

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The Sanderson needs it. The facility itself is still plenty nice, but their usage of space is questionable at best.

Weight room is way too small, the main corridor feels unnecessarily big (waste of space), and half of the racquetball courts are always empty (and they seldom get used for raquetball).

I'd love to see them add one more basketball court but I doubt it'll happen.
You never got to experience The Tin Gym.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You never got to experience The Tin Gym.
Im Out GIF

Reactions: dawgman42

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was a pretty decent ping ponger back in the day, but I never played no furriners so maybe I wasnā€™t as good as I thought.
Thatā€™s my story too. I thought I was good & I used to dominate at JCJC BSU. But Iā€™m sure those guys would have destroyed me.

similar story in tennis. I thought I was pretty decent, so I entered the MSU intramural tournament. I drew a bye & played a couple of weak players. Next thing I knew I was in the round of 16. I knew in warmups I was in trouble. First serve if the match & I fouled it straight back over the fence behind me. Lost 6-0 6-1. The one game I won he had 2 double faults & an error. I really only won 1 point.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Thatā€™s my story too. I thought I was good & I used to dominate at JCJC BSU. But Iā€™m sure those guys would have destroyed me.

similar story in tennis. I thought I was pretty decent, so I entered the MSU intramural tournament. I drew a bye & played a couple of weak players. Next thing I knew I was in the round of 16. I knew in warmups I was in trouble. First serve if the match & I fouled it straight back over the fence behind me. Lost 6-0 6-1. The one game I won he had 2 double faults & an error. I really only won 1 point.
I won the intramural tennis tourney one year. But then another time I was paired against this 40 year old pot bellied bearded Turkish grad student. I think he may have smoked a cigarette while he beat me.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
So what exactly is a "bouldering cave" that will be constructed from an existing racquetball court? Some kind of new bomb shelter?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I am grateful for the Sanderson, don't get me wrong. However, everytime I walk in there I question how they managed to use such large of a space so poorly.
Never used the Sanderson much other than to play basketball now and again. I feel like people have said itā€™s subpar for 15 years now. What is wrong with it/how could it be improved?

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I never played basketball. My only two experiences with the Tin Gym were class registration every semester (before computers - Iā€™m old) and I saw Lynard Skynard (original band before the plane crash) in concert there. Freebird was even more awesome than you can imagine. Music Maker Productions used to have good concerts.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
In my time at State the only indoor rec facilities were McCarthy, tin gym and weight room in the Suttle hall basement. Indoor intramural sports were played in McCarthy and the Tin Gym where I did basketball, volleyball, and pillo polo. The one exception I can think of was riflery which was either in or around the IRHC building. Oh, and there was a bowling alley in the Union but I don't really count that.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I never played basketball. My only two experiences with the Tin Gym were class registration every semester (before computers - Iā€™m old) and I saw Lynard Skynard (original band before the plane crash) in concert there. Freebird was even more awesome than you can imagine. Music Maker Productions used to have good concerts.
That was also McCarthy. I WISH I had been at that Skynard concert. That was before my time but it had legendary status around the GTR area.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Point of order for some of us old folks: the Tin Gym was an old Quonset hut type thing that used to be in the same area alongside the McCarthy Gym. It was NOT McCarthy. McCarthy was a palace compared to the Tin Gym. I think the Tin Gym was torn down during my time at MSU. I went in it one time to watch some friends play intramural basketball. There was what looked like asbestos insulation hanging from the ceiling. McCarthy survived until just recently.

Last edited:

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
So what exactly is a "bouldering cave" that will be constructed from an existing racquetball court? Some kind of new bomb shelter?
Rock climbing without ropes. Shorter walls, a bunch of different routes, overhangs, etc.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Funny. A friend and I actually signed up for badminton freshman year to fulfill our fraternal duties. We got our asses skunked by some foreigners. I don't think we ever made contact with the birdie.
You don't like shuttlecocks?**

• Haha

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
While the foreigners would dominate the badminton and ping pong circuit, I worked as an intramural referee for basketball.

A team of Middle Eastern all-stars played and they were hilariously bad. They would do "hockey subs" as in they would just run on the court and replace one another any time they wanted. We would stop play, explain and it would do no good. Finally we said 17 it and let them do it.

They were getting beat 50-0 and one of them got a put back and they were so excited. Fun to watch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login