Sankey wants to get rid of the early signing period.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Better for Bama or UGA....maybe. They get who they want anyway regardless of one or two signing days.

For the overall health of the sport.......the December signing period needs to be eliminated. We are firing coaches in October now...to "Get a head start" on hiring the next ex-head coach. Teams go through post season with no staff. Coaching hot seat talk and next year hires dominate college football headlines. For some schools, many, the season they are in, is 2nd page news to the "Coaching fire/hire and next year." It is a mess.

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Better for Bama or UGA....maybe. They get who they want anyway regardless of one or two signing days.

For the overall health of the sport.......the December signing period needs to be eliminated. We are firing coaches in October now...to "Get a head start" on hiring the next ex-head coach. Teams go through post season with no staff. Coaching hot seat talk and next year hires dominate college football headlines. For some schools, many, the season they are in, is 2nd page news to the "Coaching fire/hire and next year." It is a mess.
The transfer portal changes the early signing day for me. I could see it being difficult for coaches right now with transfer portal, bowl prep and signing day.

Reactions: Maroon13

patdog

May 28, 2007
Early signing day in December with the transfer portal stuff going on is ridiculous. Need to back it up to May rather than just get rid of it though.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
December for January enrollees only. April-May for summer/fall enrollees.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Can’t go back to having a dead period in December where recruits can’t legally be contacted. We have lost a lot of players in the dead period to you know who.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
tOo HuRd on COrChES.

17 that. There may be legitimate reasons to end the early signing period, but making December easier on a bunch of millionaires shouldn’t be it.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The transfer portal changes the early signing day for me. I could see it being difficult for coaches right now with transfer portal, bowl prep and signing day.

Exactly. That really is hard on coaches. It tells you a lot about what the big money schools want though when the signing day is the one they choose to eliminate. By all means, lets keep the one that has totally destroyed college sports as we know it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Early signing day in December with the transfer portal stuff going on is ridiculous. Need to back it up to May rather than just get rid of it though.
If we do move it from December, this is the only way to do it, though I think we should do it in August before camp.

But either way, 17 Sankey and 17 the coaches whining. Earn your money.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Agree. Since kids can visit in the summer though, the signing period should be the Wednesday before fall camp starts. Let the coaches get through the season, and keep the February period
Concur. Have an early signing period on the first of August. If a player gets hurts, or had a bad senior season, you'd still be committed to that one year scholly. If a player didn't get an offer he wanted, he could "bet on himself" not sign and play his senior year to improve his stock.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Says it’s putting a lot of strain on the coaches.

Well, then have the early signing period during the summer before the season. Like this December signing period, it should have been July 20th instead. Then the second signing period should be February.
Or maybe players should be able to sign any day once they start school as a senior. Have no signing day. Players should be able to sign at any point.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Poor Bama and Georgia can’t poach players at the last second. Our coach passed and we pretty much signed all our commits. All this means it’ll change & the richer will definitely win and we will lose.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Well to be honest the whole signing day thing is a joke anyway. I wish kids could sign anytime they wanted after Labor Day.

kids can get out of an NLI only for HC change or if mutually agreed upon for some other reason

Reactions: Maroon13

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I guess one or two of the many support staffers could help Saban with the early signing period.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Well to be honest the whole signing day thing is a joke anyway. I wish kids could sign anytime they wanted after Labor Day.

kids can get out of an NLI only for HC change or if mutually agreed upon for some other reason

In that case, signing day just becomes the day after Labor Day.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Let them sign anytime. Get rid of verbal commitments. Don’t offer a kid unless you’re ready to sign.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Let them sign anytime. Get rid of verbal commitments. Don’t offer a kid unless you’re ready to sign.

Agreed. Let them sign in 7th grade if thats what the school wants them to do. If we’re going to keep this ridiculousness with the portal going, the worst that can happen is these kids are unhappy for a semester and then they can go somewhere else….just like thousands of regular college freshmen every year.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I would say moving it back will help new coaches. We might could have taken our time on replacing leach had signing day not been in December
But Leach is a different situation. Making a decision to fire a coach is fundamentally different than one passing away. Doesn’t matter what time of year signing period is, when a coach passes away. It could happen at any time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login