Savannah Bananas Owner on Concessions

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What “friction points” could MSU address at sporting events to create a better experience and how would you do it?
We're on the cheap side of prices for beer at our events from what I understand, but I still think $10 for a 16oz beer when you can buy a whole 6 Pack at the grocer for under $8 is just ridiculous. $60 for a 6pack at the game or $8 at the grocery store? My "experience" at MSU sporting events would be much better and they would actually make some money from me if they lowered that price because I'm too cheap to but it at their current pricing.

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
For regular concessions - when State concentrated on lower priced concessions - I thought it was genius. You could get a drink and a hot dog for like $5-$6.
This all day.

If State is putting a lackluster product on the field, having to shell out premium concession prices is just another reason not to go.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
https://www.facebook.com/share/r/9eRYL7kwtiM35XfR/?mibextid=UalRPS
Thought this was super interesting from Jesse Cole, owner of the Savannah Bananas. It’s genius when you think about. Since each year concessions are a boiling point for our fan base it got me thinking. What “friction points” could MSU address at sporting events to create a better experience and how would you do it?
The lack of shade combined with September afternoon games. They dared me to drop my season tix for long enough that I finally took them up on it.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Basketball, I like how colonial life arena is at South carolina. They have like 8 or more food type options....only one stand was hot dogs and popcorn variety. UgA sux at their basketball stadium, they just had pre-bagged hotdogs and chips....but it was cheep.

Football I don't know what can change. It's too hot for me to eat, I'm also feeling like I don't want to deal with any line....because I hate being behind the dude picking up food and drink for 40.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
For regular concessions - when State concentrated on lower priced concessions - I thought it was genius. You could get a drink and a hot dog for like $5-$6.

MSU Athletics Reduces Concession Prices At All Venues - Mississippi State (hailstate.com)

That’s the sweet spot. Value. Let’s be real, even “premium” concessions absolutely suck. You’ll rarely get good food in a stadium. Just give me the drank & dog for $6 and I’m happy. Keep the fake artisanal $16 options.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Thought this was super interesting from Jesse Cole, owner of the Savannah Bananas. It’s genius when you think about. Since each year concessions are a boiling point for our fan base it got me thinking. What “friction points” could MSU address at sporting events to create a better experience and how would you do it?

I will say that if more fans like me, in person attendance would be screwed, so I'm probalby not the person to listen to, but generally, my friction points with MSU football games are:

1) Lodging. Not a lot MSU can do to address that but we've got lots of places we like that we can stay for a couple of nights for $500.
2) Game temps. Not a lot MSU can do here as the SEC is prioritizing TV partners over fan experience. I completely understand, but it sucks. $500 in lodging to go sweat your *** off and not be able to even get a cold water unless you wait in line at the concession stand makes watching on TV, especially somewhere that's a little more vacation like, a lot more appealing.
3) Concession Pricing. This is really just for kids to me. I want to eat at the tailgate before and after the game. During the game I just want a cup of ice to mix with. If it's hot, I want some cold water. But my kids want at least a hotdog or popcorn type snack and probably a drink each half.
4) Comfortable seating. Not a big deal to me, but with how comfortable it is to watch on TV, probably makes a difference on the margins to a lot of people.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I will say that if more fans like me, in person attendance would be screwed, so I'm probalby not the person to listen to, but generally, my friction points with MSU football games are:

1) Lodging. Not a lot MSU can do to address that but we've got lots of places we like that we can stay for a couple of nights for $500.
2) Game temps. Not a lot MSU can do here as the SEC is prioritizing TV partners over fan experience. I completely understand, but it sucks. $500 in lodging to go sweat your *** off and not be able to even get a cold water unless you wait in line at the concession stand makes watching on TV, especially somewhere that's a little more vacation like, a lot more appealing.
3) Concession Pricing. This is really just for kids to me. I want to eat at the tailgate before and after the game. During the game I just want a cup of ice to mix with. If it's hot, I want some cold water. But my kids want at least a hotdog or popcorn type snack and probably a drink each half.
4) Comfortable seating. Not a big deal to me, but with how comfortable it is to watch on TV, probably makes a difference on the margins to a lot of people.
Definitely need to chairback the lower bowl(except for visitor section).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think there’s been some improvements in how we get our concessions. What they did at the Hump is a good example with the quick service lines. Everything is laid out for you to pick up instead of waiting in line for someone to take your order. The lines move much faster because all you’re having to do is go pay with what you picked out. I still think MSU is decent on pricing. Try going to a Grizzlies game at the Forum and you’ll easily drop a bunch of money at concessions.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
That’s the sweet spot. Value. Let’s be real, even “premium” concessions absolutely suck. You’ll rarely get good food in a stadium. Just give me the drank & dog for $6 and I’m happy. Keep the fake artisanal $16 options.
Just went to Globe Life two weeks ago. There's some good food to be had there. Not cheap, but I'd eat it at a restaurant at a more reasonable price.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That was 2018…. Pre Covid and Pre Inflation.
I went to a Bananas game in Savannah in 2022. They employed the same concept then. Obviously, the tickets aren't $15 like they were 8 years ago, but I think they were only like $25 or $30 when we went and they're still only $35 which includes taxes, fees, and all you can eat burgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, chips, and drinks. The same method of food delivery is employed there today. They announce the food lines are open, you go get in line, grab your drink, chips, and sandwich in an assembly line and go back to your seat. Even with a long line, the process takes about 5 minutes.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
The move to grab and go has been a total game changer. I went from never going to concessions to now going.
Grab and go is the answer. I don’t mind paying the inflated prices. I’ve resigned myself to doing it at all sporting events. I absolutely mind sitting in line for 30 minutes to get food or a drink and missing the game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login