SBW: How much do you care?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Perhaps I’m just turning into an old man, but Super Bulldog Weekend used to be one of the most anticipated weekends on the calendar for me. Loved going to the Spring Game, and baseball was a big deal too.

Now? I don’t think I’ve attended a Spring Game since 2015 when Dak was on campus, don’t think I’ve even watched one on TV since Moorhead’s first spring game, and the huge crowds at baseball have been more of a deterrent for me than a source of intrigue, at least for the Saturday game. If I ever go to baseball on SBW it’s going to be on Friday night or Sunday afternoon. The SBW Saturday crowds frankly got to be miserable at a certain point.

I dunno, curious to see where others are as far as interest in this weekend. I won’t say it’s not a big deal anymore but it’s definitely different. The crowds used to come for football and then baseball was secondary, now it feels flip flopped.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I care about this one the same as every one of them, go to the baseball games and go home. Spring football game is just a practice and sometimes not even the last one of Spring training. I'd like to see the "passing of the harness" from Jak to Dak but not at the expense of traffic, parking, etc. There will be video of it all over the place anyway.

I'm just not a fan of tennis, volleyball or softball anywhere/anytime so I'll have to pass on those too. Since they took the arts festival away on the same day its just another 3 day baseball weekend for me.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I use to get fired up about it. Especially the football game. But it seems over the years that our coaches put less and less stock into the scrimmage. It eventually turned into a series of officiated drills. Mullen's first couple of scrimmages were fun.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
It used to be more of an event with the BBQ cookoff and the Cotton District Arts Festival. It has certainly become more watered down in recent years. It's now just become a baseball weekend with a football scrimmage. I'll be in town for the baseball series so I'll go to the spring game for a bit because I am curious to see what our new offense looks like. But really it's just a baseball weekend vs our rival.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'll be there!

I have long advocated to turn the spring game into a game vs a lesser in state school (like MVSU) and sell tickets and treat it more like a regular game. You could still protect the players and work on situational circumstances. Money could go to a charity and/or the visiting team (who probably needs the money badly).

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Starkville needs to put the Arts festival back on SBW. Or if they keep it in the fall it needs to coincide with a home game

It's just not feasible to shut down University Drive for a day during a home football game weekend but they should certainly look into moving it back to a baseball weekend.

Reactions: atomic dawg

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Just not as big event as it used to be. Between the Starkville Mayor and the Previous AD they have about killed it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login